• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VTA Lifter

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I usually don't tinker with VTA too much since all the arms I have owned simply had a set screw to loosen to move the base up or down. I would pick an average VTA - middle value between thick and thin vinyl. I pulled the trigger on the VTA lifter option for my Clearaudio Performance DC Satisfy Arm combo. Installed last night and aligned - took about a hour. This thing is amazing - you pull the lever to change VTA to match your record thickness while the record is playing. You can level the arm in moments. This is one of those things you did not know was missing until having it. Subjective listening - small changes around the tone arm being level enhance the 3D imaging. Bigger movements affect tonal balance - which I already knew but the fine adjustment completes the picture.
1626873856632.jpeg

1626873890542.jpeg

Britsound

Hi Bob,
I have the same turntable and arm as you and have also been considering the vta lifter after hearing a demo of vta adjustment on the fly. I wanted to ask if you needed to purchase another arm board for the turntable or does it work with the satisfy board? Also interested in hearing how complicated it was to install it?
Best regards,
Andrew

OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Hi Bob,
I have the same turntable and arm as you and have also been considering the vta lifter after hearing a demo of vta adjustment on the fly. I wanted to ask if you needed to purchase another arm board for the turntable or does it work with the satisfy board? Also interested in hearing how complicated it was to install it?
Best regards,
Andrew
Hi Andrew. Unfortunately you have to get a different arm board because the diameter of the lifter mechanism is much larger than the existing hole. Makes sense when you think about it as your tonearm mounts inside the lifter. The new base is designed the same as the old base - it is a concentric and you rotate it to set the 222 mm distance from spindle to arm pivot then tighten the 5 allen screws on the underside. List price was $700 for the lifter and $300 for the arm board. I used audio money from sold gear to buy it, otherwise I probably would not have spent that much on the option. I am happy with it and it really makes this table / arm combo on par with an arm like the Graham Phantom for a fraction of the cost.
Installation is super simple. The only thing you will spend some time - not a lot - is setting the range of VTA range. Two things to consider. Overall range and interference at the extremes with the cueing lift. You may end up fine tuning the cue lift position a few times to get it to work at both extremes of the lever adjustment. If you are mechanically inclined, you will figure it out.

Britsound

Thank you for getting back to me, your description is very helpful. I think this is something I could manage to install myself. I like a good challenge and something technical to figure out. Like you said it is an expense to consider carefully, not a cheap upgrade. Thank you again for taking the time to reply.

Best regards,

Andrew

Top Bottom