• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwest

Definitely, room treatment is key

As to PSI Audio, never heard of 'em. Just when I thought my list was final, you throw a wrench in my spokes LOL ;-) ... will take a look

Thanks!
Uhh, No to PSAudio.

hwest

Howdy All,

Just found this site few weeks ago, been a lurker since then, trying to learn, my first post here.

Been in the audiophile "game" for decades, been through many systems, had some great ones to be sure, but always felt I was missing something. NEVER considered active speakers until I started researching all the excellent material and forum on this site. Seems to be a no-brainer based upon reviews, but not being able to play with amps is a strange thought to be sure :) ... But no matter to me ... If I can get "end game" sound with active speakers, then so be it, I am agnostic!

Based upon all the reading on this site, my short lists are below ...

Active short list:
Genelec 8351B + W371A
Genelec 8361A + W371A
D&D 8C (plus subs?)
Neumann KH420 (plus subs?)
Kii Three + BXT

Passive short list:
KEF Blade Two Meta
Magico A5
Revel Ultima Salon 2
Revel Performa F228Be
Perlisten S7t
Vivid Audio Kaya 45

Note for this kind of money, of course I plan to listen to as many of these systems as possible, but would like to shrink the list a bit if possible, and that's where I need y'all's kind assistance.

My room is roughly 20'x40', with 10' vaulted ceilings. Will be primarily for music, but definitely plan to pull double duty also for home theater. Music preferences are everything (literally) except country (yuck).

So ... Opinions on the above choices? Anything not on the lists that I should consider?

Thanks all, really appreciate your help on my quest.

MKR
If you go KEF you will be sorry or your ears will be sorry with how overly bright they are. They can't get that high frequency from killing your ears on these things for the cost you would think they would be able to. I'm a B&W fan myself.

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Uhh, No to PSAudio.
If you go KEF you will be sorry or your ears will be sorry with how overly bright they are. They can't get that high frequency from killing your ears on these things for the cost you would think they would be able to. I'm a B&W fan myself.
You're responding to posts that are 130+ pages old

symphara

This was indeed one of my initial concerns with actives, and caused me to not consider them. However, i also know that actives are used in many HT and multi-chan setups, so obviously there is a way to do it, I just haven’t researched it much yet
I did research and found no nice answer. If a speaker has volume control and no fixed volume input, it can be used for HT but it’s a pain.

Basically you calibrate the AVR with a reasonable volume set on the speakers (using a dB meter). Then every time you want to watch a movie, you have to manually set the active speaker volume to that volume used for calibration, otherwise it will be out of whack.

I know someone who does this, but for me personally is too much hassle and my wife will for sure hit me over the head with the speaker if I suggest us having to embrace this procedure. In the case of the D&D actives, I fear it would be fatal.

steve59

Major Contributor
I love the Chevy vs Ford post's so full of helpful content.

Confused_by_tech

Forum Donor
Amirm did (his usual) thorough review of the Genelec 8361's some time back. Has anyone seen anything on the Salon 2's with Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS) like data?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I did research and found no nice answer. If a speaker has volume control and no fixed volume input, it can be used for HT but it’s a pain.

Basically you calibrate the AVR with a reasonable volume set on the speakers (using a dB meter). Then every time you want to watch a movie, you have to manually set the active speaker volume to that volume used for calibration, otherwise it will be out of whack.

I know someone who does this, but for me personally is too much hassle and my wife will for sure hit me over the head with the speaker if I suggest us having to embrace this procedure. In the case of the D&D actives, I fear it would be fatal.
whatchu-talkin-about-willis-arnold-jackson.gif

Peace.

ferrellms

As a Kii 3 owner, I heartily concur. They have the best bass (medium-sized room) of any speaker/sub I have heard. And by bass, not just depth and SPL, but REALISM.

petezapie

When the kiddos were little it worked great, but when they got older, not so much ;)
Any time estimate when you will be able to spill the beans?

muad

I think you're being sarcastic? But I can't tell on the internet. Usually people add a /s when they're suggesting KEFs are brighter than B&W

hwest

I think you're being sarcastic? But I can't tell on the internet. Usually people add a /s when they're suggesting KEFs are brighter than B&W
Kef's are known for being overly bright, I don't know how anyone would think that piecing noise is good but many do somehow. Not I.

Reactions: Lsc

petezapie

That commenter is a B&W fan boy and he is saying B&W are not bright and KEF is bright. Give him no space and no energy... LoL.
broad brush comments about brands are useless, models change, specs change, designs change not to mention where you heard them, what music you listened to etc..

Eetu

Forum Donor
Kef's are known for being overly bright, I don't know how anyone would think that piecing noise is good but many do somehow. Not I.
Yeah based on these Stereophile measurements I can imagine these KEFs being piercing.
Screenshot_2023-05-31-21-47-55-286-edit_com.android.chrome.jpg
And these B&Ws have a way more balanced sound.
Screenshot_2023-05-31-21-48-36-870-edit_com.android.chrome.jpg

Oh wait...
/s

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom