• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$300 or less speaker integrated amp

Peen

Hi all,

I have some spare Energy RC-10's laying around that I would like to hook up to my PC. I have been researching like crazy for a sub $300 amp to drive these. Right now I am using a Lepai 2020TI, and it's ok but would like to run this in my garage on some Dayton speakers. I have narrowed down the field to a few choices, and was hoping for someone to chime in.

$249 Martin Logan Forte - Can't find any reviews, except it's similar to the Paradigm PW Amp. It does advertise Air Play which I might use once in awhile. I saw the review of the Paradigm and it wasn't exactly glowing. The manual seems quite a bit better on this then the Paradigm and mentions it has a sub crossover which could be useful. ARC would be nice as well.

$249 Paradigm PW Amp - Same basic amp as Martin Logan? This one doesn't advertise Air Play at all, and seems like people can't get it to work. I read the whole review and comments about this one. Does this have sub cross over like the Martin Logan? ARC would be nice as well.

$193.94 Klipsch Powergate - Seems like it's pretty powerful, might run a little hot. Pretty ugly. Has DAC built in, but not a great one. Little cheaper then the Paradigm and Martin Logan.

$246.47 Emotiva BasX A-100 - Very basic, but probably high quality integrated amp with no real bells are whistles. This would be ok for me most of the time. Wonder what idle power draw is? I know it has the ability to go into standby. I don't have to have all the features of the other amps, but they could be nice to have every once awhile.

All prices listed are after shipping and tax. Can anyone sway me a certain way?

Thanks!
Tyler

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
For about the cost of a Lepai you can find circa 2000 multichannel receivers on shop goodwill. The Marantz sr4300/5001-type all have line inputs to each amp. The Yamaha RX-596 are harder to find and getting to be more $$, but the RX-396 is still usually $20-40. I use one to drive a pair of R162. Works great.

Yes, you may need to add a DAC/streamer, but the LG V20 is still available NIB for $150, and an LG Rebel TracFone is $40 or less. Or a Fire 7 Tablet, or Echo input for the same.

OP
P

Peen

Seems like all the Goodwill's around me are still closed, but will keep checking.

I actually have a spare brand new LG V35 I could use for streaming. Totally forgot about that!

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Notice how Amir often doesn't really bother with listening tests for the speaker amps and DACs he reviews.

Amps sound very similar to one another. Unless get into tube amps, or you are driving solid-state amps to their limits (which is fairly easy to do with a flea-weight amp like the Lepai) they'll be all but indistinguishable.

Especially if you are running affordable mainstream bookshelf speakers (which are generally engineered not to have "special needs") as opposed to something exotic.

$246.47 Emotiva BasX A-100 - Very basic, but probably high quality integrated amp with no real bells are whistles. This would be ok for me most of the time. Wonder what idle power draw is?
I have this and love it. It runs super cool and the standby feature works great. I know Emotiva publishes the standby power draw on their site; it's like 0.5W or something.

JohnBooty

Forum Donor
Seems like all the Goodwill's around me are still closed, but will keep checking.
I've never actually seen a receiver at Goodwill. They tend to sell their nicer electronics online.

However, they are easy to find on Craigslist, FB Marketplace, etc!

BillG

Major Contributor
The Klipsch is actually running about $20 cheaper at the moment. As for its DAC, I use an Apple Dongle ($9) on my PC into the Aux on the Powergate, and a Chromecast Audio ($35) into its Phono (set to Line), both of which bypass its internal one.

Since you already on a LG, the Chromecast wouldn't be needed.

The Klipsch is also Class D, which is more energy efficient than the Emotiva's Class A/B.

As for it running warm, yes it does, but it's the power supply section and nothing extraordinary.

Here's a photo of it in my own desktop:

IMG20200607170223-01.jpeg

Reactions: Tks
OP
P

Peen

Thanks guys.

Couple questions regarding using LG for DAC, how does that work? Guessing there is an Android app that allows it to be a streaming device? Will also have to search more about the Apple dongle. I do have the Lightning to 3.5mm adapter but that's about it.

Regarding used options, been keeping my eye out on eBay. CL and everything around me in San Diego is pretty bad. People think there items are gold and asking way too much. Thanks for the Goodwill link, didn't know that existed!

This is my current setup. Heat is an issue since this is my office/server room. I was a bit leery about the Emotiva due to the A/B design, but it sounds like the Class D's run a bit hot as well. Kind of leaning towards the Klipsch at the moment.

Regarding sound quality from amp...I'm mostly in the camp of amps sound mostly the same. I'm running a Crown X4000 in my living room powering my Energy RC-70's and can't tell a difference from the Pioneer AVR. It seems like the Klipsch might be the most power bang per buck, but I'm not 100% decided on that yet.

Attachments

• IMG_3050.jpg
    IMG_3050.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 159

Mudjock

Audio Company
I understand and respect that you have done some research to narrow down your options, but I would not sleep on the SMSL SA300. Enough power for nearfield and reportedly competitive sound quality.

OP
P

Peen

I understand and respect that you have done some research to narrow down your options, but I would not sleep on the SMSL SA300. Enough power for nearfield and reportedly competitive sound quality.

That was actually the first amp I wanted to get but saw the Klipsch for only a little bit more. Figured it was originally retailed for much more and would have much better components.

BillG

Major Contributor
Couple questions regarding using LG for DAC, how does that work? Guessing there is an Android app that allows it to be a streaming device?

Screenshot_2020-06-12-13-41-25-31.jpg

BillG

Major Contributor
As for Class D running hot? Actually it doesn't. I've another Class D, with a power brick for the supply, and it doesn't run particularly hot and is certainly cooler than Class A or A/B.

With the Klipsch, it's the power supply section, which is on the right side of the unit, that runs a bit warm to the touch. However, it's certainly not searing hot. Some people have placed theirs on a laptop cooling pad as a precaution, but I've not found that to be necessary even during Summer.

JohnBooty

Forum Donor
The Klipsch is also Class D, which is more energy efficient than the Emotiva's Class A/B.
This is almost always true for AB vs D but I'm certain the Emotiva uses less power unless you are playing pink noise all day. That Emotiva stays chilly even under load whereas the Klipsch is warm even at idle.

A common theme of Emotiva A-100 reviews is the fact that there *is* a temperature-activated fan in there, but almost nobody has ever gotten it to turn on because the thing just never heats up. Maybe if you swaddle it in blankets like baby jesus or something. :)

The Klipsch seems like a very solid choice too. Played with one briefly before giving it to a friend (got it at a crazy discount) as a gift and was impressed. I don't really have an opinion on one vs. the other, other than I don't think the Emotiva's gonna jack up your energy bill and might even use less power.

BillG

Major Contributor
And again, it's not the amplifier section of the Powergate that's running hot, its the power supply. It's merely warm to the touch at that.

The Emotiva has a massive hestsink on its amp section. Also, it's in a metal casing, which would also act as a heatsink, with many ventilation slots vs the Klipsch's mostly plastic casing with just a few narrow ones at its sides.

Photos of the internals of both devices are readily available on the Web.

OP
P

Peen

Hard to deny the paradigm's and Martin Logan's including ARC and a sub out that can be crossed over. Any one have experience with these? Looks like the Forte mentions Airplay while the PW amp doesn't mention it.

Another option, although more expensive and lose the sub out. I could run Apple Dongle to paradigm/Martin Logan preamp (for room correction) to emotiva/Klipsch.

BTW, I did order the usb-c to 3.5mm Apple Dongle.

OP
P

Peen

Ended up going Topping E30 DAC -> PW Link -> Klipsch PowerGate -> Energy RC-10

Besides the Topping overpowering the PW Link (have to operate in Pre mode and turn down volume), every thing is working great!

Top Bottom