• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

After 6 months has the forum evolved to plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What I want to know is if this power strip expands the soundstage to the walls and then some, what room is left for other devices to keep expanding it? Seems like I read expansion of soundstage in so many reviews.
Good question! Inquiring minds want to know.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Do you guys know how much is that powerslave bar? ...Nine grands → http://www.dagogo.com/hb-cable-design-powerslave-marble-review

"My system simply sounded more fundamentally right with the HB Marble in the system. I’m sitting here as I write, listening to an old mono Chet Baker LP, and I have never heard his horn sound better, nor have I ever heard the piano have such natural decay. Likewise, the standup bass lays a beautiful and strong foundation for the music. It is neither too fast or too romantic. It is also relaxed sounding in that the horn hits certain notes with nice bite to it.

Conclusion
That last paragraph sums up the way my system sounds with the HB Marble in it. As I said earlier, from the very first notes I knew I didn’t want to let this thing go and I’m not. It seems to become more obvious year after year that two areas where you should get the best you can afford are room treatments and clean power. If you don’t take care of these two things you will never really hear your system. By the way when I hear people say they live somewhere that has clean power, I just shake my head. Unless you use all batteries I don’t believe this is very likely, if possible at all.

I know $9,000 for a glorified power bar sounds insane, but I can’t imagine listening to music without it — so it stays. I’m not saying you have to spend this much on powering conditioning, but at the cost of my entire system this doesn’t seem all that out of line to me. I don’t use one of these on my digital/video system upstairs, but I do use some power conditioning. By the way if you haven’t plugged your HD/TV into a good power conditioner you have no idea how good your picture really could be. I’m not saying that you can’t enjoy music without the HB Marble, but you do need some decent power conditioning. If you can afford the HB Marble and your system is at the place that this could be your next big step, then go for it. You won’t be disappointed!"

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I am partially at fault. I bought that coach and have either been travelling on it, or working on it so many of the technical articles/projects that i wanted to do have fallen behind. Good news and bad news is that in a couple of months the sun goes away for 6 months from here as our rainy season starts and I will have more time to work them! :)

For now yes, you all are both readers and writers/authors of this forum. So lack of technical content is something you all can fix.

Same here, life sometimes just gets in the way and I havent had yhe time recently to contribute. Hopefully over yhe next couple of months I will have more time. vibration testing/effect on components and active dsp speaker project are topics planned.

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If I plug my washing machine into it will my simple washing machine magically dry and iron my cloths too??

My dear Thomas, you know the answer is your clothes will come out cleaner!

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Whiter whites? Blacker blacks? All grudge removed??

All now without needing to use washing powder???:eek:

I wan...need me one of these!
The only problem with using this with your washing machine is that your clothes may expand way too much... A waist size 32 pants will quickly become as wide as a 40 ... Not recommended for that application! :p

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The only problem with using this with your washing machine is that your clothes may expand way too much... A waist size 32 pants will quickly become as wide as a 40 ... Not recommended for that application! :p
Result all my nice stuff that am too fat for will fit again.....

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I guess some people want an engineering forum. Surely there are some of those out there? Me, I'm just happy to have a place to go read about and ask questions about audio without wading through a majority of posts by people who thing vinyl is objectively superior and 320 kbps is unlistenable. Reasonable people. People who live in the same reality as the rest of the world. This place is evolving just fine.

Tim

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe that most of the people here have come to the conclusion that the direction taken by High End Audio, that of selling High Price Luxury items with sound editorializing features isn't right. We(there are a few reactionary) have chosen science to guide us to better sound or at least to show us the way to better sound.
This means at times to strive for measurements that correlate with perception and particuylary to fnd simple ways or articles that verify the validity of some perceptions. I came to understand recently how strong the Placebo Effect is. I am citing this article from Science Daily (please click here)
According to recent research the color, shape, taste and even name of a tablet or pill can have an effect on how patients feel about their medication. Choose an appropriate combination and the placebo effect gives the pill a boost, improves outcomes and might even reduce side effects.
. If our perceptions work to make a simple sugar pill to some level of effectiveness on a physiological level, you can imagine how they work against us when auditioning audio component, under the full assault of our biases: Brand, appearance, surroundings, friends opinions, mood, etc.. We are more gullible than we want to believe.
This forum which strive to establish a balance between the perceived and Science and ways to achieve better sound is needed. Most needed. I wouldn't want it to become an Hydrogenaudio type, where any observation seems to be shot down once it doesn't fit a certain "scientific" orthodoxy. I would want it to be lively , to access the debates to understand why we like what we like, how to achieve better sound within a given budget ..and other constraints ... partner/spouse acceptance factor and aesthetics are not to be taken lightly... How to use Science and technology to achieve better sound. On this I may acquire a pair of speakers in the very near future, have not heard them yet but the debate is between Geddes Abbey and Danley Audio Labs Synergy at this point in time.. A YUUUGE departure from a person who until recently was looking at Magico Q3 and other audiophile darlings. It could well be an interim speaker, I must say that JBL M2. the 4367 and some other JBL models, mainly the Synthesis Series (the K2 S9900 and the 1400 array or even an older model such as the M9500) for example are still in the (future?)running as well as the Geddes Summa. I am willing to take the risk of buying sight unseen. A leap of faith .... based on a belief in Science ;) and this forum is the right place for those who believe ;)
We need to find ways to increase membership. We need to attract industry luminaries. I would like to see Earl Geddes, Tom Danley, Duke Lejeune, The Harman people, JJ, etc ( I apologize to those I haven't mentioned) and other researchers in the Science of Audio and of its Art to post here. They should be invited and encouraged to join the discussions. I also believe a gentler tone and more acceptant attitude will help. On my side , I will likely continue to (try to :)) shoot down or ignore the ramblings of some ;) I believe that we need to embark on a campaign to increase membership and strive for diversity, to have more people questioning or defending the current status quo of High End Audio. We will then become a more useful forum.
My 1 Gourde ( Haitian currency) go Here to have the USD equivalent :D

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I'd like to thank the members who have contributed to this thread and of course the forum as a whole....,

I love these cathartic introspective threads.. Do we all feel closer now and more connected?do we now respect our differences and actually enjoy them rather than fight and derail each other with ever decreasing Witt and technical credibility??

I would like another chance at hosting a broad reaching debate like we had with the microrendu, I would be far less partisan and moderate the discussion in a way that promoted opposing views rather than what we ended up with.

That was my fault, I must protect and promote the integrity of debate and not defend any one opinion.

What you all need to be able to do is to agree to disagree! It's the dogged, combative and adversarial nature of forum debating that puts sensible and well informed people off. ( it ruins any intellectual credibility too!) though it has to be said right now we don't have this issue then again we don't really host discussions with a diverse set of opinions.

So I can moderate the discussions differently but it would be a whole lot easier if folks conducted themselves in a way that promoted their view but did not lust for total agreement and certainly refrained from the combative tendencies that seem all to common, particularly in regard to the more contentious issues.

So after a good debate with a member, when you find yourself repeating the same argument and possibly getting a little adversarial ... Agree to disagree .

Disagreement ignites participation to a degree you can't really have debate without it, we probably are leaning a little to much towards the 'everyone thinks the same' side presently.

We are creating content that hopefully will entertain as well as educate, for the benefit of all. The forum by nature though made up of individuals who express their own point of view is a altruistic endeavour.

So to boil it down, if you want a busy forum we need to embrace and encourage a far wider view point... Only then will our discussions become truly relevant as only then will we reach the wide demographic nessersary to facilitate our ambitions as a forum, to be a relevant source of reference in audio for ALL audiophiles.

Cheers and bloody well done if you made it through all that...

It's the end of the thread too.

But fear not H.G will pop up in 6 months for the ' after 12 months are we happy with how the forum is evolving?' We won't see him till then though lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom