• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Active speakers with Topping E/L 30, or 2.1 amp with passive speakers?

darksable

Hello!

I currently have a Topping E30 DAC, with an L30 amp. I'm quite happy with them. What I'm not happy with are my 20-year old, $20, 2.1 channel computer speakers.

When I listen to music, I use my headphones. However, it would be nice to be able to have decent audio at moderate volumes for when I'm doing chores. (But I don't want to break the bank for that.)

I just ordered the Neumi BS5P's for $160, and they'll show up in a month or so. My plan was to use the RCA output from my L30 as a preamp going to the speakers.

I'm now questioning my decision. Would a better option be to use a seperate 2.1 amp, either with some old KEF CODA IIIs or new, budget passive speakers and a 10" sub?

How much of a difference does DSP make at this price range? Is it better to have that than a subwoofer?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Top Bottom