• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKG K371 Review (closed back headphone)

ngs428

I am looking for slightly deeper pads than stock. Ears touching the drivers after wearing for an hour. I see these pads were recommended as replacements on a few sites. I think these are the ones @oratory1990 tested and provided an eq for. Has anyone tried these? Are they deeper than stock or at least don’t compress over a few hours of listening?

Brainwavz Replacement Earpads for ATH M50X, M50BT, Steelseries Arctis, Pro Wireless & Stealth 600, HyperX Cloud, AKG, SHURE, Philips & Many More Headphones, Memory Foam Ear Pad Cushions, Black Oval
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MFDT894/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_a_W6EB8Y68Y6M5JSCSFJ0A?psc=1

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am looking for slightly deeper pads than stock. Ears touching the drivers after wearing for an hour. I see these pads were recommended as replacements on a few sites. I think these are the ones @oratory1990 tested and provided an eq for. Has anyone tried these? Are they deeper than stock or at least don’t compress over a few hours of listening?

Brainwavz Replacement Earpads for ATH M50X, M50BT, Steelseries Arctis, Pro Wireless & Stealth 600, HyperX Cloud, AKG, SHURE, Philips & Many More Headphones, Memory Foam Ear Pad Cushions, Black Oval
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MFDT894/
those might be too big. K371 pads r much smaller than Btainwavz.

GaryH

Major Contributor
They seem to fit according to this post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/g4dv5f
Just not sure of the depth or the pad not compressing after an hour or so.

And this is how they mess up the frequency response:

Harman 2018-AKG K371-AKG K371 (Brainwavz oval earpads).png

ngs428

And this is how they mess up the frequency response:

View attachment 162646
Thanks! That is what I was looking for. After I wear the stock pads for an hour or so, they do compress down a bit, so that must be changing the freq response too. I will keep trying to use stock and if they get to be too bad I will try swapping. Thanks!

GaryH

Major Contributor
Perhaps, but if more comfortable than stock? (which is of course the only good reason for using after market pads)
Thanks! That is what I was looking for. After I wear the stock pads for an hour or so, they do compress down a bit, so that must be changing the freq response too. I will keep trying to use stock and if they get to be too bad I will try swapping. Thanks!
If you can use EQ then those frequency response changes due to the Brainwavz pads should be able to be (mostly) ameliorated with this profile by Oratory.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There exists a variant of this headphone but with Bluetooth, the K-371BT. Are they similar? The same as the K371 with just a BT adapter ? Has it been measured by the usual , trustworthy people (Oratorio, Crinacle, Amir, etc..? The price is most interesting, presently at $150 on Amazon

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There exists a variant of this headphone but with Bluetooth, the K-371BT. Are they similar? The same as the K371 with just a BT adapter ? Has it been measured by the usual , trustworthy people (Oratorio, Crinacle, Amir, etc..? The price is most interesting, presently at $150 on Amazon
Not to my knowledge.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a pair with the Blutooth option. I do believe they are identical. I don't have the means to measure headphones in any meaningful way. I actually got them on a sale a bit less than $150 a few weeks ago. For some reason they dropped the price for a week and then went back up.

Some report the headphone sounds the same wired, but not when BT is switched on. I've not attempted to discern the difference myself. Some report they use thinner ear pads which you'd think might change the sound. I don't know if they do or not as I've not had the regular version side by side to see.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a pair with the Blutooth option. I do believe they are identical. I don't have the means to measure headphones in any meaningful way. I actually got them on a sale a bit less than $150 a few weeks ago. For some reason they dropped the price for a week and then went back up.

Some report the headphone sounds the same wired, but not when BT is switched on. I've not attempted to discern the difference myself. Some report they use thinner ear pads which you'd think might change the sound. I don't know if they do or not as I've not had the regular version side by side to see.

The mouth of the horse didnt know either

Garlucky

The mouth of the horse didn't know, either.
I don't get it. What didn't the horse know either?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

That is rather ironic. The BT model does have a different shape on one ear cup which I took it is to make room for the BT and battery. That is why they thinned the pads. The cups are wider and they should have made a wider headband. Instead they kept the headband and thinned the pads to compensate about 3 mm each side. (I found this info after my last post in the last few minutes).

Some people recommend a few different pad swapouts. Some claim the tilted Brainwavz pads actually improve the sound over the non_BT model. Another suggestion that looks good to me are some Shure Hpaec1540 pads with super soft memory foam and a perforated alcantara material. So now we are down to headphone pad rolling. We need to get @amirm to get the BT model and measure it with stock pads and these other two. I'm sure he has plenty of time to test all phones at least three times with different pads don't you think? ;)

K371 BT with angled Brainwavz pads.
dmEXvp8.jpeg

The turquoise looks pretty sweet.
proxy-image

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That is rather ironic. The BT model does have a different shape on one ear cup which I took it is to make room for the BT and battery. That is why they thinned the pads. The cups are wider and they should have made a wider headband. Instead they kept the headband and thinned the pads to compensate about 3 mm each side. (I found this info after my last post in the last few minutes).

Some people recommend a few different pad swapouts. Some claim the tilted Brainwavz pads actually improve the sound over the non_BT model. Another suggestion that looks good to me are some Shure Hpaec1540 pads. So now we are down to headphone pad rolling. We need to get @amirm to get the BT model and measure it with stock pads and these other two. I'm sure he has plenty of time to test all phones at least three times with different pads don't you think? ;)
I can see his arms widening, face enraptured at the sight of the Fed Ex man bringing more boxes.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Same here. I think they sound identical to the non-BT version because @amirm's EQ settings do improve its sound. For my aging ears the sound does not change with BT enabled (without EQ in this case).

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Same here. I think they sound identical to the non-BT version because @amirm's EQ settings do improve its sound. For my aging ears the sound does not change with BT enabled (without EQ in this case).
Yes, I also applied Amir's filters and the improvement was pretty noticeable. So if they are different it isn't by much and the overall trends must be the same.

pk500

The K371 BT are muddy and lack detail. Very disappointing when I tried them. I hope the wired version are better, as I'm really interested in them as a kick-around pair of closed backs.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The K371 BT are muddy and lack detail. Very disappointing when I tried them. I hope the wired version are better, as I'm really interested in them as a kick-around pair of closed backs.
I wouldn't count on that.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My K371 has developed a crackling distortion in the right channel, sadly. It’s okay at low levels, but breaks up long before it becomes too loud.

Worth having repaired? I don’t know if it’s still under warranty.

Rick “sigh” Denney

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My K371 has developed a crackling distortion in the right channel, sadly. It’s okay at low levels, but breaks up long before it becomes too loud.

Worth having repaired? I don’t know if it’s still under warranty.

Rick “sigh” Denney
First check whether a hair has managed to get loose off your head and into close contact to the driver membrane. This happened to me often with the Sennheiser headphones of the 70ies (HD 420).

Top Bottom