• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Am i doing this wrong? Kef Reference 5 Bi-Amping

id.ray

Greetings ASR Family,

I’m new to posting here and have a couple of technical questions that I think I will be able to get straight forward answers from.

I recently came across my “Endgame” speakers at a price I couldn’t say no to, the Kef Reference 5, side note they are amazing.

I’m also a sucker for vintage Yamaha power amps. That’s all I have really known other then AVRS. Maybe it’s the bouncing red lights. The simple geometry, but probably mostly budget constraints. As I picked it up for a Hundred bucks….

I have everything hooked up and it sounds awesome to me. I stream Tidal connect to a Bluesound node 2i, SE out to the Yamaha C-60 pre amp, from there SE out to matching Yamaha M-60 Power amp. And from there using modest speaker wire to the Reference 5. All is good and I really couldn’t ask for more.

As a audio junkie on a budget…. Scrounging fb market etc., I came across another Yamaha M-60 power amp for you guessed it, a hundred bucks and picked it up. Seems to work great and preformed the basic maintenance checks from the service manual. Setting the pots to 10mv at idol.

Now comes the real question…. And maybe I’m nuts “this is where you guys come in”

I would like to hook up both Stereo “non bridgeable” power amps, one to each speaker.

My thought was From Each channel of the pre amp, Y-split to both cannels of the power amp. Remove the link of the KEFS and run “left channel” to the highs and “right channel” to the lows and do the same for the other speaker, effectively Bi-amping.

Is this a great idea, a bad idea, a pointless idea and why,

I have attached the specs of the power amp, the pre amp and the impedance curve of the ref 5.

Thank you all so much for any input.

Attachments

• c60 specs.JPG
    c60 specs.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 55
  • C-60.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 45
  • m60 specs.JPG
    m60 specs.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Reference5_impedance.jpg
    Reference5_impedance.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Yamaha-M-60-Owners-Manual.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
OP
id.ray

id.ray

Found this on YouTube, maybe he's doing what im describing....

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to hook up both Stereo “non bridgeable” power amps, one to each speaker.
Normally one amp would be bass LR and the other would be treble LR. First though you need a crossover (electronic or digital). You also need speakers that are provisioned for bi-amping.

Last edited:

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I wouldn't do it that way. (OK, I wouldn't at all, still, if I wanted to play around, I wouldn't do that).

You're going for some strange option where it's not mono blocks (and is not bridged and you don't want to for some reason), but the configuration is LIKE mono blocks.

Left channel needs left lows and left highs. The right channel needs the opposite.

You'd split the signal with Y, which means both power amps get the full signal... And you'd send half of the stereo image to your highs and half to your lows.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Side note:

M60 is very capable and very low distortion, measured down to 2 ohms. So, at least one thing is certain. You could do it for some personal subjective aesthetics. You shouldn't expect much improvement.

OP
id.ray

id.ray

Normally one amp would be bass LR and the would be treble LR. First though you need a crossover (electronic or digital). You also need speakers that are provisioned for bi-amping.
The Speakers are capable of bi-amping by removing the links/jumper

Wouldn't there be an advantage to using one amp per speaker, as there would effectively be the same "cross talk" to each channel and strain the amp less as each one is has its full available power to the whole channel as apposed to the again identical amp. trying to just drive all the bass and the other just driving the mids and highs

Attachments

• kef manual.JPG
    kef manual.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 108
  • kef_ref_1_term1.jpg
    kef_ref_1_term1.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 105

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't do it that way. (OK, I wouldn't at all, still, if I wanted to play around, I wouldn't do that).
But that is how bi-amping works.
You're going for some strange option where it's not mono blocks (and is not bridged and you don't want to for some reason), but the configuration is LIKE mono blocks.
No, that is how bi-amping works.
Left channel needs left lows and left highs. The right channel needs the opposite.
You could do it that way but without a proper crossover you're wasting your time.
You'd split the signal with Y, which means both power amps get the full signal... And you'd send half of the stereo image to your highs and half to your lows.
Huh?

source > pre-amp > cross over > amp 1 treble to treble on speaker amp 2 to bass on speaker

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Speakers are capable of bi-amping by removing the links/jumper
One problem solved.
Wouldn't there be an advantage to using one amp per speaker, as there would effectively be the same "cross talk" to each channel and strain the amp less as each one is has its full available power to the whole channel as apposed to the again identical amp. trying to just drive all the bass and the other just driving the mids and highs
No, yes, maybe. If you're stacking the amps it makes sense to have the bass amp on top for best cooling. Your way doubles heat on one side.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
But that is how bi-amping works.

No, that is how bi-amping works.

You could do it that way but without a proper crossover you're wasting your time.

Huh?

source > pre-amp > cross over > amp 1 treble to treble on speaker amp 2 to bass on speaker
This is a more common way of bi-amping
biamp-H-300x271.jpg

What you say makes sense only with a x-over. I don't see OP mentioning one.

I don't see this mentioned.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
both power amps get the full signal..
Defeats the purpose of bi-amping.
This is a more common way of bi-amping
biamp-H-300x271.jpg

What you say makes sense only with a x-over. I don't see OP mentioning one.

I don't see this mentioned.
Like I told him a crossover was needed to proper bi-amp. The picture above is what I also told him.

killdozzer

Major Contributor

Like I told him a crossover was needed to proper bi-amp. The picture above is what I also told him.
Then there was a misunderstanding. And you're correcting me in what I tried to correct in OP's question. read again:

See. This is why I said I wouldn't do it that way. And I don't think you read it closely. As I said, the way he described it, it looks like a configuration for mono-block, but amps left in stereo.

I think you misunderstood. You and I are saying the same thing, but he asked for something that doesn't look healthy to me.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The idea makes perfect sense essentially. Since the amps are not the same, you use one for the lows, one for the highs. That should even out most of the differences as long as you match the gains. So yes, this would work.

That IS bi-amping. Anything else makes it an active system, not just bi-amped.

Now the question is why one would do all this if you don’t make the system truly active? Basically it’s not worth all the trouble. You probably won’t notice the difference if you do a proper controlled test.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's what I'M SAYING he shouldn't do for the exact reason you're mentioning. I'm not saying do it that way, I'm saying it makes no sense.
Agreed.

OP
id.ray

id.ray

The idea makes perfect sense essentially. Since the amps are not the same, you use one for the lows, one for the highs. That should even out most of the differences as long as you match the gains. So yes, this would work.

That IS bi-amping. Anything else makes it an active system, not just bi-amped.

Now the question is why one would do all this if you don’t make the system truly active? Basically it’s not worth all the trouble. You probably won’t notice the difference if you do a proper controlled test.

They are both the same amplifier both Yamaha M- 60 i attached the manual in the first post

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They are both the same amplifier both Yamaha M- 60 i attached the manual in the first post
Then you could do it either way. But I would not bother.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Then you could do it either way. But I would not bother.
I agree. About all you could accomplish is to change the relative levels of the drivers. Which, if the speakers are competently designed, is a bad idea. Otherwise if you get the relative levels back to what the factory intended, you've accomplished basically nothing.

Bi-amping is a boutique idea with no basis in science. I guess people do it because it's different.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bi-amping is a bouitique idea with no basis in science. I guess people do it because it's different.
Active bi-amping is the cat’s meow.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Active bi-amping is the cat’s meow.
I have a fully active system, with DSP crossover at line level to three separate amps. So, you're preaching to the choir ;)

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom