• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adjustable Power supply for amplifiers: are they good enough?

i've recently bought an allo+d amplifier which comes without power supply and accepts voltage ranges from 19 to 24V. Allo says that 19V is the most suitable choice, but users over multiple forums assure that using 24V makes the sound way better.
since i needed some DC jack adaptors too i found this: https://www.amazon.it/SUNYDEAL-Cari...8-3&keywords=alimentatore+notebook+universale
this product seems to cover both 19 and 24V voltages plus some values between so i can try different setups. but the current output is tied to the connector, plus i'm dubious about the quality of the power output.

does anybody have some sort of feedback or advices on this kind of psu?
thanks

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The supply is rated at 90W, but based on the size of the unit, I would regard that rating as very optimistic. The 90W is essentially a VxA rating, so the various voltages will of course result in different amperage ratings. I don't believe it is a true 90W continuous SMPS.

Personally, having repaired, performed autopsies on many failed SMPS supplies like these, I would steer clear of them altogether. They are as cheap as they get. The best universal ones to get are the units designed to work on airplane low voltage power as well as 100-240V as they are extremely well designed to adhere to all the requirements such devices have. I think it was kensington who used to produce some fantastic products.

OP
S
That's what i was wondering, thanks for confirming my suspects.

good for me that this weekend there's an electronics expo near my town and i might go take a look, i hope to find some good deals without disturbing amazon or some chinese dealer

Top Bottom