• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Alternative to Roon....

MarkHH

If you have an old Intel PC / MacMini and run plex on that it actually does sonic analysis of the tracks and will suggesting similar albums and similar tracks to the ones you are playing and some of the suggested playlists are autogenerated from sonic similar tracks. The reason this isn't available when deploying the plex server on a RPI is they use some Intel GPU architecture (for transcoding movie content on the fly) and this sonic analysis tries to re-use the same GPU.

I have 2 Plex servers for this reason - one mainly for Movies / TV shows / LiveTV / Audiobooks (happily running on a RPI) and one dedicated to Music on a small intel linux PC.
My Plex server runs on an Asustor NAS (Celeron N3050 based) and is still very busy with the sonic analysis. At a rate of approx 10 albums per hour it will take until autumn for me to use this feature ;)

But besides that - for serving music Plex uses almost no ressources at all ... especially when compared with roon.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Cost: Lifetime license. Pretty much a no brainer if you plan on using roon.

I doubt I need to upgrade my M1 MacBook in the next 10 years for roon.

Support & online: yeah both suck. Roon support is probably the worst there is. Better not dare asking a question because there is always the risk that you get banned for 1-3 months.

They should at least offer the option to use a basic version of roon 2.0 without internet or at least with only logging in every 24-48 hours.

MarkHH

Cost: Lifetime license. Pretty much a no brainer if you plan on using roon.

I doubt I need to upgrade my M1 MacBook in the next 10 years for roon.

Support & online: yeah both suck. Roon support is probably the worst there is. Better not dare asking a question because there is always the risk that you get banned for 1-3 months.

They should at least offer the option to use a basic version of roon 2.0 without internet or at least with only logging in every 24-48 hours.
Frankly I got no idea how Streaming will look like in 10 years time, neither do I know how long roon will exist … I wish them very well, though, they do a decent job.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My NAS btw., which was too old & too slow for running the roon server software since rel. 2.0 is idling along when I play my music with Plex. And the annual fee for the Plex Pass required to run PlexAmp is US-$ 39,99 - a fraction of roon's annual subscription fee.

I paid $74.99 for a lifetime PlexPass in 2014, it's the gift that keeps on giving :)

Did you install Plex server using the AsusStor app store or manually using the package supplied by Plex? I packages on the NAS app stores are usually quite old.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you have an old Intel PC / MacMini and run plex on that it actually does sonic analysis of the tracks and will suggesting similar albums and similar tracks to the ones you are playing and some of the suggested playlists are autogenerated from sonic similar tracks. The reason this isn't available when deploying the plex server on a RPI is they use some Intel GPU architecture (for transcoding movie content on the fly) and this sonic analysis tries to re-use the same GPU.

I have 2 Plex servers for this reason - one mainly for Movies / TV shows / LiveTV / Audiobooks (happily running on a RPI) and one dedicated to Music on a small intel linux PC.

Plex does Sonic Analysis on my Intel based Synology NAS (DS920+)

Stokdoof

Forum Donor
I hate Roon these days. This because of the move to Arc replacing the older Roon app. As a lifetime subscriber I am really disappointed. Roon is not what it was before the move to Arc. The old Roon app at least fitted full screen on my ipad the Arc app only shows small. Also the older Roon app just looked nicer.

MarkHH

I paid $74.99 for a lifetime PlexPass in 2014, it's the gift that keeps on giving :)

Did you install Plex server using the AsusStor app store or manually using the package supplied by Plex? I packages on the NAS app stores are usually quite old.
i install manually using the stable releases ... and yes, $74,99 is a great bargain!

PaulZH

I hate Roon these days. This because of the move to Arc replacing the older Roon app. As a lifetime subscriber I am really disappointed. Roon is not what it was before the move to Arc. The old Roon app at least fitted full screen on my ipad the Arc app only shows small. Also the older Roon app just looked nicer.
I still use the legacy ipad app inhouse next to Arc when I’m out.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm using it on my iPad now, full screen, no problem.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I use a Chrome plugin I wrote, which works with allmusic.com and either Tidal, Qobuz or Deezer. When you navigate to an album page on allmusic, there's a button to search for that album on one of the three services, then play it on a WiiM (Mini or Pro). Works nicely. Allmusic is the source of metadata for most 3rd party music apps, including Roon. I simply can't justify paying for Roon as a jazz album listener.

1687455772043.png

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I simply can't justify paying for Roon as a jazz album listener.
One thing I like about the Roon Metadata is if you like an artist playing on a particular track, you can quickly find out who it is and, with a click, zoom in on their recordings. I was introduced to Ulysses Owens that way, I think via Christian McBride.

OH WAIT, I'm an ASR objectivist, I don't listen to music. Never mind.

Music&equipment

You might be interested in idagio https://www.idagio.com . It is not only an app but also a streaming platform; however you can use it for free with almost all features enabled. It is devoted to classical music, and it has the very feature you mentioned: identifying an opus and listing all its interpretations. For instance, searching for Eine Kleine Nachtmusik offers to select the composer (first choice), or the opus (second choice, with the icon of a G key), or a specific interpretation:

View attachment 254462

If you select the opus, you are offered a very well-curated list of interpretations with faceted browsing (by conductors, Ensemble: see below, but also (below on the page), by soloists, Instruments.

View attachment 254463

This is really wonderful. I use Qobuz because I don't want the music to be limited to classical but I do agree that the way of browsing into classical music collection could be different than the way of browsing amongst most other musical genres.
Hey there !For me, IDAGIO is the best for classical music, by far far away ! I believe is the only (until now) "genuine" Classical platform /streaming service /program ? say it whatever you like. I have (and I'm) listening to a lot of that kind of music (the last around 20 years), and i haven't seen any better!

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey there !For me, IDAGIO is the best for classical music, by far far away ! I believe is the only (until now) "genuine" Classical platform /streaming service /program ? say it whatever you like. I have (and I'm) listening to a lot of that kind of music (the last around 20 years), and i haven't seen any better!
I love IDAGIO. Wish I could integrate into Roon tho.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I’m curious if you’ve compared IDAGIO to Apple Classical?

Vinman

I think that in this respect Roon is unique. You will not find an alternative to it. But the reason is rather that it's not (just) clever algorithms, but simply a lot of manual work that the people at Roon put into it to maintain the metadata. That costs money. In my opinion, they should be paid for that.
I agree, they should be compensated. My sense is that a subscription fee is onerous, and $700 for a “lifetime license” is a cost barrier for most end users. Edit - apparently it’s gone up considerably from $700. Ugh.

Last edited:

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I think that in this respect Roon is unique. You will not find an alternative to it. But the reason is rather that it's not (just) clever algorithms, but simply a lot of manual work that the people at Roon put into it to maintain the metadata. That costs money. In my opinion, they should be paid for that.
One could say the same about AI, and plenty of news and other sources are currently suing the AI vendors for using their content without paying for it.

I suspect that pretty much anything Roon can do in the way of metadata can be done using AI. Perhaps someone is already working on a Roon-like UI with an AI backend.

Here's a simple prompt and response from Bard.

> write an article about the album "you are there" with Roberta gambarini and Hank jones

A Spirited Duet: Roberta Gambarini and Hank Jones Paint Timeless Jazz Masterpieces in "You Are There"​

Released in 2007, "You Are There" is not just an album by Roberta Gambarini and Hank Jones. It's a masterclass in the art of jazz vocal artistry, an intimate conversation between two musical giants, and a timeless testament to the enduring power of melody and storytelling.

Gambarini, with her crystal-clear vocals and nuanced phrasing, inherits the legacy of jazz greats like Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday, yet injects her own charm and interpretive depth. Each song becomes a personal narrative, her voice gliding effortlessly from playful swing in "You're Getting to Be a Habit with Me" to the aching introspection of "Lush Life."

And then there's Hank Jones. A legend in his own right, Jones weaves magic on the piano, his touch both delicate and thunderous, his every note a conversation with Gambarini's vocal melody. He's not just an accompanist; he's an equal partner, pushing and pulling the music, adding emotional colors and improvisational flourishes that leave you breathless.

The album's strength lies in its simplicity. Recorded in a single afternoon without rehearsals or overdubs, "You Are There" captures the raw energy and spontaneity of a live performance. Each song feels like a rediscovery, a fresh take on classics like "Stardust" and "Deep Purple," alongside lesser-known gems like the title track, a Johnny Mandel ballad that blossoms under Gambarini's touch.

Their musical chemistry is palpable. There's a telepathic understanding between them, a dance of anticipation and response that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Gambarini stretches out on a phrase, and Jones fills the space with a perfectly placed chord. She throws in a playful scat, and he dances around it with a shimmering run. It's pure jazz joy, improvised poetry played out in real time.

"You Are There" is more than just an album; it's an experience. It's a warm embrace on a rainy day, a glass of fine wine in a dimly lit room, a late-night conversation with an old friend. It's a reminder that jazz, at its heart, is about connection, about the magic that happens when two souls come together and create something beautiful, something that transcends time and genre.

So, if you're looking for an album that will transport you, that will make you fall in love with the art of jazz all over again, put on "You Are There" and let Roberta Gambarini and Hank Jones take you on a journey. You won't be disappointed.

Here are some albums similar to "You Are There" by Roberta Gambarini and Hank Jones:

• Billie Holiday with Teddy Wilson: This 1938 collection features Billie Holiday at the peak of her powers, backed by the impeccable Teddy Wilson orchestra. The album includes timeless classics like "God Bless the Child" and "Strange Fruit," delivered with Holiday's signature blend of vulnerability and strength.
    Image of Billie Holiday with Teddy Wilson album cover Opens in a new window www.discogs.com
    Billie Holiday with Teddy Wilson album cover
  • Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong: This 1956 album is a meeting of two of jazz's most iconic figures. Fitzgerald's scat singing and Armstrong's gravelly vocals blend perfectly on playful tracks like "Can't We Be Friends" and "You Make Me Feel So Young."
    Image of Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong album cover Opens in a new window www.udiscovermusic.com
    Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong album cover
  • Carmen McRae with Bud Powell: This 1958 album features Carmen McRae's smoky, expressive vocals backed by the legendary pianist Bud Powell. The album includes a mix of standards and originals, all delivered with McRae's characteristic intensity and intelligence.
    Image of Carmen McRae with Bud Powell album cover Opens in a new window www.dustygroove.com
    Carmen McRae with Bud Powell album cover
  • Nina Simone Sings the Blues: This 1967 album showcases Nina Simone's raw power and emotional depth. She tackles blues classics like "Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out" and "Black Is the Color of My True Love's Hair" with a ferocity that is both mesmerizing and unsettling.
    Image of Nina Simone Sings the Blues album cover Opens in a new window www.amazon.com
    Nina Simone Sings the Blues album cover
  • Sarah Vaughan with Clifford Brown: This 1954 album features Sarah Vaughan's soaring vocals backed by the Clifford Brown quintet. The album includes a mix of ballads and uptempo numbers, all delivered with Vaughan's signature virtuosity and grace.
    Image of Sarah Vaughan with Clifford Brown album cover Opens in a new window en.wikipedia.org
    Sarah Vaughan with Clifford Brown album cover

These are just a few suggestions, and there are many other great albums out there that you might enjoy. If you're looking for something specific, like a particular style or era of jazz, I'd be happy to give you some more recommendations.

I hope this helps!

Roger_

Does anybody know if there is music server software available, cheaper than Roon, which can connect to a Roon endpoint? Apparently the Denon and Marantz AVR will get Roon endpoint functionality. I dont need any of the Roon metadata information and streaming options but it should only be able to play local multi-channel FLAC's files (Hoes can't do that).

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
Does anybody know if there is music server software available, cheaper than Roon, which can connect to a Roon endpoint? Apparently the Denon and Marantz AVR will get Roon endpoint functionality. I dont need any of the Roon metadata information and streaming options but it should only be able to play local multi-channel FLAC's files (Hoes can't do that).
You may not necessarily need Roon endpoint functionality. I use Logitech Media Server (LMS), which is free. It connects to all of my devices, two of which include Roon functionality, but it connects via UPnP/DLNA. LMS also will stream via Chromecast, SlimProto, AIrplay, etc.

Give it a try. Like I said, it's free. So, if it doesn't work out for you, no money lost.

Top Bottom