• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Add radio tuner

alaios

Hi all,
I had this discussion with a friend this evening and we both have found that we have been clueless.
Todays integrated do not have very often radio tuner, my friend was saying that him and his wife like this idea of listening to radio to their "big speakers".

What is the best way to add a simple and small radio tuner and even better find a remote that can control both amplifier volume and the fm selection.

IS there a way to do that?
Regards
Alex

raceskier

Forum Donor
Most radio stations have a streamed feed of their broadcast signal. A PC or streamer will allow you to access that feed. I happen to use a WiiM Pro streamer, digital out to an external DAC then feeding the analog stereo output to a pre-amp/amp. The WiiM remote has 4 pre sets that I use for different radio streams.

OP
A

alaios

I do have also the wiim (not the pro version) how do I access the radio streams?

raceskier

Forum Donor
I do have also the wiim (not the pro version) how do I access the radio streams?
In the WiiM Home app, go to search, Stations, and type in the call sign of the station you are looking for.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In the WiiM Home app, go to search, Stations, and type in the call sign of the station you are looking for.
Or use one of the services in the "browse" section like Tunein etc

OP
A

alaios

I have found those thanks a lot. I guess the older lady is still looking for some dials to click and turn. I understand that need to be honest, not everything needs to be on an app/phone(in digital domain)

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Most radio stations have a streamed feed of their broadcast signal. A PC or streamer will allow you to access that feed. I happen to use a WiiM Pro streamer, digital out to an external DAC then feeding the analog stereo output to a pre-amp/amp. The WiiM remote has 4 pre sets that I use for different radio streams.
I use a bluetooth receiver module with line-out to feed internet radio audio to my receiver.

However, in my studio I have an old Fisher stereo receiver where the tuner still works, and feed that into the studio audio system for FM listening.

DonR

Major Contributor
A dial and a remote will be a tough find. You may get something at a thrift store. They usually go for $10 or equivalent since nobody wants them. A digital tuner will likely come with a remote and will probably not need an alignment so should just work.

radix

Major Contributor
My partner likes knobs and buttons too. I got an older McIntosh system (tuner + preamp + amp). The Wiim Pro and Pro+ have a line in. you could buy a plain old tuner and hook it to the line in. I think the basic Wiim has an AUX in (3.5mm), which you can get a cheap cable to go to RCA. I use a basic amplified indoor antenna and it's OK for where I live (near Berkeley, CA).

You can go to https://www.fmtunerinfo.com/ to geek out on tuners. Or just buy a yamaha or pioneer or sansui etc. If you get a digital display tuner (likely fm synthesized), you can get a remote plus a dial. There are some modern tuners that have digital out (e.g. coax) plus line out and get HD and have remotes and such. but really, you want the big dial and display and such ;)

In general, Internet streams will be better audio quality, but not dealing with an app is pretty sweet.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The issue with FM and DAB will not be finding a device (you could use the aux out of a kitchen radio- Pure or Roberts style. The issue will be having to have an aerial AND the availability of suitable stations in your location- some countries are paring back FM bands.

Many of the more recent kitchen radio styles did have internet connectivity though so could do FM/DAB and internet streams- all of which could be knob controlled.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
There are still home tuners available, but a quick check on Crutchfield reveals that the cheapest way to add a tuner would be to just buy a cheap stereo receiver. That gives you knobs and a remote for about $200 or less.

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Keep in mind there are high-def FM stations now. Might be good to add that to your feature list.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree with the post already that streaming stations would be simplest. The next easiest would be adding a Bluetooth transmitter to the output of an existing radio. A desktop radio with outputs could hook up as an input.
VLC player has support and is easy to use for stations. The best maybe is a stereo clock radio, so she could place it anywhere, like away from interference for best reception.

Top Bottom