• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

iFi Micro iDSD Signature

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Just set up a dedicated headphone system. Raspberry pi 4 running Volumio to the iDSD Signature to Meze Classic 99 headphones. Initial listening - excellent sound quality. The power output is quite high - to use the volume knob between 9 and 12 o'clock unit is set for "eco" and sensitive ieMatch positions. Turbo mode gets way too loud with minimal volume knob rotation with these headphones. I will try to get some hours on it this week to get a better idea if this one is a keeper.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I own the original and I really like it. Very powerful. Easily drives my HD 800s, and can be dialed back to drive my LCD-X's, and even my IE 800's with the IEM settings. If I had just one amp and DAC, this is the one I'd want.

OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I own the original and I really like it. Very powerful. Easily drives my HD 800s, and can be dialed back to drive my LCD-X's, and even my IE 800's with the IEM settings. If I had just one amp and DAC, this is the one I'd want.
The iPhone lightning to camera cord came in yesterday and was tested with the Signature. Way better driving the Classic 99's versus direct from the iPhone. The portability between Raspberry pi and the phone as a source is nice.

OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
At least 9 hours listening time this week and still on the initial battery charge. Unless it breaks during the first 60 days - Crutchfield purchase - it is staying. I don't have a lot of experience with products like this but can very much recommend based on functionality and sound quality. I get just as much joy out of listening to this setup as my speaker based system!

ALex_hha

Is there any advantages of iFi Micro iDSD Signature over iFi Micro iDSD ?

Veri

Master Contributor
I'd stick to the original if I'm being honest. The signature has a 4.4mm output, but it is wired the same way as the original model, it's not balanced: has no additional power or anything. Just an extra connector. Hardly seems worth paying more for. The 'Diablo' they made afterwards does have more power but its very costly, for its price you can get some dac+amp stack with seriously better performance.

So yeah not sure their next offerings after iFi micro BL are with it ;) IMO.

faheem

Forum Donor
I'd stick to the original if I'm being honest. The signature has a 4.4mm output, but it is wired the same way as the original model, it's not balanced: has no additional power or anything. Just an extra connector. Hardly seems worth paying more for. The 'Diablo' they made afterwards does have more power but its very costly, for its price you can get some dac+amp stack with seriously better performance.

So yeah not sure their next offerings after iFi micro BL are with it ;) IMO.

Seriously better? Where has the Diablo been measured?

The Signature also lacks the analog in or spdf out, which the Black Label had.

Veri

Master Contributor
Seriously better? Where has the Diablo been measured?
It's not been measured anywhere that I'm aware of. But really, the Diablo is $1000 range. That can get you top of the line desktop gear. Why bother with a powerful transportable :p I don't 'get' its target market or purpose.

faheem

Forum Donor
It's not been measured anywhere that I'm aware of. But really, the Diablo is $1000 range. That can get you top of the line desktop gear. Why bother with a powerful transportable :p I don't 'get' its target market or purpose.

Ah. So I own a Diablo. Reason is I don't like being tied to a desk and have an aversion to cords and big housings / units, we go wireless wherever we can at home. partner has a bose wireless speaker which she uses when she's working, Wireless kb and mouse and my pc case is built in a Coolermaster NR200P ( Mini ITX Case ).... we're so crazy, our bed lights are wireless.

I have my pc hooked up to my tv along with consoles. I have a Topping BC3 connected to the Diablo and use my headphones through BT Ldac for Deezer on phone and APTX LL for movies/ gaming.

I got the Diablo to drive hp measured at 60 ohm / 91.5db for 1V @ 1khz, for my iem I use BTR5 or Xcan.

Veri

Master Contributor
I got the Diablo to drive hp measured at 60 ohm / 91.5db for 1V @ 1khz
I see. Yeah, I guess you found a use case for it, then :p:p (OTOH, nothing an A30 Pro + any good DAC couldn't drive I guess)

OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I purchased the Signature after reading amir's review on the Black Label because of availability. Looks like the Black Label is discontinued.
So, digging a bit deeper. As mentioned - no analog input now or spdif out - not a concern since this setup for me only involves digital sources. Balanced output using ifi's S-Balanced circuit - read about here https://ifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/iFi-audio-xCAN-S_BAL-Tech-Note.pdf . Same power - 4.1 watts max to single-ended and balanced. If I every get a pair of Aeon RT's I will be set. If you seriously need more power - Diablo or some other product. IEM match control is new and in conjunction with eco mode gets me the useful range on the volume control I desire with my Meze Classic 99's. MQA support also included with one of the 3 filters settings customized for it. Casework is cleaner with all controls available on front and side - color looks nicer to me. $50 more expensive - not a concern to me - Crutchfield 60 day piece of mind. Once I had used it for a month I knew it was a keeper. Bottom line is I have a portable solution - between Raspberry Pi 4 or iphone - costing around $1000 total including headphones that is equal to a $20,000 stereo system! I'm pretty happy with this.

OP
Bob from Florida

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
hmm, haven't found any info on their site

So you are 100% satisfied with iFi Micro iDSD Signature ?

BTW
Have you considered iFi xDSD ?

The Black Label is listed under legacy products - not in current product list.
I am completely satisfied with the Signature. The only thing changing that would be if it became unreliable.
I have not looked at the xDSD and would not likely do so at this time. I tend to keep gear for the long haul.

Top Bottom