• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Accuphase E-480

rickler

Finally got this beautiful thing. Although, for the life of me I cannot figure out how to select the "MAIN-IN" input. Any Accuphase folks out there care to lend a hand? I'm still doing some listening, and have the DAC-50 and AD-50 add-on boards. I'll be updating with some impressions mid next week after some thorough listening, and comparison. Speakers are Magico S5 MkII, using Roon for streaming (with Raspberry Pi) and a Technics SL-1210GAE w/ ZYX Ultimate 4D cartridge.

IMG_7604.jpg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Finally got this beautiful thing. Although, for the life of me I cannot figure out how to select the "MAIN-IN" input. Any Accuphase folks out there care to lend a hand?

Absolutely lovely amplifier. :)

Plug your sources into either the main in RCA or main in XLR.

1614981991033.png

Open the door and select the appropriate main in input to correspond. In normal mode, it is looped, balanced or line disconnects the preamplifier stage. The main in of course has no volume control- be careful.

1614981808638.png

OP
R

rickler

This is for a receiver input. I have selected it as a "LINE" but not sure which input it is on the remote? I'd expect to hold one of the inputs down or something like that?

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Your Main In should be set to Normal and the receiver should be plugged into the Line 1 input (if it is RCA). If you have that small dial on the front of the E-480 set to Line, you are turning it into a power amp and it will only amplify the signal coming in on the Main In input. It does not matter what input you choose at that stage as it is no longer working as an integrated amp.

Slayer

This is for a receiver input. I have selected it as a "LINE" but not sure which input it is on the remote? I'd expect to hold one of the inputs down or something like that?
GDK is correct in his answers.
Also congrats, that's a very nice piece of gear you have acquired.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Line 1,2 and 3 are RCA (unbal). Balanced is "Bal" They are all on the remote.

Main in is just that, either RCA or Balanced with the respective input selected on the switch under the panel.

OP
R

rickler

Ahh, I see. So no way to set it to "main" like on the Luxman 509x. On the Luxman there was a way to hold down one of the inputs, and it would go to the main (read: no preamp) input. This is for a family room setup, so TV watching will now require some 1970s-style getting up to set the right input on the Accuphase. ;) Thank you!

One other thing that's been bewildering is that there doesn't seem to be a way to get my RoPIEEE to stream "native DSD" to the DAC-50 add-on board. I would have expected I could "force" it, but I don't see that option. The DAC-50 supports 11.2MHz DSD as far as I can see.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
what is "Main in" for? Pre-out uses the Accuphase pre-amp to drive an external amp, but I don't understand Main in...

GDK

Forum Donor
what is "Main in" for? Pre-out uses the Accuphase pre-amp to drive an external amp, but I don't understand Main in...
You can use the E-480 as a power amp by connecting a preamp to the Main In input. I connect my RME ADI-2 to that input as I use it as a preamp so that I can put a sub crossover in place between them.

OP
R

rickler

Thank you all! I've looked everywhere, but does anyone have the manual for the E-480 in PDF?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
why not contact Accuphase for a manual?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
why not contact Accuphase for a manual?
If expensed for the service literature that would be acceptable considering a non-service depot is receiving docs that are sometimes protected via a assigned territory. Service bulletins do occur and they oftentimes are a req'd part of proper ownership. So ask about service bulletins for your serial number or date of manufacture etc etc. It's a current model and most likely is a fresh serial number and not a old number that was sitting about in inventory for months. :D Nice layout.>>>
e-480_top_1600x.jpg

Top Bottom