• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

All-round headphones suggestions

nycarrival

Hello all,

I need your help. I had a pair of HD600 however got complains from my famili they can hear my music. Also, I did not quite get used to the fact that I am getting non-leather cushions.

I am seeing some options for Audeze LCD-2 closed and Focal Elegia. Will I compromise much for going the closed option? I am leaning towards Audeze LCD-2 closed - US made and leather. What would be your sugesstions? I will be mainly listening through Topping DX3 Pro and sometimes via my vintage Sansui receiver.

Thanks!

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Will I compromise much for going the closed option?
I don't think there's a correlation between sound quality and sealed or open. But open may give you the feeling of better sound and maybe for other people it's the opposite... I prefer not to be "isolated".

The AKG K371 is sealed/closed and highly-rated for the price. But it's doesn't have real leather and it seems to have a reputation for being "flimsy".

however got complains from my famili they can hear my music.
I don't think any headphones completely block the sound.

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ReluctantGT

You'll definitely notice a big difference in tone with the LCD-2 closed compared to the HD600. I much prefer the LCD-2 tuning, since I find the HD600 pretty bass-light. They're going to be much heavier, if that matters.

No experience with the Elegia. You might also consider one of the Dan Clark Aeon closed models. I've got the Aeon X closed and have been really happy. Great isolation, very comfortable. The tuning is nice as-is (and they come with filters to play with), but really great with EQ.

OP
N

nycarrival

Do I take it that Audeze LCD-2 is not going to be my best choice? Dan Clark is a bit over my budget - I would like to stay up to £600 and I can get a pair of Audeze for that range (open box).

ReluctantGT

Sometimes these go on sale. I got mine 30% off

You may have been looking at the AEON 2 Noire, which are more expensive.

OP
N

nycarrival

I get it now. This is complicated - shipping to the UK, import charges, ... unsure if it is worth going through the hassles. Thanks though!

OP
N

nycarrival

A quick question - between these two - which one should I go for? RT or Open X?

Top Bottom