• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ADC + good headphone out advice

brutalibus

Hi! I need your help to choose a good ADC to play with my guitar on amp simulators (and maybe playing along with backing tracks, so low latency) and have a good quality sound on my headphones.
My current setup is topping E30 + magni 30 with an headphone switch, my headphones are DT 1990, DT 1770 , DT770, TYGR 300R , AKG 712 pro, Argon mk3.
I have already tried motu m2 , decent headphone output (not so happy) , but I returned it because I had some artifact problem at different samples (maybe faulty unit).
Now I have an UMC204HD , bad headphone output but decent with rca output on magni 3.
So...what are your advices? new ADC? something better than UMC204HD+magni3?
Thanks in advance.

stemfencer

You really won't find much better than motu at that price range, so I think you need to fork out more coin for a step change.

Motu mk5
If you want low latency, RME Babyface Pro FS is the best

If you are not that happy with headphone output of M2, would run outputs into the Magni3. However I've not sure what your issue with UMC204HD+magni3 is?

OP
B

brutalibus

Thanks stemfencer,Motu mk and RME are nice products but they are in other range of quality and price. My setup Is not so bad , I aked if u know a better setup than mine, for my needs, in this (budget) price range.
Now I could buy and RCA switch, do you know a good RCA switch under 50€? Thanks

stemfencer

You won't get significantly better unless you take a step change to the RME price range of stuff. Converters are probably the least important things in your chain, so if you want to spend money I would put it towards headphones, speakers, guitars, plugins etc.

Not sure what you want RCA switch for? Just connect your Magni inputs into the output of the interface and are sorted. Won't get much better headphone performance than this without spending a tonne of money, and have a set-up worthy of making great music. I can recommend the Motu M4, especially as it has the mixer knob on the front for direct playback which the m2 doesn't. However you mentioned had driver issues with it so rules it out.

If you are worried about latency, not a whole can do as that is the tradeoff of using this style technology. If really concerned about latency with guitar playing, maybe look at Two Notes Torpedo Captor X or similar. However this is a completely solution/workflow.

Good luck!

OP
B

brutalibus

I need RCA switch because my setup for listening is Topping E30 + magni 3 and for guitar play is umc204hd + magni 3.

Top Bottom