• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rachael and Vilray

MRC01

Major Contributor
Listening to these 2 albums:

More than just reminds me of Ella Fitzgerald recordings of the 1940s and 1950s, it's spooky similar. That's a good thing and this is a great album. Vilray wrote the songs but you could swear they are Cole Porter songs you never heard before. Yet the album's audio engineering also resembles those recordings: recorded in mono, limited midrange-only frequency response, distortion in crescendos. Obviously, they did this for artistic effect and it's well done, for what it is. Yet I find it disappointing. With such great music, so well played, I want to hear what it really sounds like.

I'm curious what other jazz fans out there think about these albums.

Iluzun

Listening to these 2 albums:

More than just reminds me of Ella Fitzgerald recordings of the 1940s and 1950s, it's spooky similar. That's a good thing and this is a great album. Vilray wrote the songs but you could swear they are Cole Porter songs you never heard before. Yet the album's audio engineering also resembles those recordings: recorded in mono, limited midrange-only frequency response, distortion in crescendos. Obviously, they did this for artistic effect and it's well done, for what it is. Yet I find it disappointing. With such great music, so well played, I want to hear what it really sounds like.

I'm curious what other jazz fans out there think about these albums.
Try the latest Chet Baker Tribute by Amos Lee, the vinyl is fab… ‘This’ is what you were hoping for ‘that’, so well done. Beautiful.

Top Bottom