• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Am I wrong? It seems like there's one significant thing left that could improve audio playback for everyone

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Contrary to the OP's feelings, the last couple years have been an answer to the prayer for those interested
in multich music. The explosion in popularity of Atmos recordings has brought some of the best engineers in
the business (Steven Wilson, James Guthrie, Giles Martin, Sam Okell) back to the console to remaster many of
the most loved and famous popular recordings in history. Replacing the garbage done during the height of the loudness
wars, these new masters, many both in 5.1, Atmos, and stereo have been done with an eye towards bringing out the best sound
quality possible from these older recordings.
There's a revolution going on, be there or be square. LOL
There’s a small “but” here, which is that some of the stereo mixes coming at the same time as the Atmos ones are still compressed. New releases in Atmos and stereo are more trouble in this regard though.

It seems like Atmos is the new vinyl: the next, if better, sop to sound quality while the stereo release is for lowest common denominator car stereo/$5 earbuds.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
There’s a small “but” here, which is that some of the stereo mixes coming at the same time as the Atmos ones are still compressed.
Name them please, and don't use streaming for an example
It seems like Atmos is the new vinyl: the next, if better, sop to sound quality while the stereo release is for lowest common denominator car stereo/$5 earbuds.
If you really care about sound quality, VINYL IS for the lowest common denominator..

Galliardist

Major Contributor

If you really care about sound quality, VINYL IS for the lowest common denominator..
I'm left using streaming as an example in most cases... but the first four tracks of "Nothing but the Truth" by Pineapple Thief, which was demonstrated to me late last year, comes to mind as something I've heard probably as downloads. Excellent Atmos, lousy stereo.

Adele's 30 has been quoted as good in Atmos... not my scene, but it's absolutely crap on the main streaming services (and by all accounts CD). I got it

The last Tears for Fears album had similar treatment as reported here and elsewhere, unless you got one of the very limited edition Steven Wilson mix copies. I've not heard the Atmos but I've heard the stereo release as a download. Oh, dear.

A 5.1 set, some at least of the Fish era Marillion albums: the stereo versions invaded Qobuz and they are bad. My sister's a fan: she bought and promptly sold a couple of releases in that series. She listens regularly to internet radio on an Echo Dot(!) and it takes a lot to upset her. She doesn't have multichannel. I can't confirm the quality of the multichannel releases apart from a quick casual listen to part of the first album, it seemed OK.

I'm guessing, but I suspect if you look there are quite a few more of these around. I hope not. I never ran into a lot of this with SACD which I still occasionally buy when I come across them (but most of mine are classical).

Personally I've reached the point where I hope that all music is multichannel mastered first in the near future, despite my only having stereo: it's time you have to reduce reliance on upmixing, and downmixing dynamic versions would do us stuck in stereo some good. I still may find a way into multichannel, but in my present room it won't happen easily

Still, I'm on a mid 1800's romanticism dive at the moment so I doubt it will bother me for a few months in any meaningful way, fortunately.

And if you know of music (any genre!) where an Atmos mix has sparked an improved stereo remaster, I'd like to know a couple of those examples as well. It would really cheer me up!

Galliardist

Major Contributor

VInyl - I ditched it as well. I got that. What I meant was that the major labels think we only care about sound quality on vinyl (and now Atmos/spatial sound/multichannel) and stereo digital continues to broadly decline outside of the classical - and by that I mean big name orchestral, really - space.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
[imo >> I know not many will sympathize with my rant:]
Would it be considered a crime to think and treat 'music' with kid-gloves?
OR
Should it be considered a crime to process the crap out of 'music' during - not only the recording, but also - the listening stage?

I am not certain that mainstream multi-channel 'music' has really penetrated the market anymore than quadraphonics did back in the 1970s.
I ask the above primarily because the pre-standardized 2-channel 'music' recording - and playback - have been with us for over a half a century; yet we all know well that there are some very atrocious sounding stereo recordings...
And if you know of music (any genre!) where an Atmos mix has sparked an improved stereo remaster, I'd like to know a couple of those examples as well. It would really cheer me up!
We all also know well the complexities of 'just' setting up a basic set of two floor-standing speakers (as a stereo pair)... even absent of a sub...
Audiophiles are finally learning that multich is miles ... ahead of anything 2ch can offer in music reproduction and well worth the investment.
But at what (non-monetary) cost? You've already referenced "during the height of the loudness wars" stereo recordings...
You also commented that:
Phew, and I thought my little 5.2.4 rig got complicated. LOL
Kid-Gloves?:facepalm:
Would you like to mix some Atmos and EQ with that order of music?:facepalm:

Galliardist

Major Contributor
[imo >> I know not many will sympathize with my rant:]
Would it be considered a crime to think and treat 'music' with kid-gloves?
OR
Should it be considered a crime to process the crap out of 'music' during - not only the recording, but also - the listening stage?

I am not certain that mainstream multi-channel 'music' has really penetrated the market anymore than quadraphonics did back in the 1970s.
I ask the above primarily because the pre-standardized 2-channel 'music' recording - and playback - have been with us for over a half a century; yet we all know well that there are some very atrocious sounding stereo recordings...

We all also know well the complexities of 'just' setting up a basic set of two floor-standing speakers (as a stereo pair)... even absent of a sub...

But at what (non-monetary) cost? You've already referenced "during the height of the loudness wars" stereo recordings...
You also commented that:

Kid-Gloves?:facepalm:
Would you like to mix some Atmos and EQ with that order of music?:facepalm:
Good points.

Regarding penetration of Atmos et al, this is a very different time to the quad era. A large percentage of the population has access to things like Apple Spatial (just the phone and AirPods needed!), multichannel audio is out there in home theatre, and VR/AR is on its way in some form which requires audio to work this way - and there’s no hiding place for developers. Audio could be the sticking point.

So? It’s an area we have to watch for music: The thing is, we could end up sidelined. What do people want from AR music? I see a future where the music industry actually decides to stick with bad stereo, and companies pour a fortune into virtual belt drive turntables and Amazon Echo type mono devices. The latter actually make sense for voice interaction, after all.

With VR, a symphony orchestra in your “living room” can actually make sense. There are multiple futures for the consumption of music and now may be the tipping point.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm left using streaming as an example in most cases... but the first four tracks of "Nothing but the Truth" by Pineapple Thief, which was demonstrated to me late last year, comes to mind as something I've heard probably as downloads. Excellent Atmos, lousy stereo.
Like I said, nothing wrong with the DR on Wilson mastered 2ch
I don't see anything wrong with the first 4 or any other?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Nothing But The Truth (2ch LPCM HiRez 48k RT) / Artist: The Pineapple Thief
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR Peak RMS Duration Title [codec]
DR13 -3.39 dB -20.78 dB 5:44 01 - Versions Of The Truth [flac]
DR11 -3.30 dB -18.15 dB 5:01 02 - In Exile [flac]
DR12 -3.31 dB -19.11 dB 4:01 03 - Warm Seas [flac]
DR11 -3.16 dB -17.63 dB 7:17 04 - Our Mire [flac]
DR13 -3.29 dB -20.90 dB 3:45 05 - Build A World [flac]
DR13 -3.29 dB -19.09 dB 4:33 06 - Demons [flac]
DR13 -3.44 dB -19.35 dB 3:33 07 - Driving Like Maniacs [flac]
DR12 -3.28 dB -19.67 dB 4:07 08 - Someone Pull Me Out [flac]
DR12 -3.19 dB -17.64 dB 4:30 09 - Uncovering Your Tracks [flac]
DR13 -3.20 dB -19.23 dB 4:25 10 - Break It All [flac]
DR13 -3.27 dB -18.47 dB 9:48 11 - White Mist [flac]
DR13 -2.95 dB -20.28 dB 4:00 12 - Out Of Line [flac]
DR12 -3.30 dB -18.22 dB 5:25 13 - Wretched Soul [flac]
DR12 -3.34 dB -17.68 dB 4:37 14 - Far Below [flac]
DR12 -3.22 dB -18.79 dB 6:41 15 - Threatening War [flac]
DR12 -3.21 dB -18.30 dB 4:20 16 - The Swell [flac]
DR12 -3.16 dB -19.23 dB 9:44 17 - The Final Thing On My Mind [flac]
DR15 -5.09 dB -25.37 dB 2:27 18 - Chapter 18 [flac]
Number of files: 18
Official DR value: DR12

Sampling rate: 48000 Hz
Average bitrate: 1531kbs
Bits per sample: 24 bit

Yep, the 2ch of Adele 30 is crap average DR6, I don't have a multich of it. It may exist only on the streamers.
I have no interest in her stuff in any case.

The last Tears for Fears album had similar treatment as reported here and elsewhere, unless you got one of the very limited edition Steven Wilson mix copies.
Yes, again the Wilson 2ch master has an excellent DR13 measurement.
I'm not sure what your counter-argument to me is about. If you want the best possible sound you get great gear and
buy the best available recordings. That's what this site is about, separating the good from the crap.

Analyzed: The Hurting (2ch LPCM 96 BDRip) / Artist: Tears For Fears
DR14 -0.10 dB -16.42 dB 4:20 01 - The Hurting [flac]
DR14 -0.00 dB -16.49 dB 3:35 02 - Mad World [flac]
DR13 -0.07 dB -14.66 dB 4:33 03 - Pale Shelter [flac]
DR16 -0.10 dB -18.55 dB 3:45 04 - Ideas as Opiates [flac]
DR14 -0.07 dB -17.44 dB 5:04 05 - Memories Fade [flac]
DR12 -0.09 dB -15.00 dB 3:50 06 - Suffer the Children [flac]
DR13 -0.02 dB -14.44 dB 4:16 07 - Watch Me Bleed [flac]
DR13 -0.00 dB -15.87 dB 4:12 08 - Change [flac]
DR11 -0.22 dB -15.14 dB 2:54 09 - The Prisoner [flac]
DR11 -0.08 dB -15.24 dB 4:54 10 - Start of the Breakdown [flac]
Number of files: 10
Official DR value: DR13

Sampling rate: 96000 Hz
Average bitrate: 2605kbs

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Like I said, nothing wrong with the DR on Wilson mastered 2ch
I don't see anything wrong with the first 4 or any other?
Analyzed: Nothing But The Truth (2ch LPCM HiRez 48k RT) / Artist: The Pineapple Thief
DR13 -3.39 dB -20.78 dB 5:44 01 - Versions Of The Truth [flac]
DR11 -3.30 dB -18.15 dB 5:01 02 - In Exile [flac]
DR12 -3.31 dB -19.11 dB 4:01 03 - Warm Seas [flac]
DR11 -3.16 dB -17.63 dB 7:17 04 - Our Mire [flac]
DR13 -3.29 dB -20.90 dB 3:45 05 - Build A World [flac]
DR13 -3.29 dB -19.09 dB 4:33 06 - Demons [flac]
DR13 -3.44 dB -19.35 dB 3:33 07 - Driving Like Maniacs [flac]
DR12 -3.28 dB -19.67 dB 4:07 08 - Someone Pull Me Out [flac]
DR12 -3.19 dB -17.64 dB 4:30 09 - Uncovering Your Tracks [flac]
DR13 -3.20 dB -19.23 dB 4:25 10 - Break It All [flac]
DR13 -3.27 dB -18.47 dB 9:48 11 - White Mist [flac]
DR13 -2.95 dB -20.28 dB 4:00 12 - Out Of Line [flac]
DR12 -3.30 dB -18.22 dB 5:25 13 - Wretched Soul [flac]
DR12 -3.34 dB -17.68 dB 4:37 14 - Far Below [flac]
DR12 -3.22 dB -18.79 dB 6:41 15 - Threatening War [flac]
DR12 -3.21 dB -18.30 dB 4:20 16 - The Swell [flac]
DR12 -3.16 dB -19.23 dB 9:44 17 - The Final Thing On My Mind [flac]
DR15 -5.09 dB -25.37 dB 2:27 18 - Chapter 18 [flac]
Number of files: 18
Official DR value: DR12

Sampling rate: 48000 Hz
Average bitrate: 1531kbs

Yep, the 2ch of Adele 30 is crap average DR6, I don't have a multich of it. It may exist only on the streamers.
I have no interest in her stuff in any case.

Yes, again the Wilson 2ch master has an excellent DR13 measurement.
I'm not sure what your counter-argument to me is about. If you want the best possible sound you get great gear and
buy the best available recordings. That's what this site is about, separating the good from the crap.

Analyzed: The Hurting (2ch LPCM 96 BDRip) / Artist: Tears For Fears
DR14 -0.10 dB -16.42 dB 4:20 01 - The Hurting [flac]
DR14 -0.00 dB -16.49 dB 3:35 02 - Mad World [flac]
DR13 -0.07 dB -14.66 dB 4:33 03 - Pale Shelter [flac]
DR16 -0.10 dB -18.55 dB 3:45 04 - Ideas as Opiates [flac]
DR14 -0.07 dB -17.44 dB 5:04 05 - Memories Fade [flac]
DR12 -0.09 dB -15.00 dB 3:50 06 - Suffer the Children [flac]
DR13 -0.02 dB -14.44 dB 4:16 07 - Watch Me Bleed [flac]
DR13 -0.00 dB -15.87 dB 4:12 08 - Change [flac]
DR11 -0.22 dB -15.14 dB 2:54 09 - The Prisoner [flac]
DR11 -0.08 dB -15.24 dB 4:54 10 - Start of the Breakdown [flac]
Number of files: 10
Official DR value: DR13

Sampling rate: 96000 Hz
Average bitrate: 2605kbs
DR13 for the Pineapple Thief album? I'm surprised. It doesn't sound like that to me... no brickwall, but no dynamics either. Then again, I heard a 16/44.1 album, not 24/48 as you are quoting. I'll investigate the 24/48, it's on Qobuz. (sometimes streaming comes up trumps after all) and a quick listen suggests it's OK.

For the last Tears for Fears release... that's The Tipping Point, The Hurting being a re-release from 1983. My omission.
1687776842130.png

I think that one makes my point, unless truly exceptional. The normal CD measures as the download. The Qobuz 16/24? It doesn't sound terrible, mostly, but this time a quick listen doesn't suggest it's great either.

Regarding finding the best releases, I agree fully, but I use streaming for casual listening, exploring music forms and different interpretations, and listening to things recommended to me. There is absolutely no reason for a supposedly high quality service to stream crap when something good is available, is there? Except that they can only stream what the copyright holder uploads and allows, which is the point.

My argument isn't really a counter-argument. It's a different point... that not all digital is the same, and stereo listeners can get it in the neck far too often. I continue to try to work out how I can do multichannel in my living room without annoying my partner.

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
Apologies in advance if this post is meandering or unconcise, as if I need an editor, I'm going to try and write this quickly so I don't waste too much time!!!

I sometimes think about "what's next" for the advancement of audio playback and my mind keeps going back to one thing.

First, let me get this out of the way: I think that hardware is at a reasonable place. Yes, I know that transducers and electronics can and will continue to improve. Hopefully, good performance will be had for less money and more convenience in the future.

The thing that I keep thinking about is the source - as in the actual recordings. I know that this isn't a groundbreaking suggestion.
Most of us here know about the "loudness wars".
There's been a million (conservative estimate) circular arguments online that go "digital measures better", "but the vinyl masters are better", "the vinyl pressing masters have been the same as the digital masters for the last 30 or whatever years except with the bass taken out", etc.

Since the introduction of red book CD-DA we've seen plenty of new takes on digital audio:
  • Hi-Res
  • SACD
  • DVD-Audio
  • DSD
  • DXD
  • MQA
  • Apple Spatial Audio
  • Dolby Atmos
  • etc
I'm sure some will disagree with me, but I've written off a lot of above for various reasons: not enough media supported, gimmicky, proprietary hardware or software required, the implementation of the media is questionable, etc.

All of this is to finally bring me to the point I'm trying to make:

I'm beginning to increasingly feel like this hobby is a futile exercise.
We could spend thousands of dollars on the newest and greatest gear.
But to play what? Our poorly mastered records?
Tidal and Apple espouse their new fancy formats that we never wanted or asked for. I get it - the formats can be used as a marketing tool for their streaming platforms, so there's actually a financial impetus there.
The labels don't want to pay money to remaster the compressed records that people are happily buying and streaming. Fair enough.
But why should I spend my money for increasingly incremental improvements when the record labels are the ones with the ability to make the biggest improvements to fidelity?

To those who actually enjoy "audiophile music" and audiophile recordings exclusively: I envy you.

Me? I'm forfeiting my audiophile membership card until there's media that incentivises me to join the club again. I'll stay on the forums tho, that's still fun.

I wrote this while listening to the following record on Spotify through my Bose QuietComfort 35. AAC Bluetooth. No EQ.

View attachment 266987

:)
In my opinion , there is one big black hole of ignorance for most audiophiles regarding two things :

1. What music is ( Its ordered frequencies in the time domain ) .

2. How to set up your two loudspeakers in a real room , listening to music.

Without knowlegde about this it doesnt matter how good your music sources are , or how much money you have spent , - you gonna walk in blindness and the sound will be mediocre at best .

…so the reason for bad sound at home is usually something else than the recordings .

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
big black hole of ignorance for most audiophiles
I am not going to look up your definition of that word!
I am certain that it does not include insults of conscientious music-lovers who aim to use hardware to extract it with as little impact as possible...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My argument isn't really a counter-argument. It's a different point... that not all digital is the same, and stereo listeners can get it in the neck far too often. I continue to try to work out how I can do multichannel in my living room without annoying my partner.
Not all gear is the same, not all releases are the same. That has been true since the beginning of music recording.
Put on your big boy pants and just tell your parnter what your going to do, then do it. ;)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I continue to try to work out how I can do multichannel in my living room without annoying my partner.
Mt first common law was more excited than I about the new stereo gear I would bring home and so we got along well that way. The second common law was commenting about my big KEF speakers, the 3 amps and PEQ crossover assorted stuff. I simply agreed with her that they are large and I dropped the topic...LoL. She certainly did not complain about having music to listen to and movies through the speakers too.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Mt first common law was more excited than I about the new stereo gear I would bring home and so we got along well that way. The second common law was commenting about my big KEF speakers, the 3 amps and PEQ crossover assorted stuff. I simply agreed with her that they are large and I dropped the topic...LoL. She certainly did not complain about having music to listen to and movies through the speakers too.
Mine likes having the stereo, definitely. I’ve involved her in choosing things and it’s all OK. But her hearing problems are such that she can’t cope with surround sound in cinemas, to the extent that she has had to walk out.

So having that at home may just be a step too far.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine likes having the stereo, definitely. I’ve involved her in choosing things and it’s all OK. But her hearing problems are such that she can’t cope with surround sound in cinemas, to the extent that she has had to walk out.

Hmmmz... I never heard of that kind of hearing issue but it makes sense to me that it would be annoying and awkward to listen to. I thank my lucky stars that my hearing is still decent for my age. Considering all the outdoor equipment I've operated extensively. Like bucking up fire wood with 2 stroke chainsaws for about 10 years of winters, a lawn mower for a acre of grass cutting one to two times a week for the entire summer for ~15 years and very loud 2 stroke motorcycles for about 12 years.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
You could always leave the surround off when she's listening and turn it on for you?
I don't know your habits but mine always had me doing my most serious listening alone
at night when she was doing other things or after she went to bed.
Being a devoted motorcyclist and audiophile it was always the requirement for a successful relationship
that she be part of my world. Like if she wasn't into riding, either with me or on her own bike, it would never
work out.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

My last few visits to the cinema have found they often have audio issues, often simply too loud for the particular content (especially content before the movie). I suspect the personnel at the theaters have little actual audio expertise. At least at home you can control the volume and loudness effects.

MacClintock

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I haven't followed the whole thread, yet read the original posting. I don't know about your music taste and maybe not for every music piece there is a good recording available, but in total there is so much extremely well recorded music around that I will not have enough time in my life to listen to all of it. So there in nothing to complain, really.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My last few visits to the cinema have found they often have audio issues, often simply too loud for the particular content (especially content before the movie). I suspect the personnel at the theaters have little actual audio expertise.
Agreed. Much if not most of the theater sound is too loud. Specially when I go to the local IMAX theater, which is about the only one I've gone to in years. I love the SciFi, StarWars, StarTrek, Marvel type films and I want to experience them in their best theater presentation. BUT there's no way in hell they have to be so loud to cause phyiscal pain and ear ringing after exit. I did miss the IMAX run of Guardians Of The Galaxy 3 but since I just got my new 85" Samsung I don't think I'll be too disappointed when the 4k BD is released.
I believe the theaters volume level is dictated by distributors, IMAX, Dolby Labs, whatever. I don't think the individual owners can or are supposed to mess with the volume but I could be wrong? In any case, they're too damn loud.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I'm flabbergasted to observe how the quality of recording can be so different, even sometimes on the same album, not all the tracks are equal. I have been caught in the Dr. Tool "circle of confusion" for a while, trying to find my system's weakness until I concluded that, when fed with high quality recordings, my system is absolutely great and there is absolutely no need to upgrade anything: the problem is in the studio, not in my listening room. Unfortunately, high quality recordings are more than ever a very scarce ressource :mad:
Truth. We are now at the point where bad recordings sound bad if you listen critically. Good recordings sound quite good even on crap systems. It is amazing how the source recording is so important and we have no choice in much of that. I think myself and many others would gladly pay extra for recordings or streaming, that had the same volume from song to song. Also, they were all very high quality in that they were recorded extremely well. I think of the old Telarc recordings for setting up surround sound systems gack about 20 -30 years ago. Once you hear great recorded music or special effects it stays with you on how great it plays.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
You could always leave the surround off when she's listening and turn it on for you?
I don't know your habits but mine always had me doing my most serious listening alone
at night when she was doing other things or after she went to bed.
Being a devoted motorcyclist and audiophile it was always the requirement for a successful relationship
that she be part of my world. Like if she wasn't into riding, either with me or on her own bike, it would never
work out.
Yes, but one thing is that it sits there as an annoying reminder of her problems: and also just fitting multichannel into our living room is a genuine headache.

At tbe moment life is full of her writing deadlines and I’m doing way more listening through headphones. I’m acquiring an interest in spatial audio through headphones and trying/failing there: if I find something that works that may be where I head, given that much of what I listen to is perfectly good in stereo anyway.. Solo instrument recordings and such.

I’m getting interested in the AR thing at the moment. As people have to live in small spaces in larger numbers I suspect it is the future of music and movies in the home, even if the rest doesn’t work out. I may just jump on what Apple are doing and see where it goes.

Top Bottom