• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKG K371 Review (closed back headphone)

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I get that, but you and @daftcombo were talking about how they compare relative to Harman's target or to a concept of "neutral", and these individual variations, even on the same sample, makes this a moot point.
And then you may get a sample of the K371 with slightly differently shaped pads than another sample of the K361 and get results, on-head, that won't match how an average of samples would have differed on a GRAS hammerhead (which geometry around the ear has little to do with humans' anatomy BTW).
Basically, the incapacity of that design to deliver a predictable FR at someone's eardrum at lower frequencies means that it's the sort of HPs where you can't know which one of the K371 or K361 will actually deliver something closer to the target's absolute values on your own head.

EDIT : as an illustration of that, here's five individual traces for each the K371 and Airpods Max, for each of the left and right channels, normalised at 500Hz, measured on my own head with blocked ear canal microphones as n°2 in the picture below, during the same measurement session (microphones weren't moved) :
View attachment 154984
View attachment 154986
That's already a pretty big spread between channels even though for this session I tried to keep my head as level and steady as possible and warmed up the pads before proceeding.
And you get an idea how sensitive it can be with the two individual traces that didn't land on the others. It's a good deal worse for the K371 as soon as I lean forward / move about.
Which is why in regards to comparing the K361 and K371, I wouldn't nitpick about a few dB difference here and there as it might not be that meaningful once your own sample is on your own head :D.

Which is why in regards to comparing the K361 and K371, I wouldn't nitpick about a few dB difference here and there as it might not be that meaningful once your own sample is on your own head :D.

Words of wisdom. So many times people obsess over a db here or a db there. It doesn't matter. Once this stuff goes into use by a consumer, it it too small to make a difference.

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Words of wisdom. So many times people obsess over a db here or a db there. It doesn't matter. Once this stuff goes into use by a consumer, it it too small to make a difference.

A single dB is not too small to make a difference, depending on the shape of the filter and type of signal it can be audible :D (where is that paper on the audibility of resonances ?).
But what I mean is that the difference between them as tested so far on various test rigs is at best equal if not lower than the variance between individuals, which makes it a bit difficult to know which one will actually land closest to Harman's target once on someone's in particular's head.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

A single dB is not too small to make a difference, depending on the shape of the filter and type of signal it can be audible :D (where is that paper on the audibility of resonances ?).
But what I mean is that the difference between them as tested so far on various test rigs is at best equal if not lower than the variance between individuals, which makes it a bit difficult to know which one will actually land closest to Harman's target once on someone's in particular's head.
I say **** it lets choose a headphone measuring as close as possible if not EQ'ing, or one with a smooth frequency response that can be easily EQ'd. I'd rather be exact about these things even if there is user variation around the measurements when you wear it on your head.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
I know I keep thinking - as apparently do many others here - as the K371s as Harman.

But there’s that very annoying, and not insubstantial dip around 3.5khz, which is where Amir says a lot of the audiophile loveliness of music lives.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I know I keep thinking - as apparently do many others here - as the K371s as Harman.

But there’s that very annoying, and not insubstantial dip around 3.5khz, which is where Amir says a lot of the audiophile loveliness of music lives.
That's why I bought the NAD HP50 instead when I was researching good value closed back dynamics, it's quite hard to totally EQ up that dip in the K371 as ideally you don't want to be using sharp filters in that area.
EDIT: mind you, I had a go last year at EQ'ing this headphone myself for someone else using Oratory's measurement and was able to get rid of most of that dip without using sharp filters, so it's not too bad:
K371 Oratory My EQ.jpg

Last edited:

Garlucky

Thank you for this helpful feedback. What attracts me to this model is this, almost unison, opinion that they come closest to the desirable curve. That's what I'm after so I'll be getting them one way or the other.

Have you tried any movies (just as a test drive with all the effects)?
I haven't tried them with movies yet but I would speculate that they should sound good with movies.

Bleib

Major Contributor
What was the link to the parametric EQ app? I've downloaded it once and seem not to be able to locate it on my harddrive anymore

blse59

Yes, I found the treble unsatisfying. There is some hollowness there. It just didn't hit that spot that said "oh yes, this is it".

ngs428

I picked up a pair of these and am torn on them. They are comfortable for me, but the sound just seems recessed across all songs and genres. Just a dull sound presentation overall.

I have been using the Meze 99 noir, maybe I am just used to their uncontrolled sound?

I am using the l30/e30. I also have the 6XX, 4xx and x2hr.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I picked up a pair of these and am torn on them. They are comfortable for me, but the sound just seems recessed across all songs and genres. Just a dull sound presentation overall.

I have been using the Meze 99 noir, maybe I am just used to their uncontrolled sound?

You should try the Oratory EQ which EQ's up the large dip in the treble?
EDIT: or my EQ that is based on Oratory's measurement which EQ's up the treble further:

Last edited:

ngs428

EDIT: or my EQ that is based on Oratory's measurement which EQ's up the treble further:
I can give that a shot. I typically don’t EQ, but I am setup to if needed. I bought these thinking I would not need to.. still within the return window anyway. Thanks!

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Maybe this won't apply for your case, but it did improve sound somewhat for me

ngs428

I loaded your settings, Amir's and Oratory settings into MathAudio and am giving them a try. The changes seem subtle at first, I need to give it a further listen.

Attached are the MathAudio presets I created and below are views of the settings...

Robbo99999:
MathAudio Robbo99999.jpg

Amir:
amir.jpg

Oratory1990:
Oratory1990.jpg

Attachments

• AKG K371 - Amir MathAudio Headphone EQ Preset.zip
    375 bytes · Views: 71
  • AKG K371 - Oratory1990 MathAudio Headphone EQ Preset.zip
    571 bytes · Views: 79
  • AKG K371 - Robbo99999 MathAudio Headphone EQ Preset.zip
    628 bytes · Views: 68
Last edited:

ngs428

Maybe this won't apply for your case, but it did improve sound somewhat for me
Quite the read. I did go through some of the basic settings and verified these:

• Set Windows audio to 24 bits so that it's added dither doesn't compromise dynamic range
  • Set Windows sample rate to the same rate as the native file, or to 96 kHz if you play back high resolution material - set it to 24/192k since some of my files are that
  • Turn off Windows system sounds and enhancements - verified, system sounds was already off, turned off enhancements
I do use WASAPI in W10/Foobar. Don't think it will be worth it to do the EAPO stuff at this time, lots of mixed reviews in that thread.

Last edited:

Garlucky

Thank you for this helpful feedback. What attracts me to this model is this, almost unison, opinion that they come closest to the desirable curve. That's what I'm after so I'll be getting them one way or the other.

Have you tried any movies (just as a test drive with all the effects)?
I finally tried them with a couple of movies and the sound effects were good, especially the low sub bass frequencies.
However they're not as wide sounding as my open back headphones.
That's to be expected since the k371 are closed back.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Hi all owners of 371, I found that my 371 is not that good in telling a difference between the files in this thread:

I could hear the difference fine with my more expensive speakers. So I don't think my hearing is the issue. But I am curious if you can easily hear a difference or not.

Please comment in the thread. Thanks!

Last edited:

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Hi all owners of 371, I found that my 371 is not that good in telling a difference between the files in this thread:

I could hear the difference fine with my more expensive speakers. So I don't think my hearing is the issue. But I am curious if you can easily hear a difference or not.

Off topic, those Paradigms are trully an example of performers and lookers all in one.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Off topic, those Paradigms are trully an example of performers and lookers all in one.
Thank you for your compliment! With a good chain (Gustard x16 to Gustard h16 to Parasound A21), I continue to be amazed by its ability to cast big 3D sound field in my living room.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Those K371 should be good for detecting a difference - when I say "good" I mean in terms of them being well controlled - they're quite flat from 250Hz to 1250Hz so, maybe a little heavy on the 250Hz front, but you can apply a Harman EQ, and here you can see the raw frequency response too:
Point is, you don't choose hardware that is optimally able to detect the difference between 250Hz & 1250Hz, because the aim of choosing audio gear is to have "audibly flat" equipment, and that is not the best for being able to notice a difference, because it depends on what the frequency response is at 250Hz & 1250Hz. An "audibly flat" headphone & speaker are gonna be the most accurate/applicable equipment for testing to determin if you yourself are able to detect a difference - note the goal is not to detect a difference, but just whether you can.

Top Bottom