• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Active Elac Navis vs Passive for Mixed Usage

panther

I am trying to make a final decision on using either active speaker or passive for a nearfield/ Fairfield setup. I’m driving my partner nuts with being indecisive and it needs to end. I got moved downstairs with kids getting older to a 12x36’ room on 5’ desk about 10” from back wall. Anyways I have ELac Carina passives that I find ok for nearfield use on my desk and ok at low volume which is important, they are pretty good when I am listening further away working out or just having music on in the background which I find myself doing more and more. I hate my amp with them though sound wise (Yamaha wxa50) I was going to get a lyngdorf 1120 with room correction hoping that would be an upgrade with the benefits of room correctionand I do like being able to control the volume remotely from an app. My only real negative on the lyngdorf is the size of the amp on my desk (I considered a nad m10 instead). My alternative is to go ELac Navis and not worry about amplification just my connection to my main source (pc with iTunes) I would like to maybe stream Spotify or get into Roon but I don’t know if I will. I listened to Yamaha and Adam active monitors before but didn’t like the sound. Anyways any guidance would be great. I do use a Dynamo 800x sub but may just sell as I feel the bass is enough already. Tried to post a picture but it says the file is large right then allowed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom