• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Raspberry Pi as a music server

Remember... friends don't let friends use the RPi audio jack...
I've used the audio jack and measured it.
There's nothing at all wrong with it in THD / IMD or any other measure.
I use it with DSP, and it's not bad at all.

A purpose made DAC-HAT is better but most people will never see any difference on mpeg vid and audio

benanders

yes missing the fact I quite frequently upload files to the file server which is also a router.

Despite the obvious ethernet overhead, it's clearly silly to equate low speed with compat with large files.
Quite commonly I upload a whole DVD to a CM4 so that it can be played back.

Ah I see - this thread is about RPi as a music server: your case is INclusive of that feature whereas mine and that of most others is EXclusive to that feature. Router duties, multi-media… but still no indication that greater efficiency (or ability) in the transfer of large files quickly will improve the sound of music. ;)

If you start sending 10 20 - 50Gb in files at a shot onto a server, you will welcome the extra write speed on NVRAM / SSD or e-MMC compared with those crappy SD cards - originally designed for digital cameras and USB readers.

No way would I go back to RPi3b or 4 after having had my hunches confirmed with a 4Gb mem CM4 compared with the 2GB version.

Nuff said??

I think many (most?) folks will opt to use SSD or RAM options for moving/holding their music files via a Pi (vs. the SD card) - anymore the SD seems best reserved for the OS, no? And now that RPi can be had with 4 GB RAM (or even 2x that if you can put 8Gb to use; my understanding is many Pi-compatible audio programs still do not), I see no issue with a Pi as a music server (exclusive denotation of the phrase).

Disclaimer: I’ve never attempted use of a Pi as a multi-media server or a router, nor have I run music through the audio jack.

Jack Harrison

CM4 is not a cut down anything.
It removes many of the Rpi3-4 bottle necks with PCI-e & e-MMC v SD. (e-MMC already 4x faster than SD).

BTW - As a result it handles audio much better and I am told *on "circle" NO FIFOS.
So you were referring to the CM4 development board produced by the RPi foundation which has the guts of an RPi4 which you would never use again because it’s so weak and wobbly.
You didn’t answer any of my other questions:
Why would any one want a DAC that gives the kind of sound you would expect from a NEVE console?
Do you know that very many usb DACs have xlr outputs (one of mine does, ain’t nothing fancy just performs perfectly).
Are you aware that Amir has tested a huge number of usb DACs that are measurably transparent to the human ear?
What do you mean by studio quality?
Do you think that a usb DAC with a way beyond the limits of human hearing measurable performance is not as good as a professional DAC which uses the same chip and has an similar if not exactly the same measurable performance?
Do you realise the subject of this thread is using an RPi as a music streamer?

So you were referring to the CM4 development board produced by the RPi foundation which has the guts of an RPi4 which you would never use again because it’s so weak and wobbly.
You didn’t answer any of my other questions:

You clearly haven't used the CM4. If you understood the differences inc the fact I don't use the Dev board for anything serious (precisely because of its size and limitations!), then you might not assume anything.
(I use a much better swiss board, which is going to come out in a new V2 version this autumn)

Why do I have to answer your "other questions" at all?
You have some sort of coercion system in place?

Jack Harrison

You clearly haven't used the CM4. If you understood the differences inc the fact I don't use the Dev board for anything serious (precisely because of its size and limitations!), then you might not assume anything.
(I use a much better swiss board, which is going to come out in a new V2 version this autumn)

Why do I have to answer your "other questions" at all?
You have some sort of coercion system in place?
No of course you don’t have to answer my questions. But they were intended to find out why you were so dismissive of the Rpi at the expense of what on the face of it is a less capable and more expensive option with in practise zero benefits - and on a thread where people are talking about how excellent in their actual experience the Rpi is as a music server. Excellence in use which matches actual spec and measurements.
And, sorry, I thought an Internet ‘forum’ was exactly the place where fellow enthusiasts asked and answered each others questions. Especially on ASR where there’s a clear preference for measured data vs the more expensive and exclusive it is the more hifi It must be alternative.
And I was genuinely interested in what you’re actually using which is so much better than an RPi but tbh I’m not any more.

Last edited:

Jack Harrison

I apologise for the sarcasm which I’ve now edited out of my post and apologies to every one else for stirring this up. It wasn’t my intention.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Let’s all take a time out shall we. I deleted a post or two to let out some steam from this nice conversation. When you return from your break. Engage with civility and respect. Exactly how we all wish to be treated and it starts with me and you. Just by luck Jack got the last word. ;)

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

OK, the CM4 is a much better solution because it exposes the PCI-e bus - and can do this in M.2 form.
It also doesn't use the RPI3b/4 achilles heel - SD card main system memory.
If you don't need sim card, and want to use M.2 you boot on NVME (SSD) and it gives you easily 400mb/s speeds compared with e-MMC already about 4x faster than SD.
If you go into swop it's easy to see the diff between the sluggish 3B and somewhat faster rpi4, but they are still held back by the PSU delivering 5V via and not so great VR.

With the CM4 and the barrel connector, you get it running anything from 9-28V and no limitations on current.
As a result I would never go back to Rpi4, despite the very real challenges of keeping the CPU temp within sensible limits in such a combined space.
Placing my CM4 inside a even HOTTER compact 3U amplifier case - surrounded by valves at up to 220C and the recent 30C+ hot summer is a challenge of the highest order.
I'm still struggling with this aspect with the DAC-HAT on top of the swiss IOT board from Lausanne.

Top Bottom