• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This is absurd! The ROON windows app draws about 80 to 90W using my GPU.

Did you notice an high power usage (>50W) of the Roon Windows app on your own PC?

• Yes - Power Usage > 80W

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - Power Usage > 50W

• Yes - Power Usage > 30W

• Total voters

kacos

What happens to your GPU if you close the roon app?
it runs the Windows GUI - even if you take the mouse over the HWinfo program it goes up:

1698251955778.png

OP
ironhorse128

ironhorse128

Forum Donor
@Apesbrain: Thanks for the link. This seems to be the issue. Roon uses openGL to render the frontend. I just do not understand what the 50x50 pixels animation is they are talking about. Also my high power draw also occurs when the app is only in the background. But

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks to me like a very poor implementation of GPU compute. Instead of just doing that little bit of processing on the CPU, Roon is making the system spend a lot of cycles moving data to the GPU, do that little bit of processing, and spend a lot of cycles moving the results back from the GPU (left is from the screen snip in post #1 with Roon running, right is without).

GPU_Power_Draw.png

From 2.5 GT/s to 16 GT/s is an increase of many 10's of GB/s of memory transfer. Below from Wikipedia.

pcie speed.png

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How do you know its Roon?
I took OP's word that Roon was the only difference between the 2 screen captures. And I assumed that OP had verified that the effect was repeatable.

kacos

I took OP's word that Roon was the only difference between the 2 screen captures. And I assumed that OP had verified that the effect was repeatable.
as I said, Windows and any app with a GUI is using the GPU
Not so easy to pin-point the GPU usage, as it varies

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently noticed that my PC was consuming a significant amount power. I found out that the problem is the roon windows app (not the server, just the windows client), which draws about 80 watts using my GPU.
Also my high power draw also occurs when the app is only in the background.

Mining Bitcoin? ;)

Reactions: NTK

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wow. I'd definitely be wanting a cut/return on my annual investment there. Unless it is malware...
But I guess seeing as Foobar is free and using 8W plus minimal resources, I will just watch this thread smugly...

Tho I am actually curious to know what Rune is doing that is so power intensive...

Last edited:
OP
ironhorse128

ironhorse128

Forum Donor
as I said, Windows and any app with a GUI is using the GPU
Not so easy to pin-point the GPU usage, as it varies
I replicated the shift from high power drown to low power draw 20 times already. It is the roon app. And the reasons seems to be that they implemented the gui using open gl. But did a very poor job doing so.

OP
ironhorse128

ironhorse128

Forum Donor
I was hoping that other users can replicate this behavior and maybe find a fix or workaround.

This is just not a normal behavior and nobody would assume that just leaving the roon app open would draw that much power.

kacos

I was hoping that other users can replicate this behavior and maybe find a fix or workaround.

This is just not a normal behavior and nobody would assume that just leaving the roon app open would draw that much power.
well, if you think it's not normal then you better post your findings in the Roon forum

D

Deleted member 48726

Do this and choose integrated graphics for the Roon application..

1698291095670.png

AlfaNovember

I can report similarly underwhelming efficiency on my MacBook Air (2019, Intel i3, basest of base models). Approx 20% GPU while the app is only displaying the playback activity between a separate Roon server and a Pi+dac streamer.

As for reporting on their forum - You can try, but... temper your expectations. They moderate actively (a laudable practice) and seem slightly uninterested in customer feedback about the core function of the product (although in fairness, they did incorporate one of my minor UI suggestions.)

I quite like Roon, but I imagine dealing with a customer base of neurotic audiophiles of widely variable technical acumen must be taxing.
Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 9.20.23 PM.png

OP
ironhorse128

ironhorse128

Forum Donor
Do this and choose integrated graphics for the Roon application..

View attachment 321245
That is really an excellent tip. This should solve the issue.

I tried it but it does not to reduce the GPU power draw. My NVidia control center looks a bit different and has different option. I will try to make tinker with this a bit more.

nvcplui_7LFsON1fDE.png

Top Bottom