• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adventures in headphone upgrades

WillBrink

After researching here, reading reviews, asking Qs, etc, I'm in the beginning of an effort to notice obvious improvements in my headphone audio.

Starting point for reference, B&W P5 headphones plugged into Macbook pro via 3.5mm. Decent sound, but best for background/talk/movies, vs critical musical listening. I will say the P5s easy to drive loudness wise, but I don't listen to loud music as much as relaxed levels with best dynamics possible, if that makes sense.

Updates:

I went with a pair of HM Sundara's reading hearing generally good reviews, and was interested in experiencing the Planar tech. For under $500, consistently recommended.

Via the the 3.5mm jack with Macbook pro as source, they sound good, a more open sound stage, more neutral, smooth, but thin-ish base, and as expected, at max volume, get flat. I had a USB-c dongle A2049, and that improved things a bit, not as much as expected.

A Schiit Magni Heresy is ordered and seemed well regarded for the $, hopefully good match for the Sundara's connected via the 3.5mm jack with RCA splitter with Macbook as source and DAC. My understanding is Mac pro laptop DACs meaure within acceptable at least?

EQ: Roon has EQ (1), and I have been playing with that some, adding a little bump in the lower HZ, but that will only work when listening via Roon, and the Schiit likley to improve that aspect too.

Via Roon/Qbuz and a touch of EQ, a sastifying experience, though not "wow, that's amazing" hair on arms standing up good. Also a big improvements listening to my librart of YT vids, but without EQ currently. Have to decide on that one.

But, new to this combo, and suspect amp will make a noticeable improvement.

So far so good, any additional recs/thoughts to consider?

(1) https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en...tric-equalizer#Using_the_Parametric_Equalizer

Last edited:
Top Bottom