• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ADC without USB

Laszlo

Hello!

I’m Laszlo, from Spain.

I had spent a week searching for an ADC. I need to transform the analog output of my mixer (XLR) to optical, to record it in an Apollo X Quad, without using the analog inputs.

All I had found is the typical 20$ rca to spdif converter, and I would like to have something better. Motu interfaces are nice, but I don’t need 8 mic pres. Same Focusrite or Presonus (used, 80-120 euros). The perfect thing would be something like this:

https://www.roland.com/global/products/fa-66/

But no one knows (even Roland itself) if it works not being connected to a FireWire host.

Do you please know something like this? I only need optical output and 24 bits / 96 khz minimum. I want to spend around 100 euros. Does it exists?

Thank you!

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I need to transform the analog output of my mixer (XLR)
Your Apollo already has an ADC and XLR inputs. Why not use those?

dfuller

Major Contributor
May not be enough inputs. Also the XLRs are mic preamp level, you have to use the 1/4" TRS for line level (not that that's a particularly big deal as XLR to 1/4" TRS are common and cheap).

Anyway, there are standalone line level only D/A, but they're not cheap. If you only need a couple of channels, an RME ADI-2 (or ADI-2 FS) would work nicely. If you need more, a Focusrite Clarett Octopre might be the solution.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Something like the Berhinger ADA8200 are the least expensive I know about. It has 8 mic pres or line level which you say you don't need.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ADA8200--behringer-ada8200-microphone-preamp

If you can find a USB interface with ADAT out it will work on most of those. Usually you connect it to a computer once, set the routing the way you want, in your case everything goes to the ADAT, and then dicconnect. It will keep that routing and can otherwise be used as a stand alone unit without connecting a PC. Problem is most of the least expensive units don't have ADAT output. You end up just as cheaply buying the ADA8200 or the Scarlett Octopre. With the ADA8200 I think you are limited to 48 khz sample rates, while the Octopre allows up to 192 khz.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
OP
L

Laszlo

Because I want to use it for my microphones. I use the mixer (Rcf M18) as a kind of superb patchbay for my fx units, and I would like to return to Apollo from the optical input.

May not be enough inputs. Also the XLRs are mic preamp level, you have to use the 1/4" TRS for line level (not that that's a particularly big deal as XLR to 1/4" TRS are common and cheap).

Anyway, there are standalone line level only D/A, but they're not cheap. If you only need a couple of channels, an RME ADI-2 (or ADI-2 FS) would work nicely. If you need more, a Focusrite Clarett Octopre might be the solution.

I LOVE the ADI-2, it would be perfect, but I can’t afford it right now :(

Something like the Berhinger ADA8200 are the least expensive I know about. It has 8 mic pres or line level which you say you don't need.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ADA8200--behringer-ada8200-microphone-preamp

If you can find a USB interface with ADAT out it will work on most of those. Usually you connect it to a computer once, set the routing the way you want, in your case everything goes to the ADAT, and then dicconnect. It will keep that routing and can otherwise be used as a stand alone unit without connecting a PC. Problem is most of the least expensive units don't have ADAT output. You end up just as cheaply buying the ADA8200 or the Scarlett Octopre. With the ADA8200 I think you are limited to 48 khz sample rates, while the Octopre allows up to 192 khz.

The interface solution is what I had been looking for mostly. An used FireWire interface is cheap, but you’re right, I don’t need eight pres. I’ve seen everywhere the ADA8200, but I prefer, for example, a 828 mkii, in case buying a full one rack unit.

In the Apollo they can switch from mic pre to line level.

You’re right!!

Find a Behringer SRC2496. I found an open box unit for $75.

Interesting, but as I said before, I would prefer an interface if I had to buy a rack unit!

Thank you very much for the answers! I will keep on searching!

Top Bottom