• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aviation and Mountain Biking

MRC01

Major Contributor
I'm flying my little airplane from Seattle KBFI to Moab KCNY on the 28th or 29th (weather depending) for some epic weekend mountain biking around Moab. There are some TFRs (mostly forest fires as usual) near the route, but the airports nearby are reporting good VFR conditions at least for now. It's the same trip I've made a couple of times before in recent years.
For you pilots and aviation buffs, the route: S50 - YKM - PDT - BKE - BOI - GNG (fuel) - BYI - CAUSE - TVY - FFU - PUC
Total: 780 nautical miles
1 fuel stop eastbound @ U76 or GNG With prevailing winds from the W, may require 2 fuel stops westbound on the way home. There are a several good places to stop for fuel along the way.

The reason for this trip: epic mountain biking, of course. By "epic" I mean bicycling the White Rim Canyon in a Day, otherwise known as WRIAD. 100 miles and 8,000' of climbing over a mix of gravel and rugged terrain. Been training for months to prepare. Not, not on e-bikes - where's the challenge in that? In prior years we've ridden OTGG, Bikerpelli and La Ruta.

This is with my old high school friend. We did this trip 2 years ago, and my bike broke (pawls in freehub sheared, an unusual and unexpected failure) so I missed out and he rode WRIAD by himself. Going at this time of year is to be late enough to avoid the hot summer temperatures but still early enough to avoid the bad late autumn/winter weather.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How much time to complete that flight? Wow, 100 miles and 8000' of elevation is some serious riding. I wish I could do that too. The logistics and saddlebags/backpack items alone would require many hours of study and effort to ensure everything is goody goody. It's a big undertaking I imagine.

OP
MRC01

MRC01

Major Contributor
My trusty old 1980 C-172 Superhawk cruises at about 115-120 kts, so it's 7.5 to 8 hours of flying through some of the most beautiful terrain in the USA.

Fortunately, many other people have done it before and shared tips on food, water, and equipment. And of course my friend did it himself 2 years ago. Planning-wise, doing it in 1 day is logistically easier. No need for overnight bike-camping and all the stuff that goes with it. Just carry enough food & water to get you through a full day of riding, typically 10 hours of riding / 12 hours total. Something like 6 liters of water and 240 calories / hour.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My trusty old 1980 C-172 Superhawk cruises at about 115-120 kts, so it's 7.5 to 8 hours of flying through some of the most beautiful terrain in the USA.

Fortunately, many other people have done it before and shared tips on food, water, and equipment. And of course my friend did it himself 2 years ago. Planning-wise, doing it in 1 day is logistically easier. No need for overnight bike-camping and all the stuff that goes with it. Just carry enough food & water to get you through a full day of riding, typically 10 hours of riding / 12 hours total. Something like 6 liters of water and 240 calories / hour.
1 day.... Wow! Period, full stop... I used to cycle ~2 to 6 hours /day on my hybrid but not continuously, not in the dirt all day and not on 240 calories/hr. Lots of heavy thick ham'n cheese sandwiches and some power bars to keep me peaked on caffeine. I used far more than 6 liters per day although I was in the Okanagan where the temp was about 90F-100F in summer and I had a lovely lake to refresh myself if required too. You must be in very good physical condition to do this.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good luck on the White Rim....I rode that maybe 15 years ago but did it over 3 days with a well stocked support vehicle/trailer :) Doing it in a single day just has no appeal for me, let alone riding it again, what with all the great singletrack they have in the area that is so much more fun to ride.

Did the recent monsoons/flash flooding affect anything you're planning on?

ps time flies....that was more like 20 years ago now....

OP
MRC01

MRC01

Major Contributor
Good luck on the White Rim....I rode that maybe 15 years ago but did it over 3 days with a well stocked support vehicle/trailer :) Doing it in a single day just has no appeal for me, let alone riding it again, what with all the great singletrack they have in the area that is so much more fun to ride.

Did the recent monsoons/flash flooding affect anything you're planning on?
In years past we rode some of the trails around Arches, Navajo Rocks, etc. and yes that was fun. This one is more like "type 2" fun - for the challenge. Like any big ride, it can range from "tough" to "brutal/grueling" depending on one's level of fitness & preparation. And some degree of luck - a bike technical failure or nasty crash halfway into the ride will definitely ruin your entire day.

Thanks for the tip on flooding - I'm going to do some research and find out.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In years past we rode some of the trails around Arches, Navajo Rocks, etc. and yes that was fun. This one is more like "type 2" fun - for the challenge. Like any big ride, it can range from "tough" to "brutal/grueling" depending on one's level of fitness & preparation. And some degree of luck - a bike technical failure or nasty crash halfway into the ride will definitely ruin your entire day.

Thanks for the tip on flooding - I'm going to do some research and find out.
They got hit hard in town (Moab) particularly I think about 5 weeks ago now. Youtube has some good videos....

What bike are you using? I'm more a singletrack kind of mountain biker...but always prepared for a mechanical, it's a long walk out :) Not sure what trails are available for Arches/Navajo Rocks (going to have to go look at maps now :)), those are flanking highway 191 north of town (?) near Arches?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
but always prepared for a mechanical, it's a long walk out
I would rather ride fast than walk slow in bear country. :D But you seem to when referring to previous commentary have little to no fear of those bruins. I don't trust them one little bit.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would rather ride fast than walk slow in bear country. :D But you seem to when referring to previous commentary have little to no fear of those bruins. I don't trust them one little bit.
The danger where he's riding isn't creatures (maybe snakes/scorpions sort of stuff perhaps), just remoteness and in the summer, great heat (think we did it in late august/early september that year, this is a better time of year for the area on a bike, tho if you got caught up in that monsoon a while back.....

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's an aftermath video I saw recently

OP
MRC01

MRC01

Major Contributor
1 day.... Wow! Period, full stop... I used to cycle ~2 to 6 hours /day on my hybrid but not continuously, not in the dirt all day and not on 240 calories/hr. Lots of heavy thick ham'n cheese sandwiches and some power bars to keep me peaked on caffeine. I used far more than 6 liters per day although I was in the Okanagan where the temp was about 90F-100F in summer and I had a lovely lake to refresh myself if required too. You must be in very good physical condition to do this.
240 cals / hour is about the most that the digestive system can handle during continuous endurance exercise. It's a target for sustaining energy levels all day. If you eat more, you'll slow down as your body can't digest it while maintaining high exertion levels. If you eat less, you'll run out of energy and bonk. You're actually burning much more, about 800 cals/hour, but the body can't restore all that while riding.
What bike are you using? I'm more a singletrack kind of mountain biker...but always prepared for a mechanical, it's a long walk out :) Not sure what trails are available for Arches/Navajo Rocks (going to have to go look at maps now :)), those are flanking highway 191 north of town (?) near Arches?
It's 2014 Fezzari Timp Peak, carbon frame & wheels, full suspension, SRAM XX1, 25 lbs. ready to ride, light for a full suspension bike. It's an "all-around" bike I use from gravel to technical downhills. I've put thousands of miles on it with several big rides like this. Over the years I've worn out and replaced all the usual stuff drivetrain, brakes, bearings, axles, etc. and some of the unusual stuff, like a rim that failed and Reynolds replaced under warranty. Overall it's been a great bike.

As for fun trails, Trailforks covers the Moab area pretty well.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
240 cals / hour is about the most that the digestive system can handle during continuous endurance exercise. It's a target for sustaining energy levels all day. If you eat more, you'll slow down as your body can't digest it while maintaining high exertion levels. If you eat less, you'll run out of energy and bonk. You're actually burning much more, about 800 cals/hour, but the body can't restore all that while riding.
Very interesting.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

It's 2014 Fezzari Timp Peak, carbon frame & wheels, full suspension, SRAM XX1, 25 lbs. ready to ride, light for a full suspension bike. It's an "all-around" bike I use from gravel to technical downhills. I've put thousands of miles on it with several big rides like this. Over the years I've worn out and replaced all the usual stuff drivetrain, brakes, bearings, axles, etc. and some of the unusual stuff, like a rim that failed and Reynolds replaced under warranty. Overall it's been a great bike.

As for fun trails, Trailforks covers the Moab area pretty well.
LOL last time I was in Moab no such thing as Trailforks.....was looking for my old maps/books just now, or about to find something I can throw up on my laptop screen rather than my phone I have Trailforks on :). I know they've added a fair amount of trail now so Trailforks would likely be better. Good to hear your Fezzari has lasted....I'm a Santa Cruz fanboy I supposes (have 5, used to have 6 until one was stolen).

sq225917

Major Contributor
You might want to rethink those calories, I do 400 an hour road cycling in the Peak District with an average 1000 foot of climbing per hour on a 6 hour ride. Off road I'd expect it to be over 500 unless you plan on being really leisurely.

300 calories is the most you can process in carbs alone. Take on protein and fat, different metabolic pathways.

OP
MRC01

MRC01

Major Contributor
You might want to rethink those calories, I do 400 an hour road cycling in the Peak District with an average 1000 foot of climbing per hour on a 6 hour ride. Off road I'd expect it to be over 500 unless you plan on being really leisurely.
300 calories is the most you can process in carbs alone. Take on protein and fat, different metabolic pathways.
I've done enough big rides over the years to tune it and know what works for me. As I said earlier, of course we burn way more than that but there's only so much one can eat during heavy endurance exercise. YMMV.

sq225917

Major Contributor
I'd like to think I'm a finely tuned calories burning machine, but those days are long past. I still manage 150-200 miles a week though, though mostly on the black stuff.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This may be why I was not able to have the endurance when cycling compared to in-line skating. I was in-line skating 20 miles to at the most on big days 48 miles with no issues regarding feeling bloated or bonking as you cyclists call it and I would eat nothing but drink a fair amount of water that I tanked up on at each round going past the water fountain. But when cycling I was having muscle endurance issues and I tried fruit sugar intake, cheese and meat and it never really worked for me other than liking what I was eating.

OP
MRC01

MRC01

Major Contributor
This may be why I was not able to have the endurance when cycling compared to in-line skating. I was in-line skating 20 miles to at the most on big days 48 miles with no issues regarding feeling bloated or bonking as you cyclists call it and I would eat nothing but drink a fair amount of water that I tanked up on at each round going past the water fountain. But when cycling I was having muscle endurance issues and I tried fruit sugar intake, cheese and meat and it never really worked for me other than liking what I was eating.
I see lots of cyclists eating & drinking various forms of sugar on long rides: Scratch, Gu, etc. It works for them, but I've learned that doesn't work for me. I've got to keep sugar to a minimum and eat something closer to real food: complex carbs & fiber with a little protein & fat. For example, Kind bars made of oats and nuts with 5g or less sugar. No calories in the water, just minerals to replace what I sweat out.

If you don't eat, you're relying on the body's residual energy store which typically lasts about 2 hours, more or less. Then you'll bonk hard and with your energy depleted it will be too late for eating to help you. So to go all day you've got to start eating within the first hour to avoid depleting yourself.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I see lots of cyclists eating & drinking various forms of sugar on long rides: Scratch, Gu, etc. It works for them, but I've learned that doesn't work for me. I've got to keep sugar to a minimum and eat something closer to real food: complex carbs & fiber with a little protein & fat. For example, Kind bars made of oats and nuts with 5g or less sugar. No calories in the water, just minerals to replace what I sweat out.

If you don't eat, you're relying on the body's residual energy store which typically lasts about 2 hours, more or less. Then you'll bonk hard and with your energy depleted it will be too late for eating to help you. So to go all day you've got to start eating within the first hour to avoid depleting yourself.
IC.
Carb loading takes days from what I understand and then the stored glucose can be used for extreme short duration output or for slow burning long endurance output. I also read that when the body is warmed up after some time working out that carbs like a bagel can be absorbed through the stomach in a few minutes where it usually requires the digestive system to process that bagel and that takes hours. So I would eat a bagel or two right as I stopped working out to carb load and avoid them while working out. Does that sound about right?

OP
MRC01

MRC01

Major Contributor
Carb loading takes days from what I understand and then the stored glucose can be used for extreme short duration output or for slow burning long endurance output. I also read that when the body is warmed up after some time working out that carbs like a bagel can be absorbed through the stomach in a few minutes where it usually requires the digestive system to process that bagel and that takes hours. So I would eat a bagel or two right as I stopped working out to carb load and avoid them while working out. Does that sound about right?
It's not just the bagel, but what's on the bagel: butter, cream cheese, hummus, whatever. On a century ride or longer, I'll eat a hummus sandwich on whole wheat bread at the halfway point, in addition to the Kind bars while riding. When it comes to sports nutrition, there are different approaches that work for different people. I've seen people who concentrate on sugar, or on protein, or complex carbs. Some even use ketones. Whatever approach you look at, you can find studies that support it, and others that dispute it. I think each person has to try different things and discover what works for them. That might take a year of trying different approaches on different long rides. Over the years I've learned what works for me, everyone's different so YMMV.

Top Bottom