• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

600 Ohm To 150 Mw

Ulluliaasit

Hello People :)

I was thinking to buy Presonus HP60 150 Mw per channel for my DT-880 600 Ohm Edition, What do you guys recommend higher or lower Megawatts?

I'm new to Audio engineering and to this website

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Welcome! The manual says, that 150 mW Max are provided at 60 Ohm. So it should be much lesser at 600 Ohm: you would have to listen to it with your cans to make sure, it has sufficient power for your purposes.

I wouldn't be concerned if it was "Megawatt" but it is only "Milliwatt" in real life ;).

dfuller

Major Contributor
1, that's "milliwatts", not "megawatts" - rather confusing because just the difference between cases goes from millions of watts to thousandths of a watt.
2, I would not recommend the HP60 unless you need 4 sets of headphone outputs simultaneously. You'd be better off with something like a Schiit Heresy or similar as it's more powerful and likely much cleaner.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
The manual says, that 150 mW Max are provided at 60 Ohm.
I didn't find that exact spec.. I saw the frequency response specified at 60 Ohms, but in any case a mW spec is not that helpful with headphones because headphone impedance varies so much.

Amplifiers are (approximately) "constant voltage" devices. That doesn't really mean the output voltage is constant (it varies with loudness and with music the voltage changes moment-to-moment). It means the voltage is independent of the load impedance (under normal conditions).

You can calculate power (Watts) as Voltage squared / Resistance. That means when you increase resistance you get less power and going from 60 Ohms to 600 Ohms is 1/10th the power.

Usually (but not always) headphone sensitivity is specified at 1 Volt rather than at some mW level. (A quick-search didn't turn-up a sensitivity spec for your headphones.)

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you guys recommend higher or lower Megawatts?
tumblr_mrpx6lArsf1sfjwwbo1_500.gif

Joke aside: if you don't need other features from the Presonus, there are far more competitive products as headphones amp only.

Top Bottom