• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Last edited:

caught gesture

Forum Donor
That is the precise opposite of my pov.
I detest the testing and only spend time on it so I don’t get a disappointment.
I have been enjoying my current speakers for 25 years.
Agreed. I’d find little joy going through the exhaustive search for new speakers. What I have aren’t perfect, but they play the music I love and that’s good enough for me.

subframe

I’m searching for new speakers right now, and honestly it’s great. I get to spend time listening to both new and favorite music a bunch of speakers, what’s wrong with that? Throw in a little travel with the family and it gets even better.

And in all things, having context and something to compare against is incredibly educational. For example, if you drink a glass of wine, you might taste some things and like it or not, but you don’t actually learn anything about the grape/maker/vintage until you have another wine to compare it to. Same with speakers - I’ve learned a lot and refined my preferences in my search, in a way that I never could have without listening to a lot of systems.

Sure, eventually I’ll need to pull out my credit card, which can be a little stressful when choosing among a number of good options, but at least I’ll be well-informed when I do so.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m searching for new speakers right now, and honestly it’s great. I get to spend time listening to both new and favorite music a bunch of speakers, what’s wrong with that? Throw in a little travel with the family and it gets even better.

And in all things, having context and something to compare against is incredibly educational. For example, if you drink a glass of wine, you might taste some things and like it or not, but you don’t actually learn anything about the grape/maker/vintage until you have another wine to compare it to. Same with speakers - I’ve learned a lot and refined my preferences in my search, in a way that I never could have without listening to a lot of systems.

Sure, eventually I’ll need to pull out my credit card, which can be a little stressful when choosing among a number of good options, but at least I’ll be well-informed when I do so.
Let us know what you listened to and your thoughts.

Reactions: MKR

Lsc

All these reddit kids using “this is the way” haha. I didn’t know it came from a movie.
It’s from the Mandalorian show on the Disney+ channel. They say that like 30 times a show lol.

I didn’t know how prevalent active speakers are though. I don’t think I’ll be upgrading as I’m happy with my setup but lots of good info.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
It’s from the Mandalorian show on the Disney+ channel. They say that like 30 times a show lol.

I didn’t know how prevalent active speakers are though. I don’t think I’ll be upgrading as I’m happy with my setup but lots of good info.
Active speakers are prevalent, but active speakers that are full range with cardioid down to 40Hz and variable directivity are rare

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Must have really large woofer(s) and Xmax to get cardioid that low. Or am I mistaken?
I’m not even sure which one cardioid down to 40Hz but I have seen some examples down to 60Hz and yeah they have some big woofers indeed.

Lsc

Active speakers are prevalent, but active speakers that are full range with cardioid down to 40Hz and variable directivity are rare
I guess this is something to look into next year at Axpona. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom