• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A good and cheap solution for a remote controlled volume.

gino1961

Hi ! i am looking for a device that lets me control the volume of amps without this feature (unbalanced inputs).
I do not need any gain at all ... i was watching this one :rolleyes:
https://it.aliexpress.com/item/4000100009226.html
I really need a remote control volume control badly. :facepalm:
Thank you all for any suggestion.
Kind regards, gino :)

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi ! i am looking for a device that lets me control the volume of amps without this feature (unbalanced inputs).

So what this does, if I understand it correctly, is that the remote is bluetooh-controlled - and allows switching between the input sources and controls the gain of the output as a preamp?

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you mean power amp inputs, the topping e30 in preamp mode is what I use

OP
G

gino1961

Are you looking for a DAC or just a pre-amp?
Hi let me elaborate please ... i have some integrateds/power amps to try out ... no one has a remote control of the volume. And i really need it.
Maybe even a motorized pot of the right value could work
My amps have from 5kohm up of input impedance I know it is very low.

OP
G

gino1961

So what this does, if I understand it correctly, is that the remote is bluetooh-controlled - and allows switching between the input sources and controls the gain of the output as a preamp?

Hi from what i understand it is controlled by remote The volume setting is done by switching some resistors combination ?
I really do not know anything about how transparent (i.e. low distortion, low noise) it is
It should drive a 5kohm load

OP
G

gino1961

If you mean power amp inputs, the topping e30 in preamp mode is what I use
Hi very interesting And with which results ? do you get a good 3D soundstage for instance ? the price is quite right and also the form factor is very nice
Do you have a loss of rez at lower levels ?
To be completely honest i would like to use a L30 i have after the volume control with its volume fully open
The L30 is very fine as unbalanced preamp ... but it is not controllable from remote :(

Plcamp

Hi very interesting And with which results ? do you get soundstage for instance ? the price is quite right and also the form factor is very nice
To be completely honest i would like to use the L30 after the volume control with its volume fully open
The L30 is very fine as preamp ... but it is not controllable from remote :(

I currently use it into an Adcom 535II I just renewed, but it is destined to drive a Hafler DH220C (new driver boards with fet front end) that I am currently constructing. The speakers are Paradigm Studio100v5.

It’s completely clean. No detectable noise. I don’t detect any quality difference at any level, not entirely sure why you think I might?

If I am critically listening, my volume will almost always be in the range -35db to -20db ... I wouldn’t care and haven’t tried to judge things like soundstage outside that range, given the room and environment this system resides.

Maybe you need something different.

Last edited:
OP
G

gino1961

I currently use it into an Adcom 535II I just renewed, but it is destined to drive a Hafler DH220C (new driver boards with fet front end) that I am currently constructing. The speakers are Paradigm Studio100v5.
It’s completely clean. No detectable noise. I don’t detect any quality difference at any level, not entirely sure why you think I might?

Thanks again. If the volume is digital usually the rez is lower at lower settings ? but i am not an expert
With an analog control is not the case The rez is always constant
I have already this one
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...measurements-of-weiliang-volume-control.8348/
bought quite long before the test ... of course :(
The unit sounds flat ... i am puzzled

... If I am critically listening, my volume will almost always be in the range -35db to -20db ... I wouldn’t care and haven’t tried to judge things like soundstage outside that range, given the room and environment this system resides....
So in that range it sounds very fine ? thanks and very interesting
I really do not think that there is a real alternative for similar cash .... good remote controlled preamp are very very expensive
I do not understand why preamps must be more expensive than power amps. Strange.

Last edited:

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Hi very interesting And with which results ? do you get a good 3D soundstage for instance ? the price is quite right and also the form factor is very nice
To be completely honest i would like to use a L30 i have after the volume control with its volume fully open
The L30 is very fine as unbalanced preamp ... but it is not controllable from remote :(

the E30 is a perfectly neutral dac. It won't do anything to damage or improve soundstage. It won't do anything to damage or improve resolution. It's a great option as both a dac or a pre-amp really, as the remote is a nice feature.

Plcamp

“The unit sounds flat ... i am puzzledl”

Hmm, I had that feeling with the 535II amp I fixed up. I opened it up, cleaned it thoroughly with alcohol and flux remover at spots.

Then I took out the front end differential pair bjt’s and found their gains were moderately mismatched. I pulled the remaining like transistors from the current mirrors and measured all gains. Lucky for me across both channels I was able to find three well matched pairs...I put the highest gain pairs into the diffamp position.

performs great now.

So I opened my second 535II. Someone had opened the feedback loop and inserted an electrolytic/poly cap pair in series. So I checked the diff pair gains...way way out. Fixed that, reconnected it directly and dumped the caps, and it too is great.

I deal with vintage , as you can see.

OP
G

gino1961

the E30 is a perfectly neutral dac. It won't do anything to damage or improve soundstage. It won't do anything to damage or improve resolution. It's a great option as both a dac or a pre-amp really, as the remote is a nice feature.
Hi thanks a lot Another vote for the E30 then ... good ! Not that i have a very high end system. I will get one then
Even if i am fine with my current dacs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom