• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

...!?

Digby

Major Contributor
Do you know...I think I am addicted to using...as a sort of pause/suspense thing when writing, but I feel...I might be starting to overuse it. What are your feelings on ... is there some kind of unwritten rule as to how and when it should be used?

D

Deleted member 21219

Do you know...I think I am addicted to using...as a sort of pause/suspense thing when writing, but I feel...I might be starting to overuse it. What are your feelings on ... is there some kind of unwritten rule as to how and when it should be used?

These are the formal uses:

However, I use a series of dots quite often , and I specifically use them for denoting a pause:

"ellipsis​

noun

el·lip·sis : marks or a mark (such as … ) indicating an omission (as of words) or a pause"

The reason is that I would like to imitate the same cadence that people would hear if I were there. Sometimes it works ... sometimes not. :p :p

Jim

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
When I was transcribing CD track data I discovered there is a UTF8 code for everything:
․ u2024 1 Dot Leader
‥ u2025 2 Dot Leader
… u2026 Horizontal Ellipsis

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Actually this reminds me of an old joke, about a poor person who had to have part of their large intestine removed.
Now that poor soul has a semicolon.
... and you know what that means:
Now they can only punctuate into a rubber bag that they have to wear all of the time.

:facepalm:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It was funny the first few times Twitter posts said "...checks notes...<some surprising thing>", but it's become an annoying cliche. So it goes with many rhetorical techniques. They are best used in moderation and hopefully in some new way.

Greatness is when you show mastery of the convention you then transcend, someone said.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1699718745557.png

1699718818642.png

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I don't aspire to greatness. I aspire to somewhat half-ass mediocrity ... and success is still beyond my grasp. :D :D

Jim ... Taylor ;)
Same.
As I am sure I've mentioned before, one of my mottoes is... Strive for mediocrity.
(for some of us -- it's a stretch goal)

Other principles by which I live include (but are not limited to):
Never eat blue food
Eschew obfuscation!
No matter where you go, there you are.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I use them a lot too! And, I probably over-use commas and I start too many sentences with, "And,". And, I can get wordy... :D

The writing here, and on most of the forums I'm active on, is pretty good!

The only thing I see that REALLY annoys me is when someone writes a long post with no paragraphs. Especially if they are trying to get help with a technical problem and there are lots of complicated details.

I'm also not a fan of "text-message shorthand" such as "U" instead of "you". I don't see a lot of that on the forums I visit either. Oh, I just reminded myself - My mother was a secretary and she knew actual shorthand. She would write us notes like "MT the trash" (empty the trash). That wasn't real shorthand but I had the impression that the concept came from shorthand.

Here's a funny thing - When I see misspelling I get the impression that the person is dumb. But, I'm a terrible speller myself and I hated writing in the days before computers and spell-check. (I usually know it "looks wrong" but somehow, sometimes I don't know how to correct it.) So there's no logical reason I should get that impression from someone else's bad spelling... weird! I DON'T get the same impression if it's obvious that English is not the writer's first language. It's also amusing when someone starts-out by apologizing for their poor English and their English is fine!

Last edited:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
My mother was a secretary and she knew actual shorthand.
That’s so cool. My mother worked as a secretary at Heineken and also knew shorthand. Years ago she showed me how it was done. Just amazing.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
You know, @Digby... I was just reflecting on the title of this post of yours -- musing, if you will...
If you're not already familiar with it, you might want to look into the interrobang.
1699734324390.jpeg
1699734642139.png

It could come in handy for myriad abstruse punctuation needs.
It could‽

:cool:
;):facepalm:

Sokel

Master Contributor
Ellipsis is usually a big sign of internet air-lovers :p
You don't want to be one of those :)

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Top Bottom