• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Oppo BDP-83 Resampling Bug

MRC01

Major Contributor
This evening I discovered what appears to be a bug in my Oppo BDP-83. I was playing a DVD-A at 192-24 and noticed it had a distinct hiss, like an analog recording. But it was a modern recording (quite well engineered too, sounds great!).

After some troubleshooting, I found that the hiss is not in the recording, but is an artifact of the BDP-83 downsampling 192 to 96. I set its max rate to 96 in settings, because that's the max that the DEQ2496 can handle. If I play the BDP-83 directly (bypassing the DEQ2496), I can switch the resampling on and off instantly. The hiss is always there whenever it resamples.

Resampling 192 to 96 should be transparent. Both frequencies are well above anything audible, and it's an integer multiple, which makes the sample rate conversion simple and transparent. Anyone heard of this before? Any suggestions?

OP
MRC01

MRC01

Major Contributor
PS: I have an idea but it sounds crazy. This recording was made in a chapel, not a studio. As in most well engineered acoustic recordings made in natural spaces, you can hear the chapel space / room noise in the quiet sections. I wonder if this constant low level background noise is somehow being amplified and "noise shaped" by a flawed downsampling algorithm?

Top Bottom