• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKM is DEAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lossless

Is AKM blatantly lying about the new AKM-AK4499EX chip being better? Here is the 117 page original AKM AK4499EQ chip’s data sheet. https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data Sheets/AKM Semiconductor Inc. PDFs/AK4499_Feb2019.pdf.

The new AKM-AK4499EX chip is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT 64pin outsourced chip, compared to the original AK4499EQ 128pin chip. The vague 5 page EX data sheet tells the sad story. https://www.akm.com/content/dam/doc...6hwMiO92qO68IAsc4SGcq-j7-HpS8ijlZHJ6gw5Z3MDxw

Sadly the AKM plant fire completely destroyed AKM’s FAB line and Japan manufacturing plant. Currently There’s no plant rebuilding going on. https://evertiq.com/design/51427 AKM latest chips are outsourced to generic chip manufactures. AKM’s original FAB line was state of the art and produced the highest measuring 128pin 32bit DAC chip ever, the AK4499EQ. The most other chip competition had were 64pin DAC chips.

I learned a long long time ago to read behind the lines. Just because it’s newer and companies claim it’s better, doesn’t mean it is. Sadly the audiophile industry still has dishonest snake-oil sales teams who’s only intention seems to be to upsell their products.

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I did not know that the quality of the chips could be evaluated by the number of pins?

oleg87

The vague 5 page EX data sheet tells the sad story

It's a product brief you silly person

the full datasheet seems to be freely available for download on the AKM website, provided you register. i have insufficient interest in what the "missing" 64 pins do to find out myself... though the non-EX version seems to be 2-channel as opposed to 4-channel, which gives me some idea

Last edited:
Reactions: Zvu
OP
L

Lossless

Is AKM blatantly lying about the new AKM-AK4499EX chip being better? Here is the 117 page original AKM AK4499EQ chip’s data sheet. https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data Sheets/AKM Semiconductor Inc. PDFs/AK4499_Feb2019.pdf.

The new AKM-AK4499EX chip is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT 64pin outsourced chip, compared to the original AK4499EQ 128pin chip. The vague 5 page EX data sheet tells the sad story. https://www.akm.com/content/dam/doc...6hwMiO92qO68IAsc4SGcq-j7-HpS8ijlZHJ6gw5Z3MDxw

Sadly the AKM plant fire completely destroyed AKM’s FAB line and Japan manufacturing plant. Currently There’s no plant rebuilding going on. https://evertiq.com/design/51427 AKM latest chips are outsourced to generic chip manufactures. AKM’s original FAB line was state of the art and produced the highest measuring 128pin 32bit DAC chip ever, the AK4499EQ. The most other chip competition had were 64pin DAC chips.

I learned a long long time ago to read behind the lines. Just because it’s newer and companies claim it’s better, doesn’t mean it is. Sadly the audiophile industry still has dishonest snake-oil sales teams who’s only intention seems to be to upsell their products.
I did not know that the quality of the chips could be evaluated by the number of pins?
See, you Learn something new everyday. The Greater the die size, the more circuits you can print.

OP
L

Lossless

Simply look at the block diagram and you tell me.‍♂️

Attachments

• ABE0414C-DB85-4602-A9DB-64F69CA4B5F4.jpeg
    ABE0414C-DB85-4602-A9DB-64F69CA4B5F4.jpeg
    267.7 KB · Views: 385
  • 3B9E7DDC-5C19-47DF-A3F8-6D099C21312E.jpeg
    3B9E7DDC-5C19-47DF-A3F8-6D099C21312E.jpeg
    355.5 KB · Views: 387

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
even if you are correct your inflammatory headline completely kills whatever point you are trying to make

immediately people are thinking "who let the kooks out of the insane asylum?"

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
oh you've convinced me

so AKM are out of business now are they?

OP
L

Lossless

oh you've convinced me

so AKM are out of business now are they?
Did I say “AKM is out of business”? NO I did NOT. The old AKM chips we used to know are history.
Would you want your Bugatti made in an GM factory?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
bu
Did I say “AKM is out of business”? NO I did NOT. The old AKM chips we used to know are history.
Would you want your Bugatti made in an GM factory?

but you said they are "DEAD"? isnt that what dead means?

please tell me what you think "DEAD" means? besides your argument

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
bu

but you said they are "DEAD"? isnt that what dead means?

please tell me what you think "DEAD" means? besides your argument
It means they lost half of their pins on their chips. Digital chips. Since digital is one or zero, half or less becomes effectively zero, and therefore zero is dead. Easy peasy.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
er, aren't they made by Volkswagen?

Hey this must be a hell of a stereo DAC, look at all those blocks! 208 pins, even!
that's not what he's trying to say

he's saying AKM is the "Bugatti" of DAC chips. They used to be made in nice factory is France. Now that factory is "DEAD".

Now they are made in a crappy GM Factory... in Flint Rock etc.

I understand odd mental processes when I see it.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
also lots of sub grade school insults going on

MAB

Major Contributor
Did I say “AKM is out of business”? NO I did NOT.
Correct, you said AKM is "DEAD". It is a bit inflammatory, would be good to acknowledge and move on!
Can you tell me what process technology these new chips are fabricated on? I would particularly like to know what the metal stack is, and the packaging, because that matters with respect to pinout.
Also, you are comparing a 4-channel DAC to a stereo DAC so that makes this a pretty apples to oranges comparison for pincount.
And, can you point exactly where the architectural differences that lead to degraded performance are on those block diagrams? I'm not seeing it. The product brief contains very little detail, which is pretty typical of product briefs, and the block diagram rendering is not useful to compare.

Edit: you capitalized DEAD, so I changed my post to accurately reflect...

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
Then stop trying to insult one’s intelligence.

your reactions to my rather benign comments shows what kind of person you are

your need to lash out is really unbecoming but hey, you do you... this is you

you ask people to "look in the mirror" and yet you seem to have no introspection yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom