• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice on new vs used speakers?

smackmyaudio

I'm new to this whole world. Currently looking at speakers (kef q950 vs JBL HDI 3600 vs BW 603). How well do speakers maintain overtime? any thoughts on buying new vs used from a site like usaudiomart? Pictures seem like they were well taken care of. some are dealer show room but say lightly used, some from private owners but look well maintained. What do I need to look for?

thanks

OP
S

smackmyaudio

Also JBLs don't have Dolby atmos drivers while KEF do. How much does that matter for movies using dolby atmos audio tracks. Can AVR handle that instead (have x3800h denon).

RDoc

I've bought several "open box" or "demo" speakers and as far as I can tell they were all brand new. My suspicion is that some dealers list them as other than new to avoid issues with the manufacturers.

OP
S

smackmyaudio

That's great to hear. What about private use you think? I know that's a very vague question but how much do spears experience wear and tear with typical private use over a period of a couple of years?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
how much do spears experience wear and tear with typical private use over a period of a couple of years?
Not that much if the owner is responsible. You can usually tell by looking and a quick demo if something is wrong. (scuffs? Looks like it's been dropped? dustcap or tweeter dented?)

Dealing locally is better because you can usually demo them before forking over the cash. If the seller won't let you power on and listen for a bit before buying... well, stay away. But if you ask for a demo and they say OK, it's usually almost moot because they know it will be fine.

I have never had a real problem buying secondhand, and have done so quite often. I actually try to avoid buying new whenever possible.

The moving parts of a speaker typically last a long time, 20 years or so. The surround and spider may dry out and lose flexibility after a while. The surround can usually be replaced for not too much $$. Capacitors sometimes go bad in crossovers, which can also be fixed, but maybe not as cheaply. Those also tend to last >20 years, but can start going bad around then.

2 years is really nothing in terms of speaker wear/tear unless they really abused it somehow.

OP
S

smackmyaudio

Also anyone more experienced have any thoughts on those 3 speakers?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think objectively speaking the JBL or KEF are likely to be better than the B&W. For the past 20 years or so, B&W has leaned into a "house sound" more and more, meaning departing from actually neutral high-fidelity sound. A lot of people like it, but a lot of people don't. Also, since the business was sold a while back, my impression is they've focused even less on solid principles like even dispersion.

Top Bottom