• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ifi Zen Phono

Godataloss

Amir - given the level of cooperation from Ifi as of late - any chance the Zen Phono is in the pipeline? The published specs point towards an extraordinarily quiet phono stage.
I'm intrigued by it as well having just dipped my toes in the moving coil waters. I'll buy one if Amir will test it.

OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I'm intrigued by it as well having just dipped my toes in the moving coil waters. I'll buy one if Amir will test it.
I bought one untested and posted some measurements referencing low noise in another thread. I am keeping it!

Link to thread and below and a copy/paste from the thread.

Post in thread 'I can't tell a difference between 4 phono preamps'
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...ce-between-4-phono-preamps.30363/post-1132801

I got a chance to do some spectrum measurements at the right channel with my iPhone right at the output of the midrange driver of my Grand Veena loudspeakers. Midrange is direct connected - no crossover and runs full range. These measurements are relative only and may not be calibrated. As such they serve to show noise floor differences only at the loudspeaker. Slide 4 Luxman volume was reduced by 6 db to compensate for the additional 6 db of gain in the Zen balance output mode. By the way I checked typical loud playback volume at my listening position with 75 to 80 db peaks with the balanced output and that was around -42 db on the Luxmen - considerably less than the volume used for hearing background noise with no music playing. As you can see from the last slide Phonomena not nearly as quiet as the Zen with the Zen doing best with the balanced output.
Hopefully Amir will get one of these to test to see how it stacks against the other phono stages previously tested.

1648398393506.jpeg

1648398439323.jpeg

1648398478543.jpeg

1648398502642.jpeg

1648398566878.jpeg

Godataloss

I bought one untested and posted some measurements referencing low noise in another thread. I am keeping it!

Link to thread and below and a copy/paste from the thread.

Post in thread 'I can't tell a difference between 4 phono preamps'
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...ce-between-4-phono-preamps.30363/post-1132801

I got a chance to do some spectrum measurements at the right channel with my iPhone right at the output of the midrange driver of my Grand Veena loudspeakers. Midrange is direct connected - no crossover and runs full range. These measurements are relative only and may not be calibrated. As such they serve to show noise floor differences only at the loudspeaker. Slide 4 Luxman volume was reduced by 6 db to compensate for the additional 6 db of gain in the Zen balance output mode. By the way I checked typical loud playback volume at my listening position with 75 to 80 db peaks with the balanced output and that was around -42 db on the Luxmen - considerably less than the volume used for hearing background noise with no music playing. As you can see from the last slide Phonomena not nearly as quiet as the Zen with the Zen doing best with the balanced output.
Hopefully Amir will get one of these to test to see how it stacks against the other phono stages previously tested.

1648398393506.jpeg

1648398439323.jpeg

1648398478543.jpeg

1648398502642.jpeg

1648398566878.jpeg
What gain level were you using on the Zen?

OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
What gain level were you using on the Zen?
Hana SL cartridge at setting “3” which is 60 db at RCA output and 66 db at balanced output - 1000 ohm load at that selection. The Phonomena 2+ was also set for 60 db and 1000 ohm load. Completely satisfied with the results.

WDeranged

I'm also very keen to see how the Zen Phono stacks up. Especially in regards to overhead. I own one and the clicks and pops don't seem any worse than the Schiit Mani I had previously, or the Rega Fono Mini.

It's a great sounding piece of kit though. I prefer it to the Fono, and I think it sounds more similar to the Mani but with a much lower noise floor.

OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I'm also very keen to see how the Zen Phono stacks up. Especially in regards to overhead. I own one and the clicks and pops don't seem any worse than the Schiit Mani I had previously, or the Rega Fono Mini.

It's a great sounding piece of kit though. I prefer it to the Fono, and I think it sounds more similar to the Mani but with a much lower noise floor.
I agree, the noise floor is the key differentiator.

deniall83

Completely subjective, but I have one and it is indeed incredibly quiet. I've owned some much more expensive phono stages and don't see a need to upgrade from this one. It's quieter than my Musical Surroundings and Musical Fidelity phono stages. A massive improvement over the built-in stage of my Yamaha amp.

Godataloss

What cart are you using with it?

Godataloss

Gotta say this thing is really nice. If anything it sounds "warmer" than my tubed phonostages. I just got the balanced cable today after a couple days of listening single ended. Is the output higher with a balanced cable? Seems to be.

OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Gotta say this thing is really nice. If anything it sounds "warmer" than my tubed phonostages. I just got the balanced cable today after a couple days of listening single ended. Is the output higher with a balanced cable? Seems to be.
Balanced output is 6 db higher than single ended. It is a great phono preamp - especially for the money - seriously kicks butt against my Musical Surroundings Phonomena 2+. The noise floor is the difference.....

OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Gonna try it with the Allo Nirvana power supply. It's 5v. should work, right?
5 volt supply yes - unlikely to make any difference. Internally, the Zen uses a 1.2 MHZ switcher that makes plus and minus 12 volts for the preamp rails. Ifi does make an "upgraded" 5 volt supply that is compatible, but given the noise floor is already pretty low....

Godataloss

5 volt supply yes - unlikely to make any difference. Internally, the Zen uses a 1.2 MHZ switcher that makes plus and minus 12 volts for the preamp rails. Ifi does make an "upgraded" 5 volt supply that is compatible, but given the noise floor is already pretty low....
This guy?- https://www.amazon.com/iFi-iPower-Elite-Supply-Adapter/dp/B08S622SM7?th=1
It would be such an audiophile thing for me to do to pay more for the power supply than I did for the preamp.

OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
This guy?- https://www.amazon.com/iFi-iPower-Elite-Supply-Adapter/dp/B08S622SM7?th=1
It would be such an audiophile thing for me to do to pay more for the power supply than I did for the preamp.
Not that one. This one is the one most often purchased as an upgrade. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B084...IR&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9kZXRhaWw
I suppose it is possible noise may be further reduced, but given the audio circuitry all runs off the 1.2 MHZ inverter - very doubtful any audible differences. You might gain something from less 60 HZ being brought in via the power cable - radiated noise pickup. When I ran my comparison noise test between the Zen and the Phonomena 2+, it is possible the Zen already got rid of all the circuitry noise and all that remained was noise the cartridge was picking up. If I wanted to try an upgraded supply, I would be certain of a useable return policy....

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would be interesting to see if it brought the noise level of the MC ultra low setting down.
Write to them and ask them, I'm sure they have measurements that back up their claims of lowering noise in the connected device.

Top Bottom