• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Listening Challenge

BenB

Challenge:

Listen to the linked mp3 from the beginning (no skipping around, and no visualizers) and post how long it took you to pick up on what was changing. Warning: it's full scale (loud) so start softly. Please put any discussion about the actual change in spoiler tags. I can't participate because I generated the file, and I can't pretend like I don't know.

https://app.box.com/s/s3oa6jtee5cc5ytyis4otuq0pcqerqu9

Don't view spoiler until after taking the challenge.
Explanation:
The spectral balance is shifting darker very gradually.

Geert

Major Contributor
3:10 on first attempt: high frequencies are gradually being attenuated.

OP
BenB

BenB

sounds like it's getting more bassy? or less treble? or combo of both? Haven't looked at spoiler yet.

Thanks for humoring me.

Do you know how long it took you to notice the change?

OP
BenB

BenB

I would love to talk about how drastic the change was before it was noticed, but before I do, it would be great to get some more participation. It only takes a few minutes max.

6sigma

Forum Donor
Sounds to me as if a microphone is moving from the tweeter regions to the bass regions of a loudspeaker over a 4+ minute time interval.

Last edited:
OP
BenB

BenB

Sounds to me as if a microphone is moving from the tweeter regions to the bass regions of a loudspeaker over a 4+ minute time interval.
It's going to become important to have estimates of when people noticed the change, in order to assess tolerance. Any idea when you picked up on what was changing?

6sigma

Forum Donor
With flawed memory, I'll say my thoughts about what was happening began forming about a third of the way into the test.

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No change except accommodation.

Cannot hear above 8K

Nichdroid

Don't know if it's some sort of placebo effect, but I noticed immediately, after 2 to 5 seconds that something was going on. After 10 to 15 seconds I realized highest frequencies were gone

Last edited:

Peterinvan

I use the free Windows app sinegen.exe for a frequency sweep.
There are also good free hearing test sites on the Web.

No. 5

It seemed like something was changing at around -4:30 for me.

EEE272

Don't know if it's some sort of placebo effect, but I noticed immediately, after 2 to 5 seconds that something was going on. After 10 to 15 seconds I realized highest frequencies were gone
Same for me.

Top Bottom