Search results

1. Bob from Florida

Le son cartridges

I came across this company while researching alternative styli for Denon 103’s. Below is a link to their Denon offering - they also have their own designs as well. Anyone have any experience with these folks? https://www.leson.org/shop/denon-dl-103-mc-cartridge/
  2. Bob from Florida

Ripping records to music server NAS

I am getting closer to using the Waxwing to rip a record via the optical output - just received the Hifime optical to USB converter. My laptop is rather old and was running Windows 7 last time I used it. So, rather than try to resurrect it or buy a new one, I was looking into using my iPad for...
  3. Bob from Florida

Technics SL 1210GR2 Turntable

Technics ups the ante come December. https://us.technics.com/products/direct-drive-turntable-system-ii-sl-1210gr2
  4. Bob from Florida

DCA and Schiit collaboration

Just got an email from Schiit of a combo deal with Dan Clark Audio. https://www.schiit.com/products/aeon-jotunheim Anybody stepping up to try this combo?
  5. Bob from Florida

Dave Brubeck - Time Out

I recently heard a reissue of this recording on vinyl. It sounded so good, I checked availability. Acoustic Sounds has both the 331/3 and 45 RPMS available. Ran me $40, and to get above $49 for free shipping - added a couple of $5.99 vinyl releases. Adele 30 double album set and an old...
  6. Bob from Florida

Wilson Alexia 2 Speakers

An audio buddy asked me to help him set up a pair of Alexia 2's he just purchased. Very interesting speakers - out of my price range, but the chance to do initial setup was cool. https://www.wilsonaudio.com/products/alexia/alexia-series-2 The speaker has to be assembled - a bass module with...
  7. Bob from Florida

NAS for Music Servers

Currently using 2 separate Raspberry Pi 4's in different rooms - Volumio as the application. I rip to 3 hard drives via dbpoweramp - a drive for each Pi plus a backup. Since Volumio supports NAS I am looking at implementing that for convenience for ripping new CD's. Currently looking at the...
  8. Bob from Florida

The Courteous Vinyl Playback Discussion

There have been a number of threads started that seem to descend into vinyl bashing, bullying, and lack of respect. The title of this thread should set the tone. If your are tempted to post here in a “Tellarite” manner - Trekkies will recognize this reference - don’t do it here. Instead start...
  9. Bob from Florida

Federal Express Rant

Federal Express is definitely not the company featured in "Castaway" any longer. They have been going downhill for years with the pandemic making it exponentially worse. My company uses them for repair parts and meeting delivery times has been dicey at best. Last week the control board in my...
  10. Bob from Florida

Digital Room Correction Device

I am looking into a possible room correction component. The functions desired are below. Analog input and output- unbalanced connections. At least 96 KHZ sample rate by 24 bits ADC. Conversion back to analog at least Schiit Modius quality. Ability to connect to local network to allow headless...
  11. Bob from Florida

Ifi Zen Phono

Amir - given the level of cooperation from Ifi as of late - any chance the Zen Phono is in the pipeline? The published specs point towards an extraordinarily quiet phono stage.
  12. Bob from Florida

New Vollenweider LP from 2020

Anyone familiar with Andreas Vollenweider understands his music has a certain theme that also explores new ideas. I have a lot of his music on Vinyl and CD, even saw him in concert in the 1980's. Anyway, while wasting time on the internet last week I visited his website...
  13. Bob from Florida

Schiit Modius versus Bifrost

Below are screenshots from Schiit's website with measurements by Schiit. Modius has significantly fewer harmonics but has higher noise in the low frequencies. Bifrost shows higher harmonics but much lower noise floor. The question posed is "which DAC sounds better" or will you not notice any...
  14. Bob from Florida

VTA Lifter

I usually don't tinker with VTA too much since all the arms I have owned simply had a set screw to loosen to move the base up or down. I would pick an average VTA - middle value between thick and thin vinyl. I pulled the trigger on the VTA lifter option for my Clearaudio Performance DC Satisfy...
  15. Bob from Florida

How much do DAC measurements matter

I ran a test for grins last night - sighted as I was by myself. My Raspberry pi running Volumio normally connects to a Schiit Modius which outputs via balanced to my Luxman integrated. I ran a second usb cable from the pi to my IFI idsd Signature which outputted via unbalanced to the Luxman...
  16. Bob from Florida

When will Schiit use the AKM4499

Schiit used the 4493 in the Modius yet still uses the 4399 in the Gungnir. It seems past time for them to introduce a non-multibit DAC with a top shelf Delta Sigma DAC.
  17. Bob from Florida

Loudness compensation

Forty years ago my first integrated amp had loudness compensation. Then I steadily migrated to all separate components. A year ago I returned to a full function integrated - tone controls, defeat all tone controls, and loudness compensation. I find I like the loudness compensation with a lot...
  18. Bob from Florida

iFi Micro iDSD Signature

Just set up a dedicated headphone system. Raspberry pi 4 running Volumio to the iDSD Signature to Meze Classic 99 headphones. Initial listening - excellent sound quality. The power output is quite high - to use the volume knob between 9 and 12 o'clock unit is set for "eco" and sensitive...
Top Bottom