• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

All Aboard the FiiO K9 Pro Hype Train

Dealux

I got a new unit myself a while back. It works well now except that I get this weird skipping with MQA content when I skip to a different part of a song. It seems to skip a bunch of samples before it resumes playback. I'm not comfortable tinkering with the firmware on this unit though lol.

Gagga

The support site actually mentions to use their supplied cable.
That's a bit concerning ... Where on the support site is this mentioned? I'd like to be able to use any USB cables without worrying about their functionality, lol.

raif71

Major Contributor
I have both the AKM and the ESS version of the K9 Pro, and I use an aftermarket USB-B and USB-C cable with both with no issues
Can you hear the difference in sound between AKM and ESS?
5201459.jpg

PcChip

oh yes, there's a huge difference in sound between them

this is what I wrote up to a friend the other day:

The difference between them is as big as the difference between the Holo May and Rockna WaveDream
The AKM is very laid back, the ESS feels like it has a cold edge of in-your-face'ness but comes off as much more detailed
The AKM I can comfortably listen to at a higher volume
My suggestion is basically this: If you get musical enjoyment from detail, use the ESS at a lower volume. If you get musical enjoyment from bass and power, use the AKM at a higher volume

Last edited:

Dealux

oh yes, there's a huge difference in sound between them

this is what I wrote up to a friend the other day:

The difference between them is as big as the difference between the Holo May and Rockna WaveDream
The AKM is very laid back, the ESS feels like it has a cold edge of in-your-face'ness but comes off as much more detailed
The AKM I can comfortably listen to at a higher volume
My suggestion is basically this: If you get musical enjoyment from detail, use the ESS at a lower volume. If you get musical enjoyment from bass and power, use the AKM at a higher volume
Where do you get your cocaine?

PcChip

another thing is that the ESS version demands your attention and it's harder to concentrate on other things while listening
with the AKM I can much more easily focus on tasks while listening to background music from it

maybe because it's just more "laid back", or maybe it's the oversampling algorithm used by the DAC chip, who knows

Dealux

Do you have both units of AKM and ESS as well?
No, only the AKM because it seemed to be the cheaper version at the time. Why would they sound different though? I have yet to hear an actual difference between DACs, even stuff that's really cheap sounds the same.

raif71

Major Contributor
No, only the AKM because it seemed to be the cheaper version at the time. Why would they sound different though? I have yet to hear an actual difference between DACs, even stuff that's really cheap sounds the same.
That's fine and dandy but since you don't own both version of the Fiio K9 then I'd rather believe the person that own both units, at least I'd give the owner the benefit of the doubt. The owner has sat through perhaps countless hours of listening, played with the units multiple times so by virtue of that has my attention. About volume matching, I'm sure that the owner has played with both units volume umpteenth times to be able to earball what volume is suitable and ultimately find that the units sound different. Doesn't take rocket science to figure this out. :)

Dealux

That's fine and dandy but since you don't own both version of the Fiio K9 then I'd rather believe the person that own both units, at least I'd give the owner the benefit of the doubt. The owner has sat through perhaps countless hours of listening, played with the units multiple times so by virtue of that has my attention. About volume matching, I'm sure that the owner has played with both units volume umpteenth times to be able to earball what volume is suitable and ultimately find that the units sound different. Doesn't take rocket science to figure this out. :)
Sighted tests are worthless.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
using the source switch on the goldpoint, when you flip back and forth between them the difference is extremely obvious
Are you not keen to find out exactly why that is? Because it shouldn't be.

Top Bottom