Search results

1. tmtomh

Why no inexpensive multi-input digital interface?

I assume the answer here is "market reasons," but given the near-endless variety of digital interfaces and DACs out there, I have a hard time believing that. What I'm talking about is an inexpensive device that is a sort of merger of an SMSL PO100 (or PO100 Pro, doesn't matter in this...
  2. tmtomh

YouTuber claims to have passed blind test on different digital CD transports

I don't much care for threads where someone posts a link to a video where the YouTuber's claim or argument is obviously bogus, so apologies in advance if people feel that way about this one. I thought this was interesting. No direct evidence of course - the test itself was not recorded and...
  3. tmtomh

MiniDSP SHD - Possible benefits, or risks, to gluing PSU coils?

I recently got a MiniDSP SHD, and I had the common problem where it makes a hiss/noise when in standby - silent when on and operating, and of course silent when fully switched off. The hiss and noise happen only when the rear power switch is On, but the unit is turned Off aka put into standby...
  4. tmtomh

Digital format converters with multiple inputs - am I missing anything on the market?

I know there are lots of discussions about devices like USB to AES converters, but I'm wondering about something slightly more complex: I have two digital sources, one coaxial and one USB. And I'm looking for the simplest, most economical way of feeding both to active speakers with AES EBU...
  5. tmtomh

Should I Just Give Up on These Speakers?

Hello all, As noted in another thread, I recently inherited a pair of Infinity Kappa 9 speakers, in excellent shape with replaced woofer surrounds and a drop-in replacement for the original polydome midrange. They are excellent speakers in some respects, but I am having a very difficult time...
  6. tmtomh

Stupid/Basic Questions about Power and Current for Amps

Continuing with my "better to look stupid and learn something than keep quiet and remain ignorant" theme, I have a couple of questions about amp current capacity. Let's say you have an amp - like the Purifi 400 module - that's rated for max current capacity of 25A. And let's say you're driving...
  7. tmtomh

Error when loading notifications - anyone else experience this?

For the past couple of months, I often get an error when I go to the homepage, see a red numerical badge indicating I have new notifications, and click on the notification-bell icon at the top of the page.The notifications start to load, but then an error message pops up: Reloading the page...
  8. tmtomh

Can anyone help with MiniDSP/Dirac calibration problems?

Apologies in advance if these are stupid questions, but I've Googled and searched MiniDSP and Dirac discussions online and haven't found any answers. Just got a MiniDSP SHD and set everything up for Dirac Live calibration. The main problem I'm having is that measurements complete successfully...
  9. tmtomh

Any point in running Kappa 9s with a Purifi 400 stereo amp?

I've unexpectedly got the opportunity to have a pair of good-condition Infinity Kappa 9s at no cost (except that of moving them to my location). They were being run with an Adcom GFA-5800, but I have exactly zero desire to replace my current Purifi amp with a 60-pound space heater (and one that...
  10. tmtomh

Apple Music Sound Check Feature: Likely Audible Degradation or Not?

Raised this question in a thread about another, tangentially related topic. @acbarn gave a nice and very reasonable response, but I was wondering if anyone has actually done any testing or has any specific technical insight: Question is pretty simple. How much does Apple Music's "Sound Check"...
  11. tmtomh

Genelec Certified Pre-owned Thread

Starting this thread in December 2021 as a placeholder for discussion of the upcoming 2022 Genelec Certified Pre-owned program - thanks @soundwave76 for the heads-up in the 8631a thread! Here's the Genelec web page: https://www.genelec.com/certified-pre-owned I have little to offer beyond...
  12. tmtomh

How dangerous is lifting the ground on a source component?

My current signal chain is not ideal but for now it's what I have: source component (Oppo UDP-205) into graphic EQ, into power amp (Purifi-based unit). I have recently been hearing some low-level hum through the speakers when I go near them and no music is playing. (And no, I have no idea why...
  13. tmtomh

Early horizontal reflections - isn't there a price to be paid?

I have noted that when @amirm reviews a speaker that has good off-axis response - or off-axis response that helps improve the overall estimated in-room response - he writes something like, "off-axis looks good so don't go absorbing the side reflections," or "the speaker seems designed to use...
  14. tmtomh

Seeking Cost/Performance Input and Thoughts: Hypex vs Purifi vs Benchmark

Expanding on a topic that's come up in another thread, I'm looking to buy my "endgame" power amp - something that not only measures well, but also is sufficiently audibly transparent that I can feel confident that I can put it in my system and not have to think about upgrading ever again. While...
  15. tmtomh

Minor Suggestion: Put Amp Type in Subject Line

This is in no way a complaint, and not a big deal - just a suggestion to @amirm : Would it be possible, in the subject lines of your measurement threads, to specify if an amp (or a DAC-amp, or whatever), is a headphone amp or a speaker amp? It's easy to click through to the thread of course, or...
Top Bottom