• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

1982 video introducing the CD ...

MDAguy

Forum Donor
This is a gem... I especially love the part around 5:30 where he reminds us that we're listening on a conventional TV, so we can't appreciate the quality.... Reminds me of the guys posting up videos of Hi-Fi systems and then remind us that we're hearing it thru the YouTube algorithm and compression, so we can't "appreciate" the quality on our laptop speaker...

Best part tho, is the literal last line.... they knew 30+ years ago where we were headed!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I remember the first Sony machines that we received for inventory. We went a couple of months without even having a disc to play. The CDP-101 home unit and then we had one of the first car cd players for sale in Canada the CDX-5. I worked at a upscale hi-fi shop and was the stock-boy, delivery guy and car audio installer and installed a CDX-5 into a brand new Ford Bronco II. After the installation was completed the owner of the vehicle took me on a scary back road white knuckle ride where he attempted to get the player to skip. It fortunately only skipped when we hit the biggest of ruts and potholes at 100+ km/h. The sound improvement was very dramatic and the customer was a very happy camper. :D We promptly assigned the CDP-101 to the speaker sound room where it gave us a major advantage over the competing stores that had no CD player to show or to go.

1200px-Lettore_CD_Sony_CDP-101_-_Museo_della_Scienza_e_della_Tecnologia_Leonardo_da_Vinci.jpg

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I still can't get past the prediction she stated right at the end...
She was right. I was a repair tech when the word came down the pipe that a postage stamp size memory format was coming and nobody knew when but it was in the works. We all knew our jobs where on the line and could be cut short. That was late 90's. :D

oursmagenta

Forum Donor
This is a gem... I especially love the part around 5:30 where he reminds us that we're listening on a conventional TV, so we can't appreciate the quality.... Reminds me of the guys posting up videos of Hi-Fi systems and then remind us that we're hearing it thru the YouTube algorithm and compression, so we can't "appreciate" the quality on our laptop speaker...

Best part tho, is the literal last line.... they knew 30+ years ago where we were headed!

Love the part at 6:05.
"Distortion is only at 0.05%" :eek:
A SINAD < 66db!
We, 2021 people are pretty spoiled, even if I guess most of us won't heard any difference with modern dacs;).

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I probably watches this on the ABC when it originally aired. I would have been 14.

Top Bottom