• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon Echo Link

OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see that there is an option on my iPad Amazon music app to airplay it. I don't have any iThingies to airplay to. Any recommendations on simple cheap airplay devices that have optical output? AFAIK, airplay is lossless but not sure if it can do 24/96.

DanGuitarMan

I see that there is an option on my iPad Amazon music app to airplay it. I don't have any iThingies to airplay to. Any recommendations on simple cheap airplay devices that have optical output? AFAIK, airplay is lossless but not sure if it can do 24/96.

I use an older Apple TV with optical out. Your computer will output at 16/44, then airplaying over Apple TV upsamples to 24/48 ALAC.

TheWalkman

DanGuitarMan

TheWalkman

The more I see these Raspberry Pi builds, the more I want to build one. Do you have any experience using these as an airplay endpoints? I wonder how reliable it is. I'm mainly interested in streaming Amazon Music HD to it in 16/44.

I Airplay to the Pi all the time. There‘s a slight delay when you start the stream as the Pi buffers. Volumio let’s you specify how large a buffer you want.

The Pi works, as well, if you want to stream Youtube audio. It syncs the audio with the video perfectly.

You should try it. Using a Pi as an AirPlay endpoint is no more complicated than streaming music from your iPhone or iPad to an Amazon Echo. Best of all, you get high rez audio and a music streamer included as well.

Here’s another, wireless Pi Zero build that works great and makes a fine Airplay endpoint. It uses the Apple DAC and sounds great.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-pi-as-a-music-server.9130/page-5#post-369541

Jorj

Forum Donor
Out of curiosity, it seems like I'm the only person on the thread actually using the Echo Link, so I wondered if any other users could sound off here.

TheWalkman

Out of curiosity, it seems like I'm the only person on the thread actually using the Echo Link, so I wondered if any other users could sound off here.

Jorj,

I looked at the Echo Link when it was introduced but couldn't justify spending $200 for it.

Over the years, I've accumulated quite a little collection of bookshelf speakers, computer speakers and cheap Class D amps. I also have five Echos of different flavors around my house. I've used all of these to create a whole house sound system that works great.

For example, I have an older Echo Dot paired to some Dell computer speakers in my office which sounds good enough for background listening. In my living room and bedroom, I have the Dots as well as the Pi based Volumio streamers attached to bigger speakers and quality amps. In my kitchen, I have an Echo gen 3.

Best of all, with synched Echos, I've essentially created a household Sonos system for a fraction of the cost.

Top Bottom