• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

...!?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
My ... God -- man! What is happening with you‽
Splendid. You're one of us now.

1699735836298.jpeg

short version:

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Actually this reminds me of an old joke, about a poor person who had to have part of their large intestine removed.
Now that poor soul has a semicolon.
... and you know what that means:
Now they can only punctuate into a rubber bag that they have to wear all of the time.

:facepalm:
Semicolon? You could also see it as the lower intestine of a very large truck, I suppose...

G|force

Forum Donor
The pause with periods....
Not nearly as annoying nor cliche as saying

"having said that" in every damn post.

Yes you said that, I just read it!

You know who you are and I implore you to stop it.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I use it often to indicate I could say more but too lazy to type it... :)

On semicolon, I hardly ever use it. I vote we simplify the language and get rid of it! :D That said, there may be a reason to keep it. :D :D

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use 'em all the time. I wasn't a huge Walter Winchell fan, but rather Herb Caen, who I think was the .... master :)

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1699742917486.jpeg

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Note that Alt+<128...255> may be subject to codepage shenanigans. I found a whole bunch that do not match up to the above table (along with some that did). If in doubt I've had to resort to trusty Character Map to copy/paste a √.

Besides, the Alt key and number keys must both be on the same keyboard, as also noted in the Wikipedia article. This almost got me, but thankfully my trusty Cherry G80-3700 numpad has some extra programmable keys and one of them is assigned to Alt by default. Apparently I hadn't used any Alt codes for 2+ years, as that's how long I've had my current keyboard setup.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
On semicolon, I hardly ever use it. I vote we simplify the language and get rid of it! :D That said, there may be a reason to keep it. :D :D
say more...
:cool:;)

I like the semicolon for a couple of reasons. I think of it, first & foremost, as kind of a super-comma. That said :facepalm: it is really quite useful for separating clauses.

1699747402734.jpeg

Ooops, the other kind. :facepalm:

All this being said ;) How do all y'all feel about italics? I am -- no surprise -- a big fan.

Speaking of big fans...

1699747329015.jpeg

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You know... One can think of that wonderful example of architecture, the Tower of Pisa, as an italicised building... Eh... Eh... :-D

1699751714563.png

sam_adams

Major Contributor
All this being said ;)How do all y'all feel about italics? I am -- no surprise -- a big fan.

Yet—even with all the help posted earlier—somehow, still, the correct use of the em dash seems to elude you . . .

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
Not only annoying, but you're doing it wrong. Technically . . .
it looks even sillier spaced out like that...imo
Ellipsis is usually a big sign of internet air-lovers :p
You don't want to be one of those :)
Not sure I know what one is ... o_O
Yet—even with all the help posted earlier—somehow, still, the correct use of the em dash seems to elude you . . .
It's a tough job, but someone's gotta do it.

Top Bottom