• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adding a wall/door for reflection

Nwickliff

Ok maybe I'm crazy here but my setup sits in the right corner of an open room. I have a wall to the right but nothing to the left. I hear a wrap-around reflection from the right (which I like as it adds almost surrounding feeling) but nothing on the open left. Would it be weird to add a door or some other large moveable reflective surface to the open area at the first reflection point on the left to get that same wrap-around sound on the left side?

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Generally, yes, but it is your room and your preference. I tend to like livelier rooms so that goes against the "rules".

I had heard many great systems before we had any ability to measure or do ARC. We all know that perfectly flat is usually too strident for most people, It is too easy to get caught up in the tech and stop enjoying the sound. Most of my listening is done on Amazon smart speakers and others prefer headphones (not for me). Get it close and the sit back and enjoy!

OP
N

Nwickliff

not for an audiophile

I would use wood, and put it on the right side too, so you have the same reflection
I might just give it a try. I have a spare random door in the garage, just have to figure out how to make it stand on its own and get the mirror out to find that first reflection point.

OP
N

Nwickliff

Generally, yes, but it is your room and your preference. I tend to like livelier rooms so that goes against the "rules".

I had heard many great systems before we had any ability to measure or do ARC. We all know that perfectly flat is usually too strident for most people, It is too easy to get caught up in the tech and stop enjoying the sound. Most of my listening is done on Amazon smart speakers and others prefer headphones (not for me). Get it close and the sit back and enjoy!
Once I heard that phantom center image for the first time a couple of years ago, I haven't been able to enjoy wifi/Bluetooth single speakers.... it's a sad state of affairs.

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The alternative would be to absorb the sound on the right and hear if you like that - no side wall reflections. I prefer that as I find I get more detail from the music although it is solidly only between the speakers.

Top Bottom