• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power cord blind test

Hypnotoad

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I wonder how much Amirs measurements would improve when he would be using a 4k$ power cable for his AP instead of (probably) using the generic cable that came with it.

Is there audio going through mains cables ?

At which cable lengths do differences disappear ?
If 2meter cables are very different in 'sound' and assuming the 4k$ cable is 'perfect' then at which length will the 'generic cable' sound the same.
would 1cm be too much (compared to the wiring in the wall) or will 10cm of cable 'destroy' the beautifull sound ? ... 1m ?

The differences should be quite measurable when they can even be heard using crappy youtube sound quality.

Maybe someone can use Paul's software and see how much difference there is. (too lazy to bother)

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I wonder how much Amirs measurements would improve when he would be using a 4k$ power cable for his AP instead of (probably) using the generic cable that came with it.

Can you rewire the entire circuit with it? Imagine how amazing that would be...

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You mean all the way up to the transformer in the street somewhere or would it be needed to just replace wiring right up the fusebox only ?
And also the wiring and PCB traces right up to the transformer in the amp or do we need to wind a new transformer using the same cable ?

So many 'what if' questions keep popping up ... :)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
You mean all the way up to the transformer in the street somewhere or would it be needed to just replace wiring right up the fusebox only ?
And also the wiring and PCB traces right up to the transformer in the amp or do we need to wind a new transformer using the same cable ?

So many 'what if' questions keep popping up ... :)

Clearly, those who care will be using isolated solar charged batteries, with direct DC. Some of the light stays in the energy path all the way through and really makes the music so much brighter.

Who knows what kind of nuclear or coal contaminated electricity you could get otherwise...

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Will Furutech need to create even more expensive lower DC voltage cables ?
AC and DC are quite different in multiple aspects... the cable should be also ?
We would also need different connectors ... they are an important factor to the sound as well it seems.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Clearly, those who care will be using isolated solar charged batteries, with direct DC. Some of the light stays in the energy path all the way through and really makes the music so much brighter.

Who knows what kind of nuclear or coal contaminated electricity you could get otherwise...
Coal being organic clearly sounds better than nuclear with it's harsh glare. Peat powered generation is the best of all, it will add a smoky late night complexity to your music.

Hypnotoad

I just threw that awful Yamaha B2 VFet amp in the dumpster as now I know why it didn't sound good, if only Yamaha hadn't used a regular power chord it could have been a real winner. Thanks Yamaha!

1713362-yamaha-b2-vfet-power-amplifier-100v.jpg

Hypnotoad

Not viewable in US. :(

I watched it from Australia and it's pretty much identical to the one where he reviewed the Furutech NCF Boosters, looks like the same system with the same sound difference between using and not using, hmmmmmmmmmm.

Furutech NCF Boosters Review:

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor
I must be doing something wrong... no matter what I did it always sounded like listing to YT audio on my office sound system. I kept checking behind my monitor, but those Kefs never appeared. Also I still only had 2 channels - so did he not hook up the center? :p

Also completely sighted... since the cheap cord was thrown in front of the camera during the "B" sections... but gone during the "A" sections. Not that it mattered - my golden ears just said that both sounded as good as my system does. Though, that could be because I definitely don't have $5K power cords... since all of them came free with something I bought... I don't even have $5 power cords. Still sounded good to me.

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor
But something magical happens when you attach a $4,000 cable to the end 12/2 Romex
Yep... $4,000 disappears into thin air. Magic!

Top Bottom