• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice for a Player/Streamer for Audio, Video as well as Internet based media (Tidal, Netflix, etc).

navin

Hi,
This is my first post so I do not know if I am posting in the correct forum. I am from the "pre-computer" generation (PCs were invented after I finished college) so I have very limited technology skills.

I have ripped all my CDs (about 2500) to WavPack and my DVDs (about 1000) to MOV. We old people collect a lot along the way.

Now I am looking for a media player that can:

1. Help me navigate through my Audio and Video files (I have stored them in separate folders on a hard disk).
2. Act as a streamer for services like Tidal, Spotify, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.
3. Have a simple GUI interface like my Apple TV box so it can be navigated easily by a tech-averse person like myself.

To help get the best out of the audio files I intend to attach a good "chi-fi" DAC like the SMSL SU9 or Topping D70 (I am open to recommendations for this DAC as well) to this media player/streamer. I assume this would be via a USB or TosLink connection (which one is preferred?). The analog output from the DAC can go to my AVR (or a dedicated stereo amplifier).

For video files, the media player/streamer would be connected via HDMI to my AVR.

The advantage of using a DAC like an SMSL SU9 or Topping D70 is that they also have BT 5.0 and CoaX inputs so I will have the ability to ability to receive a BT 5.0 audio stream so if desired, I can stream BT audio to the DAC. I can also connect my old CD player (the internal DAC is a CS 4398) to the DAC, thereby extending the life of my CD player (using the player as just a transport).

I just want a simple media player/streamer that can connect to the internet and to an external hard disk (6 TB) and offer me a simple interface with icons for:
  1. My Music
  2. Tidal
  3. Spotify
  4. Apple Music
  5. My Movies
  6. NetFlix
  7. Prime Video
  8. HotStar
  9. Apple TV
As well as the option to add any other services that I might register for in the future.

Thank you.

Top Bottom