Search results

1. D

Pseudoscience or audiophool/both?

What is your take on this article? https://gy8.eu/blog/a-bright-shining-lie/ Please read through all of it before commenting.
  2. D

B&W PX8 headphones

Has anyone bought these or had a chance to listen to them? What were your impressions? I also don't know if there are any technical measurements available on these cans yet. Would be interested to hear listener feedback from users.
  3. D

Level matching speakers and subwoofer the right way

Hi guys, So for the longest time I used to use a Galaxy SPL 140 meter that I bought from Cross Spectrum for setting speaker levels and for the subwoofer using the AVR or processors internal test tone signals. I set the speakers to 75 dB, subwoofer to 75 dB and after testing might decide to...
  4. D

Over-powered vs under-powered

I know this subject has probably been covered before but something that is unclear to me. I've read that too much power is what destroys speakers, and this can happen with too much clipped power or too much clean power. But is there any evidence to support the belief that a clipping amp at a...
  5. D

Another Paul Mcgowan video

What are your thoughts? Do you agree with Paul? :) Paul has this very comforting, calm demeanour when talking, it almost seems like you could trust what he has to say without thinking, but I know he is a salesman, first and foremost so I don't know if what he says is true or if there is...
  6. D

How to distinguish between clipping and overdriven speakers

How does a newbie determine if distortion is caused by amp clipping or because the speakers have been overdriven? If I listen to music quite loudly I notice voices and higher frequencies start to distort. Is that a function of the amp clipping or because the speaker is not capable of...
  7. D

Help setting up blind test

I need some advice. I want to test the effectiveness of an external power amp connected to an AVR. AVR is a Denon AVR-3500H. Using the preouts on the Denon, Emotiva XPA-2 (300W into 8 ohms). How would I perform a blind test between the two? Is it even possible?
  8. D

Power cord blind test

Hi guys, Found this posted on Youtube : What do you guys think about this? Any issues? Objections?
  9. D

Paul McGowan on connecting up subs - BS?

https://www.psaudio.com/askpaul/the-best-way-to-connect-a-subwoofer/ Is that really the best way to go about it? Or is Paul talking the usual BS?
  10. D

AVR vs Stereo amp

Hi guys, I need help understanding something. I've had a lot of people tell me that stereo amps even with far less power on paper sound far more powerful than AVR's. So I tested this out - I took a 50 watt Marantz stereo amp. Had a mid-range Marantz AVR 5013 (over 100 watts into 8 ohms, 2...
  11. D

AV receiver vs stereo integrated amps

What is the general opinion around these parts regarding AV receivers vs stereo integrated amps? I know the audiophile opinion is that AV receivers are no good for stereo and that a dedicated stereo amp offers "veils and veils" of superior sound quality, but are there any blind tests of stereo...
  12. D

Amplifier power / question for the EE's

Hi there, For this example, assume a fixed SPL. Let's assume you have 2 solid-state amps. One is rated to deliver 100 watts, another 300 watts. If you listen at a fixed SPL, still well below the limits of the 100 watt amp and change amplifiers to the more powerful 300 watt model, the...
  13. D

Human ears more sensitive than measuring instruments

I've heard this argument from audiophiles where they claim human ears are more sensitive to changes than measuring instruments. What are the thresholds for what can and can't be heard? Let's say regarding dB levels? 0.3 dB? How far down can measuring gear measure to? Amir? 0.03 dB? I'm not a...
  14. D

Correlating measurements to audibility

Hi guys, I've read from some experts that amps that measure good can sound bad, and amps that measure bad can sound good. Now I don't subscribe to that belief, but based on articles from Stereophile and other online publications the consensus seems to be that measurements aren't telling the...
  15. D

Power amp question

Hi everyone, Hoping there are some EEs in the house that can help me understand this. Let's say I have an AVR and decide to add a power amp to it. I do nothing else, other than adding the power amp to the AVR via the preouts. When I say do nothing else, I mean I keep my master volume and all...
  16. D

Blind test - objectivists with tin hearing?

"I had a long conversation during the show with Thorsten Loesch of Abbington Musical Research and IFI. He told me a fascinating story about confirmation bias. That’s when you are so sure of something that even strong evidence to the contrary will not persuade you to change your mind. Thorsten...
  17. D

A rant ...

Came across this post from Mike, Head Honcho at Rock Grotto boards and thought I would find out what the good members think of it : Is it just me or is this guy redefining the word "sound" to be "whatever you perceive" ie purely subjective? Sound is an objective measure. I don't agree with...
  18. D

Amplifier Sonic Signatures

I had a debate with a friend of mine yesterday about the role of tone controls in amplifiers and his position was that tone controls mess up the signal and he prefers to listen without them. Fair enough. So it got me thinking. If tone controls mess up the signal to reach a desired preference...
  19. D

Blind test design

Hi guys, Great place, glad to be here. I need some advice please. I'm trying to set up an amp comparison event with some of my audiophile friends and the listening test is going to be blinded. However I need some test design advice so that it can be a good test. I also need advice on the...
Top Bottom