Search results

1. MRC01

Magnepan Tweeter: Repair/Replace

Well after 24 years of reliable daily service it finally happened. The right tweeter of my Magnepan 3.6/R is blown. Yet the irony is, it wasn't due to music or audio equipment! My wife decided the speakers were dusty and decided to vacuum them. She didn't know any better because she doesn't care...
  2. MRC01

Wild Solo Fusion of Jazz and Classical: They/Beast

I listened to this today and it was so unusual I figured I'd share it here. Wild and crazy: Bach (you'll recognize it): Pat Posey solos all the way through on an instrument called "Tubax" which sounds like a Godzilla sized Bari Sax. I used to play bari in jazz band and some parts of this sound...
  3. MRC01

Deutsche Grammophon on Analog Recording

I found this video on their recording and mastering process to be quite interesting.
  4. MRC01

Soldered Button Cell Battery?

My Tascam DA3000 doesn't remember the date/time clock setting, not even when powered on. The problem is that uses a button cell battery for this, and the battery is dead. This battery is a small button cell soldered to the bottom of the central PCB. I expected to find a slide-in button cell slot...
  5. MRC01

Hilary Hahn Shreds

Ysaye's violin sonatas are among my favorite works and I've collected a few different performances over the years. Yesterday I listened to Hilary Hahn's new recording and it blew my mind. She shreds, she sings, and everything in between, with seamless artistic integrity. The recording quality is...
  6. MRC01

Good Recording of Hotel California & The Long Run?

The only recordings on Qobuz are the 2013 remasters, which are squashed to death and sound terrible. I captured the streaming to disc to see why they sounded so bad, see below (red is clipping). Whoever remastered this should be ashamed of himself. The original recordings were very well...
  7. MRC01

DAC+Amp with both analog & digital inputs?

I'm looking for a DAC+Amp device that I can feed a digital signal (USB is sufficient, SPDIF would be nice), that also has an analog input. SE alone is sufficient, XLR would be nice. Yet most of the DAC+Amp devices have only digital inputs. The only ones I'm seeing having both are the Schiit...
  8. MRC01

Rachael and Vilray

Listening to these 2 albums: https://www.discogs.com/release/14255863-Rachael-Vilray-Rachael-Vilray https://www.nonesuch.com/journal/rachael-vilray-new-album-i-love-love-song-out-now-nonesuch-2023-01-13 More than just reminds me of Ella Fitzgerald recordings of the 1940s and 1950s, it's spooky...
  9. MRC01

Aviation and Mountain Biking

I'm flying my little airplane from Seattle KBFI to Moab KCNY on the 28th or 29th (weather depending) for some epic weekend mountain biking around Moab. There are some TFRs (mostly forest fires as usual) near the route, but the airports nearby are reporting good VFR conditions at least for now...
  10. MRC01

Power Amp Bias & DC Offset: Adcom 5800

After owning this amp for 28 years I finally got around to adjusting the bias & DC offset myself (I used to take it to the local hifi shops for this). The procedure worked and nothing caught on fire or exploded. I found the tech manual and the procedure is: 1. Turn amp off, connect multimeter...
  11. MRC01

Classical Instruments: Historical or Modern?

I am listening to this recording of Haydn Divertimenti. It's very well recorded, natural & detailed. https://open.qobuz.com/album/s8xim6ou2kpac The gimmick here is that they play a set of 6 pieces on period/historical instruments, then play them again on modern instruments. Which do you prefer...
  12. MRC01

Fantasy / Craft: 4 for 5 on Creedence Clearwater

Perusing Qobuz, I found that Craft Recordings has high-def reissues of the Creedence Clearwater albums, released back in 2014. I listened to the first 5. Of course they are vintage rock recordings from the late 1960s, so don't expect too much in sonic engineering. But at least Craft didn't...
  13. MRC01

Small Android Phones

All the US carriers are starting to require VoLTE for phones on their networks. My wife likes small phones and currently has a Sony Xperia Compact F5321. She loves this phone but its VoLTE doesn't work on TMobile so she will have to get a new phone. I'm looking for a good Android phone that has...
  14. MRC01

Help! My Tascam SSR1 Died

My Tascam SSR1 has given me 10+ years of faithful service and recorded about 1,000 LPs. Today it died. When I turn it on, the screen background lights up solid blue. No bootup text, none of the buttons work, it's dead. This happened suddenly, it worked yesterday and it hasn't been moved or...
  15. MRC01

Dither Unnecessary for Acoustic Recordings?

If you are recording acoustic music using microphones, then the mic, the mic preamp, etc. add a certain level of noise. This noise is typically higher/louder than -96 dB. So in effect, the bottom 1-3 bits of each sample are already randomized for you by noise from the mics & mic preamps. You...
  16. MRC01

Oppo BDP-83 Resampling Bug

This evening I discovered what appears to be a bug in my Oppo BDP-83. I was playing a DVD-A at 192-24 and noticed it had a distinct hiss, like an analog recording. But it was a modern recording (quite well engineered too, sounds great!). After some troubleshooting, I found that the hiss is not...
  17. MRC01

MiniDSP EARS: First Measurements

We have started a MiniDSP EARS on its way round-robin for people to try it out then mail to the next person. Details and sign-ups here: https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wanted-minidsp-ears.26597/post-959400 I've shared my initial measurements of vintage Sennheiser HD-580...
  18. MRC01

Denon DRM-540 Cassette Deck Measurements

Seeing @amirm 's review of the Otari reel to reel tape deck motivated me to do some calibration and measurements of a Denon DRM-540 that I bought on eBay for about $50. I don't have a scope or fancy testing gear, so I used my ESI Juli@ sound card. That should be more than sufficient for an old...
  19. MRC01

Wanted: MiniDSP Ears

Hey folks, I sold my UMIK-1 to a member here and it all went smoothly, so I figured I'd see if anyone wants to get rid of a MiniDSP Ears. It seems the kind of thing you might buy and use to measure & tune your personal headphones, then no longer have a need for it. At least that is how I want to...
  20. MRC01

Primephonic Becoming Apple Music: Alternatives?

The reason I subscribed to Primephonic for the past couple of years is because, like Idagio, they have a great catalog with metadata tailored to classical music, and unlike Idagio, they stream titles uncompressed at their native formats. The lowest quality is 44-16, and it ranges up to 192-24...
Top Bottom