• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice for 2 channel system in an apartment?

sndraco

Hi

Listening space, living room in a 1 bdrm apt, dimensions are 12' length, 16 or 17' width, and 10' height (not sure on height, its an old place with decent height).

Music: Mix of classical (symphony), Jazz, Rock, etc. Probably 50%+ classical. Will also use system for TV/Movies though priority is music

Current System

Google Logitech Revue Optical Out ---> Fiio D3 DAC ---> Quad 11L actives on stands. Mainly Listen to this

Dell 7280 laptop --> Sennheiser HD 558. I also have some Shure IEM's that left channel audio is a lot lower volume, gonna send to Shure to repair if possible. I don't listen a lot on the laptop at least not critically. (I also have an old Nuforce udac/amp that doesn't show much/any difference to just using the headphone plugged in)

Proposed Changes (open to others too)

- Buy a DAC (SMSL 10 Mk II, Topping D10, Topping D30 or something like this), and run Laptop ---> DAC ---> Quad 11L. DAC choice based on reading on this site.

- Next buy UMIK-1 (that seems to be the fave one), and use REQ to equalize speakers.

- Possibly getting a DAC/AMP like Topping Dx3 Pro that can work with the 558's too (from what I have read not sure the amp is needed/will help in any significant way)

After this thinking of

- Building/buying some LxMini's (have heard them and the 521.4, the 521.4's were great but my space is methinks too small) to replace the Quad 11L.

Laptop --> Music Bee (I have a lot of CD's that I have converted to digital) -->DAC --> Minidsp 2x4 (seems to be the choice for Lx's), if I go with 2x4 HD can replace DAC --> multi channel amp --> Lx Mini's.

As think LxMini's would be better with one or two subs, either get a Rythmik L12 used, or build the +2 subs or Davey subs that the Lx cognoscenti recommend (think Rythmik would be good sound but tougher to integrate, and the dipole woofer on the 521 once it was equalized sounded great). (I know two subs is better, not sure space requirements will easily allow it )

Thoughts/suggestions, or other things I should consider/think about welcome. Learning a lot by perusing this site, and sure will learn from all your suggestions, ideas and comments too.

No specific budget except right now between jobs so nothing like Kii Three or Dutch and Dutch 8 C's :) and would like to save money where possible.

Thanks

Shri

In the past have owned a Vandy 2Ce based 5.1 system (all vandy's with SVS sub), and also a 2 channel Acoustat Medallion 2+2 with Acoustat amp system. (Space then was much larger).

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You wrote a lot about what you want to change but not why. What's the problem with your current setting, and what kind of improvement do you expect from said changes?

Anyway I would start with room eq first. May be enough to fix any current problems.

OP
S

sndraco

Main reason re changing is that I don't find the current system satisfying, ie don't enjoy listening to music as much as on systems from the past (I know comparing over time with different systems is not science at all), or more relevant to what I heard from my friends LxMini system recently.

I will try room eq first.

Thanks much

S

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I had Quad 12L's (passive) ages ago and a speaker change was the biggest upgrade.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had Quad 12L's (passive) ages ago and a speaker change was the biggest upgrade.
Possibly true here as well. Let's wait for room measurements and results of room EQ first, though.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Main reason re changing is that I don't find the current system satisfying, ie don't enjoy listening to music as much as on systems from the past (I know comparing over time with different systems is not science at all), or more relevant to what I heard from my friends LxMini system recently.
Would you say that your dissatisfaction stems from frequency response problems, like too bright or not enough bass? The former can be fixed by room EQ, the latter by room EQ only within the physical limits of the speaker, or by adding a sub (which is a good idea anyway).

OP
S

sndraco

I don't know the source of the dissatisfaction, (definitely lower bass hence why will get a sub), will also get a mic and check out room equalization

Thanks

S

Top Bottom