• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Abyss Diana V2 Review (headphone)

LearningToSmile

DMS_Diana_Phi_V2.jpg

Note: the vertical dB scales. The grey lines show different seatings positions and seem to indicate L and R measurement differences in the lows may well be a seating/seal issue. Seal also seems to be important for damping this headphone (also in the 5kHz range)
That's Diana Phi, right? The even more expensive model. I've seen the measurements before and the bass roll-off looks more reasonable even in the most severe scenario(at least in the 30-50Hz range). I'm almost wondering if Diana V2 was designed with the sharply rolled off bass on purpose to make the more expensive model more appealing.

xup

That's Diana Phi, right? The even more expensive model. I've seen the measurements before and the bass roll-off looks more reasonable even in the most severe scenario(at least in the 30-50Hz range). I'm almost wondering if Diana V2 was designed with the sharply rolled off bass on purpose to make the more expensive model more appealing.
V2 came out before Phi.

xup

If one pays 3k for a headphone you cant nothing but endorse it and talk marvelous about it.
I mean, you can sell it... A lot of people buy and sell headphones often, trying out a lot of different things.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I mean, you can sell it... A lot of people buy and sell headphones often, trying out a lot of different things.
A $3000 price tag takes expectation bias to stratospheric levels. Manufacturers of overpriced products are counting on this.

Last edited:

xykreinov

Forum Donor
So which headphone has committed the bigger sin, the Abyss that won't take EQ well and will always sound deficient in some way, or the Audeze LCD-X that has an unfortunate target curve out if the box but sounded great after EQ ?
Definitely the Abyss. At least the LCD-X helps further enforce the fact that proper parametric EQ can only improve the headphone experience.
The Abyss just helps further enforce that high end audio can be governed by placebo and visual-bias-molded hearing more than actually intricate engineering.

Nango

Major Contributor
How much do you think will you lose in such a deal? My guess is up to 50% even If you find a dealer where you purchase a new one.

xup

A $3000 price tag takes expectation bias to stratospheric levels. Manufacturers of overpriced products are counting on this.
Sure. And once purchased, there is confirmation bias. 100%. That said, I bought things and then thought they sucked. Many here have. And that's totally fine :)

Personally, I heard them at an audio thing with a lot of gear. There was a headphone room, and I listened to a bunch of headphones. Stax 009/s (both), 007mk2, Focal Utopia, Abyss both the Diana Phi and the 1266 Phi TC, Ether 2 and a few others. Wasn't planning on liking any, didn't even know what these cost. I liked how they sounded. Didn't like the 1266 at all (comfort was terrible, as well as the form factor and they were bright).
You can find my posts at headfi, where I said I don't think they are worth their price. But I enjoy them, so decided to indulge myself. I'm not going to run and sell them, don't worry. Maybe one day, but not today.

Anyway I always thought one should have an accurate chain (dac and amp), then choose whatever they like as the transducer. Which is what I did.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Thanks, Amir! First an $89 disaster with the MDR-7506. Now a 'piggy bank' $3000 one. Great bracketingl

I for one eagerly await $200 to $600 or so ones..May I suggest a focus on these continuously for a bit, if Amir agrees? Another DAC 'could' be deferred for a bit..:)

xup

How much do you think will you lose in such a deal? My guess is up to 50% even If you find a dealer where you purchase a new one.
Buying new probably 25-30%. Or buy used, and then less, maybe nothing. Bought these new, but everything else before it used and sold for about the same usually.

I think we should mention when talking about the ridiculousprice (and it is just that, ridiculous), that these are made is the US, and according to Abyss everything including the case is. At least compared to Hifiman (I believe Audeze is the same). I'm not American, but fair wages and all.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Thanks, Amir! First an $89 disaster with the MDR-7506. Now a 'piggy bank' $3000 one. Great bracketingl

I for one eagerly await $200 to $600 or so ones..May I suggest a focus on these continuously for a bit, if Amir agrees? Another DAC 'could' be deferred for a bit..:)
Agreed. I'd like to see more reviews of headphones in the "sweet spot" price range, just below the point where diminishing returns kick in big time. Of course each person will place this point at different levels based upon budget and taste, but I think focusing between $250-$750 might be a good range initially.

Last edited:

SmackDaddies

Agreed. I'd like to see more reviews of headphones in the "sweet spot" price range, just below the point where diminishing returns kick in big time. Of course each person will place this point at different levels based upon budget and taste, but I think focusing between $250-$750 might be a good range initially.
I vote for Amir to review whatever the hell he feels like

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you can’t stand listening to them even after EQ then they deserve Broken Panther.

One very slight possible caveat: could there be ambient sound leaking in through to open backs that didn’t get filtered out as noise?

MWeston

Now hear me out fellas.... :)

Some of these high end headphones use crazy strong magnets. I have the 1266 TC and my amp has a steel chassis. I have a foam layer on top of the amp and when I pulled these out of the box and set them on the amp, I had to pull pretty hard to get them off the amp! None of my other headphones have that kind of pull.

I am wondering if the magnetic force can mess with the microphones in the measurement rig. I'm not sure how you can even get around that to increase the magnet spacing while still maintaining FR. Zeos (sorry for invoking that name, ha ha!) complains about how some planars mess up his sound demos because of the strong magnets. Perhaps it is a thing that is happening here?

Top Bottom