• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

All Aboard the FiiO K9 Pro Hype Train

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Don't know if it's true but considering all the past issues with the K9 it wouldn't really surprise me if it was.

Seems like FiiO spend a lot more time and effort on snake oil that supposedly justifies the absurd price then they did on engineering.

Gagga

Is this device able to run multiple headphones at once? And through which outputs (all three at once, 2x balanced and/or 1x unbalanced + 1x balanced)? I am assuming the latter combo, but I'm a newbie.

How can one easily figure this out for amps in general?

Gagga

Yes, all three at the same time.
Thanks! Could you teach me how I'd know this for amps in general?

Also, does anyone know how this compares to the Topping DX7 Pro in terms of sound, soundstage etc.? It's like half the price of the K9 where I live, but I'm pretty sure the DX7 Pro can't run all three outputs at once, since the A90 apparently isn't able to.

DEALUX

Thanks! Could you teach me how I'd know this for amps in general?

Also, does anyone know how this compares to the Topping DX7 Pro in terms of sound, soundstage etc.? It's like half the price of the K9 where I live, but I'm pretty sure the DX7 Pro can't run all three outputs at once, since the A90 apparently isn't able to.
It's all subjectivist nonsense. I don't think this unit sounds any different to other cheap amp/DACs that I've tested in the past. The main issue now is whether or not this DAC has firmware issues or some potentially serious hardware related issues that cause the intermittent sound. I seriously recommend against buying the K9 until someone can definitively confirm that the issue is firmware only.

Vitali

I seriously recommend against buying the K9 until someone can definitively confirm that the issue is firmware only.
What is the point of not recommending the K9 for purchase if it has been out of stock for a long time? Or are you talking about the ESS version?
As far as I know, K9 AKM, 1000 pieces were produced, or even 2000. In general, this does not matter anymore, because. five or six dissatisfied users, out of this amount of K9 sold, that's a very small percentage. And yes, my K9 AKM doesn't have the problems you listed.

Last edited:

DEALUX

What is the point of not recommending the K9 for purchase if it has been out of stock for a long time? Or are you talking about the ESS version?
As far as I know, K9 AKM, 1000 pieces were produced, or even 2000. In general, this does not matter anymore, because. five or six dissatisfied users, out of this amount of K9 sold, that's a very small percentage. And yes, my K9 AKM doesn't have the problems you listed.
Except most users encountering this issue are probably just returning or RMA-ing their units. I only found their forum because I looked up the issue online.

BTW, which firmware version are you on? v1.13?

redjr

Nor has my K9 exhibited this behavior. Fingers crossed. :)

AmalfiMan

Yes, all three at the same time.
You recommend the k9 pro ess? I just placed an order to replace the topping ex5.
I need IN rca ports and usb and Bluetooth 5.1 and an EQ. K9 offers this.

AmalfiMan

Sorry, but I cannot recommend Fiio products.
Because of price? 850 is double its worth?
This device may be the only one under $1,000 that has multiple ports such as USB, IN RCA, Bluetooth, EQ.

Last edited:

coolajami

Because of price? 850 is double its worth?
This device may be the only one under $1,000 that has multiple ports such as USB, IN RCA, Bluetooth, EQ.
Hold on a sec, is there an EQ in K9?! I haven’t seen such info anywhere. I suppose it is possible to get an EQ in the control app for the BT streaming, but I don’t think it would be possible for any of the other input ports (if it did the 850$ would be a steal).

I think for the 850$ you can possibly find better alternatives e.g I'm thinking the mid-level Schitt stack Magnius/Modius with balanced inputs/outputs, plus you can throw a good streamer into the mix and still save enough money to add a Lokius EQ on top of the stack, and even then you may still have saved some money. You're sacrificing the MQA and app control but I don't find a reason for paying for any of this.

AmalfiMan

Hold on a sec, is there an EQ in K9?! I haven’t seen such info anywhere. I suppose it is possible to get an EQ in the control app for the BT streaming, but I don’t think it would be possible for any of the other input ports (if it did the 850$ would be a steal).

I think for the 850$ you can possibly find better alternatives e.g I'm thinking the mid-level Schitt stack Magnius/Modius with balanced inputs/outputs, plus you can throw a good streamer into the mix and still save enough money to add a Lokius EQ on top of the stack, and even then you may still have saved some money. You're sacrificing the MQA and app control but I don't find a reason for paying for any of this.
I just got the K9 and it doesn’t work. But if it did, the BT with EQ for tv watching is handy.

AmalfiMan

But no Bluetooth.

coolajami

But no Bluetooth.
I don't think there is much there to miss, that you wouldn't be able to get with an external BT streamer. Prices start from 50$. Possible you may get more with an external streamer, I would personally opt for a joint WiFi/BT streamer.

Another thing is that apparently, K9 uses BLE for connecting with the control app. I have a couple of devices that are using the same type of connection for controlling them from the phone, and I simply just hate them. Takes ages for the app to find and connect with the device, they have slow response and they lose connection the moment you close the app though they still requite to be connected through BT all-the-time! I wouldn't be very excited about the prospect of adding one more device to my setup.

TBH the thing I like the most is the volume button with the led ring, I have the K5 Pro and looks pretty cool.

AmalfiMan

Dead how lol? It doesn't power on or does it have the red ring of death?
No red ring. Just no sound although its setup correctly. I am using the 6.3mm for HD800S. For now, I switched back to the topping ex5. I may just return the k9.

Top Bottom