• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice for desk audio setup for DJ/ video editing/ gaming

m4rc

Hi everybody, I have been searching the internet for a couple of days now to find a suitable setup for my needs. I am highly unsure if my solution is correct or if I am overseeing a much better or completely different configuration. Hope that this is the right place and you can point me in the right direction.

Context:
- I am a beginner Dj and bought a simple setup for bedroom mixing. This currently consists of a DJ Controller with built-in sound card/DAC (Traktor Kontrol S2 MK3), Adam T5V monitor speakers and a windows laptop
- The speakers can receive balanced (RCA) or unbalanced (XLR) signals, the DJ Controller’s sound card has two unbalanced RCA jacks as outputs
- Right now I connect the controller’s RCA outputs with two RCA to XLR cables to each balanced speaker input. The laptop connects via USB to the controller

Issues with this setup:
- I cannot listen to music coming from my laptop over the speakers as long as I do not plug in the controller as well
- The DAC in my laptop is super bad, so even if I would use some cable configuration to hook up the monitors with the laptop, it would not sound good or pay tribute to the speakers
- I would like to game with this setup as well or at least use headphone amp for decent headphones, which the built-in DAC of my laptop cannot really deliver (this is lowest priority)

In short, what I want is:
- Conveniently switch between laptop and DJ Controller as a source
- Conveniently switch between Monitor speakers and headphones as a listening device
- Conveniently control the volume of all sources from my desk without needing to walk behind my speakers
- Use an external DAC for my laptop

After a lot of research and understanding, I stumbled upon Schiit and their modular devices and thought of the following setup:

Laptop -> Modi DAC -> Sys Passive Preamp Input 1
DJ Controller -> Sys Passive Preamp Input 2

Sys Passive Preamp Output -> Magni Headphone Amp

Magni Headphone Amp -> Headphones
Magni Headphone Amp -> Monitor speakers via preamp output

I think this will work and is within my budget but I am asking myself if all of this cannot be done with only one device rather than three(?). Any suggestions on changes, other devices, different setup completely, etc. would be highly appreciated!

Thanks!

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The RCA jacks are an un-balanced connection, the XLR jack is for a balanced connection.
So you should be using an RCA to RCA cable to connect the Traktor Kontrol S2 MK3 to the Adam T5V active speakers.
I'm assuming your current RCA to XLR cable only uses half of an XLR connection, but it seems to work.
Cheapest upgrade would be to connect a Schiit Magni to the RCA jacks on the Traktor Kontrol S2 MK3
And connect the Magni's line-output (RCA) jacks to the RCA jacks in the T5V

Severian

Forum Donor
I think your best bet is to get a standalone USB audio interface. You would use the balanced outputs on the interface to run the speakers. It would be your DAC/headphone amp for non-DJ listening.

Depending on the features of the interface, you could either:

(a) Route the output of the DJ controller to one of the interface's inputs and use latency-free direct monitoring to relay the output to your monitors, while using the headphone output of the controller for cue; or
(b) Configure Traktor to use the interface as its ASIO output directly.

The catch with (b) is that you need a separate output for Traktor's cue output. With some interfaces, the headphone output may be independent of the monitors so you should be able to assign it to the cue in Traktor. Or, Traktor may let you assign the master out to the interface while still using the controller's headphone output for cue.

In my case, I have a MOTU M4, Pioneer DDJ-1000, and Rekordbox. I have to use option (a) described above because the M4 doesn't have an independent headphone output and Rekordbox won't let me split between the M4 for master out and the controller for cue out. Honestly, this configuration is totally fine, it's just a little trickier to control the overall levels and gain staging.

I can't speak to its quality, but I believe the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 would work with (b) described above. It would also have the advantage of allowing a fully balanced setup because you wouldn't need to use RCA to XLR/TRS cables to connect the controller to the interface, as you would with (a). I'm sure there are other interfaces that would work too, but that's off the top of my head and it's only $250.

OP
m4rc

m4rc

Great, thanks both of you for the help!

@twsecrest
You are right, I am not running on a balanced connection due to the RCA connectors on the controller. However, I learned that with the short cable length I have on my desk, this shouldn’t be much of a problem. Still, totally correct to use the RCA input on the speakers. Your suggestion of only using the Magni would give me the option to listen to one source (DJ controller or laptop, needs to be switched by unplugging cables) via either speakers or headphones, which is almost what I want. What is missing here would be the option to switch between laptop and DJ Controller as sources. Or am I getting something wrong?

@Severian
I completely overlooked the fact that audio interfaces are hooked up to laptops as external sound cards, thanks for making me realize this!! So, if I understand correctly, option (a) would mean to still use the controller’s internal sound card and just route the main outputs through the audio interface to the speakers. Option (b) then means I use the controller only for MIDI control of the Traktor software and handle all audio via the audio interface. I suppose this could introduce latency issues BUT a potentially better sound as the interface‘s internal DAC should be better. Am I getting this right?

If yes, then I figure that the Komplete Audio 2 could be already sufficient because this gives me two XLR inputs (which would be required for option (a)) and it could take over all audio work with cue output for option (b). My laptop would then use this as external sound card as well and this should fulfill all my wishes.

I think I am going to decide between the NI and the Focusrite interfaces and then just try it out. I’ll definitely let you know what worked in the end!

Severian

Forum Donor

@twsecrest
You are right, I am not running on a balanced connection due to the RCA connectors on the controller. However, I learned that with the short cable length I have on my desk, this shouldn’t be much of a problem. Still, totally correct to use the RCA input on the speakers. Your suggestion of only using the Magni would give me the option to listen to one source (DJ controller or laptop, needs to be switched by unplugging cables) via either speakers or headphones, which is almost what I want. What is missing here would be the option to switch between laptop and DJ Controller as sources. Or am I getting something wrong?

@Severian
I completely overlooked the fact that audio interfaces are hooked up to laptops as external sound cards, thanks for making me realize this!! So, if I understand correctly, option (a) would mean to still use the controller’s internal sound card and just route the main outputs through the audio interface to the speakers. Option (b) then means I use the controller only for MIDI control of the Traktor software and handle all audio via the audio interface. I suppose this could introduce latency issues BUT a potentially better sound as the interface‘s internal DAC should be better. Am I getting this right?

If yes, then I figure that the Komplete Audio 2 could be already sufficient because this gives me two XLR inputs (which would be required for option (a)) and it could take over all audio work with cue output for option (b). My laptop would then use this as external sound card as well and this should fulfill all my wishes.

I think I am going to decide between the NI and the Focusrite interfaces and then just try it out. I’ll definitely let you know what worked in the end!

You are correct. However, for (b) you need to make sure that the Komplete Audio 2 allows a separate mix for the headphone output; with many cheap interfaces the headphone output mirrors the monitor output, which means your headphones will be getting the master out rather than cue.

That is, unless, Traktor lets you use the controller's headphone output for cue. This is entirely possible; I'm just not sure. Rekordbox, for example, lets me do this if I send the master to my PC's "system output" but not if I send it to my M4 as an ASIO device. An annoying quirk.

OP
m4rc

m4rc

You are correct. However, for (b) you need to make sure that the Komplete Audio 2 allows a separate mix for the headphone output; with many cheap interfaces the headphone output mirrors the monitor output, which means your headphones will be getting the master out rather than cue.

That is, unless, Traktor lets you use the controller's headphone output for cue. This is entirely possible; I'm just not sure. Rekordbox, for example, lets me do this if I send the master to my PC's "system output" but not if I send it to my M4 as an ASIO device. An annoying quirk.

Ok, got it. Apparently this is not the case for both the Focusrite and the NI interfaces. The workaround would be to set Traktor to use output 3+4 on the AK6 (the AK2 only has one stereo output pair) for monitoring and plug headphones into either 3 or 4.

The other solution would be to create an aggregated audio device (NI Support Article) and - as you said - combine the audio interface and controller soundcards into one virtual device and select the respective outputs in Traktor or Rekordbox. Maybe also a solution for your setup with the M4. Don’t know about latency though when using two sound cards combined.

I looked a bit more into the Focusrite audio interfaces and discovered that their 2i2 version allows for latency-free direct routing of all inputs. This would allow for version (a) which seems to be the best and most convenient solution in the end for my use case, although introducing one unbalanced connection from the controller to the interface. Still, I guess I am going to go with this one as I wanted a better sound card for my laptop combined with a single interface to my speakers for my two sources and a headphone amp.

This helped a lot, thanks again for the very good input!

Severian

Forum Donor
That's a good idea, I should try using ASIO4All to do it. The sound quality of the DDJ-1000 is pretty disappointing for such an expensive piece of kit and I would love to use the M4's DAC for the master output instead.

I was able to do it with Voicemeeter, but the latency was unacceptable because I was looping through a virtual input.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@twsecrest
I would assume you would leave the Traktor Kontrol S2 MK3 connected to the Laptop.
You can run gaming audio (stereo 2.0) out the laptop's USB port, to the USB input on the Traktor Kontrol S2 MK3.
Then run gaming audio out thru the Traktor Kontrol S2 MK3 line-output (RCA), to the Magni, then have the option of using the speakers or headphones.
I believe the Traktor Kontrol S2 MK3 provides about the same functions as a USB Audio Interface.
Maybe the Traktor Kontrol S2 MK3 is considered an Audio Interface?

OP
m4rc

m4rc

@twsecrest
Ah, I see. This makes a lot of sense when leaving the controller connected to the laptop, right. Yes, definitely an option. Unfortunately I don’t have too much space on my desk (have been a little bit too minimalistic with my choice), so I need to unplug the controller when doing something else such as gaming, video editing, etc.

@Severian
Exactly what I was thinking in the first place re: the sound quality of controller DACs. However, I read that the NI DACs are not too shabby. I shall make the comparison when the Focusrite arrives. Went for the 4i4 in the end as it has MIDI ins and outs and a nice channel control software.

CerealKiller

I think your best bet is to get a standalone USB audio interface. You would use the balanced outputs on the interface to run the speakers. It would be your DAC/headphone amp for non-DJ listening.

(a) Route the output of the DJ controller to one of the interface's inputs and use latency-free direct monitoring to relay the output to your monitors, while using the headphone output of the controller for cue; or

The catch with (b) is that you need a separate output for Traktor's cue output. With some interfaces, the headphone output may be independent of the monitors so you should be able to assign it to the cue in Traktor. Or, Traktor may let you assign the master out to the interface while still using the controller's headphone output for cue.

In my case, I have a MOTU M4, Pioneer DDJ-1000, and Rekordbox. I have to use option (a) described above because the M4 doesn't have an independent headphone output and Rekordbox won't let me split between the M4 for master out and the controller for cue out. Honestly, this configuration is totally fine, it's just a little trickier to control the overall levels and gain staging.

I can't speak to its quality, but I believe the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 would work with (b) described above. It would also have the advantage of allowing a fully balanced setup because you wouldn't need to use RCA to XLR/TRS cables to connect the controller to the interface, as you would with (a). I'm sure there are other interfaces that would work too, but that's off the top of my head and it's only $250.

Hi, just a thougth here, I found strange that rekordbox wont let you fully use the M4 outputs for master/cue out, since it is a 4x4 chanel interface it should, at least in theory, be able to route a stereo pair to chanels 1&2 (labled as monitor) and a second stereo pair to channels 3&4 (labled as line), and I'm pretty sure i've seen at least a couple of redit post of people using ddj-400 controler with rekorbox and focusrite scarlet 4i4 in that same config.

It would be necesary thoug to catch the cue signal form line out and send it to a headphone amplifier in order to get level control and proper amplification though, something like a JDS labs atom would be more than suficient.

Best regards

CerealKiller

Hi everybody, I have been searching the internet for a couple of days now to find a suitable setup for my needs. I am highly unsure if my solution is correct or if I am overseeing a much better or completely different configuration. Hope that this is the right place and you can point me in the right direction.

Context:
- I am a beginner Dj and bought a simple setup for bedroom mixing. This currently consists of a DJ Controller with built-in sound card/DAC (Traktor Kontrol S2 MK3), Adam T5V monitor speakers and a windows laptop
- The speakers can receive balanced (RCA) or unbalanced (XLR) signals, the DJ Controller’s sound card has two unbalanced RCA jacks as outputs
- Right now I connect the controller’s RCA outputs with two RCA to XLR cables to each balanced speaker input. The laptop connects via USB to the controller

Issues with this setup:
- I cannot listen to music coming from my laptop over the speakers as long as I do not plug in the controller as well
- The DAC in my laptop is super bad, so even if I would use some cable configuration to hook up the monitors with the laptop, it would not sound good or pay tribute to the speakers
- I would like to game with this setup as well or at least use headphone amp for decent headphones, which the built-in DAC of my laptop cannot really deliver (this is lowest priority)

In short, what I want is:
- Conveniently switch between laptop and DJ Controller as a source
- Conveniently switch between Monitor speakers and headphones as a listening device
- Conveniently control the volume of all sources from my desk without needing to walk behind my speakers
- Use an external DAC for my laptop

After a lot of research and understanding, I stumbled upon Schiit and their modular devices and thought of the following setup:

Laptop -> Modi DAC -> Sys Passive Preamp Input 1
DJ Controller -> Sys Passive Preamp Input 2

Sys Passive Preamp Output -> Magni Headphone Amp

Magni Headphone Amp -> Headphones
Magni Headphone Amp -> Monitor speakers via preamp output

I think this will work and is within my budget but I am asking myself if all of this cannot be done with only one device rather than three(?). Any suggestions on changes, other devices, different setup completely, etc. would be highly appreciated!

Thanks!
Hi, just a thougt, you could do something like this:

Get a USB DAC to solve the poor quality if laptop dac, something like a topping D10s is inexpensive and miles ahead in quality + a headphone amp like JDS labs atom wich also serves as a pre amp and it has 2 inputs to! (only one of those is 3.5mm trs jack).

This config would work like this (JDS atom is the "hub" dont forget it):

DJ controller out to ---> Atom in via RCA to 3.5mm trs cable + external DAC out to ---> Atom in via RCA to RCA cable.
Atom out to ---> Adam T5v in (RCA to RCA)

this way you get a hub to switch inputs from both your dj controller and other media beeing played in your laptop and also a way to control the volume of your powered monitors plus a excelent headphone amp

Keep in mind that you would still ned to plug your headphones to the usb dj controller cue out for mixing, and it might be a little underweling once you try the excelente headphone amplification of a proper amp like the Atom. But still usable.

I have another idea to but is still 2 devices rather than a single one so.... I would leave it for another time if interested.

Cheers!

Severian

Forum Donor
Hi, just a thougth here, I found strange that rekordbox wont let you fully use the M4 outputs for master/cue out, since it is a 4x4 chanel interface it should, at least in theory, be able to route a stereo pair to chanels 1&2 (labled as monitor) and a second stereo pair to channels 3&4 (labled as line), and I'm pretty sure i've seen at least a couple of redit post of people using ddj-400 controler with rekorbox and focusrite scarlet 4i4 in that same config.

It would be necesary thoug to catch the cue signal form line out and send it to a headphone amplifier in order to get level control and proper amplification though, something like a JDS labs atom would be more than suficient.

Best regards

Ha! I do actually have a JDS Labs Atom connected to the 3/4 line outputs of my M4.

I think I've tried what you suggest and couldn't get it to work in Rekordbox. I don't really care since I'd rather use the mixer's knob for headphone volume control. And anyway, does fidelity really matter for the cue channel when you're in the mix?

gustavjung

Can you confirm please that the Motu M4 can run with DDJ and rekordbox using 2 separate channels 1\2 for headphones and 3\4 for speakers?

Top Bottom