Search results

1. voodooless

Multichannel audio on a Pi will get a whole lot easier and cheaper!

The release date of the Raspberry Pi 5 is growing ever closer, although it’s still not clear when exactly it’s going to be released. So actually, it will be available Oktober 23rd :) Even so, more I formation has surfaced lately, and it may be really interesting for those who are after...
  2. voodooless

Why we don’t see any bleeding edge process node mixed signal audio ICs, but might in the near future

So, we all know about the AKM fire destroying a significant part of the semiconductor industry for more than a year. This factory obviously made more than just our beloved AKM DACs. The reason why we didn’t see these chips simply made by other foundries is that these chips are predominantly...
  3. voodooless

Eminence is bought by B&C group

So, it seems the market consolidation in speaker manufacturing land is progressing ever more. This time, Eminence was the target. They’ve been acquired by the B&C group...
  4. voodooless

SOLD: 2x Genelec 8040A + 1x Genelec 8040B

As the title says, I'm selling a pair of excellent Genelec 8040As and a single 8040B. They are all in good to excellent condition, and obviously sound superb. Asking € 900,- for the pair, and € 500 for the single. Or make a good offer.. You're obviously welcome to listen to them in person...
  5. voodooless

Home Theatre surround speaker SPL requirements

This is a question that comes up a lot: how loud must those surround speakers go compared to the fronts? While it's very tempting to just have all speakers of the same model, it is often impractical and economically undesirable. So what gives? What can you get away with? Instinctively, my...
  6. voodooless

Cheap upgrades: IKEA OBEGRÄNSAD

Hi there, Just got myself a pair of IKEA OBEGRÄNSAD: Useful for raising your desktop speakers a bit. I was going to DIY these things, but for € 10,- a pop, there is really no contest. It says limited time available, so be quick.
  7. voodooless

Had to logout/login to post again

No idea if I’m the only one, but about a hour ago I could not submit new post anymore. Tried various things: different topic, new tab, refresh page, redo the reply… nothing worked. What fixed it, was logging out and in again. No idea what happened here, but possibly more people encountered this...
  8. voodooless

Crazy PA Coaxials for Hifi

... So, were going to talk coaxial again... Well, deal with it :cool: We all know that KEF and Genelec (and there are a few others out there as well) make the top end of HiFi coaxials. They can be best used in 3-way systems, but obviously, KEF also has 2-way's. Obviously, 3-way systems add...
  9. voodooless

What happened to the dark theme?

Since just a minute ago, the dark forum theme seems to be missing not dark anymore. @amirm upto some admin shenanigans?
  10. voodooless

Amps are broken in Marantz SR6010, fixable?

So I have an aging Marantz SR6010, which has never been a reliable machine anyway, but it is what I have, and it sort of works, so deal with it ;). The thing is: I never really used any of the amps and have been running stereo mode for most of its lifetime using an external amp. Until I didn't...
  11. voodooless

The "wife in the kitchen" myth is real!

Yes, folks! I would have never believed it, but now I experienced it myself! The wife in the kitchen can really hear improved audio... ... So last week I exchanged my pair of Kef R500's for Genelec 8040B's. So I set up the system and put on some tunes. One of them was from a Sting live concert...
  12. voodooless

Active center speaker on a budget

My very first serious DIY speaker project was a centre speaker about two decades ago. Back then I was already aware of the fact that a horizontal center speaker usually does not have a decent off-axis response. So my center was vertical, comprising of 2x Monacor SPH-135KEP, one of the lower...
  13. voodooless

OMG, the forum was offline for an update...

So a few hours ago, to my great dismay, my eyes started twitching after I found out that the forum was offline for an update o_O. Those minutes were unbearable.. Was the forum finally hacked by the audiophile cabal? Would the forum ever come back? Would it still be the same? Luckily as it turns...
  14. voodooless

HDMI over CAT*, any experience with HDBaseT products?

Recently I changed my TV setup to hide basically all equipment and a sub in an Ikea cabinet. For now, that excluded the AV receiver, which I didn't use at the time. After however, my pi setup died for the 4th time (tried various distro's.. none of them seem to be stable, most of them suck), I'm...
  15. voodooless

On paper experiment of a Bessel line array

Instead of actually building a speaker, you can also have a lot of fun simulating one, and learning something along the way :cool: In that spirit, I was contemplating the following scenario: I'd like to add some acoustic damping to my room, but I'd also want to have some wife friendly surround...
  16. voodooless

Find my sub!

I'm busy changing my setup a bit. The idea is to hide most of the nasty stuff. So mostly get rid of the cables and equipment and make it look clean. The idea was to use an Ikea BESTÅ enclosure and TV mount, hang it on the wall and hide everything inside. The middle section is used to house a...
  17. voodooless

Distortion down to -300 dB, what exactly does that mean physically?

As some of you guys might know, the famous Rob Watts has mentioned on more than one occasion that he can hear and measure distortion down to -300 dB. Cited by @amirm here for instance. He also says something similar in this video: Staring at roughly the 17min mark. Now I was thinking about a...
  18. voodooless

RG179 for line level audio and/or SPDIF

I’m about to lay some cables. I really don’t need a discussion about the audiophile qualities of cables :facepalm:, just want to know about the technical usefulness. So, I’m reshuffling some stuff so I can add two sub’s and possible some side and rear speakers for surround. For this I’ll be...
  19. voodooless

Hans is at it again

I'm sad to say it, but my fellow countrymen Hans van Beekhuyzen was been at it again. This time with a new video about a passive device that claims to remove noise from streamer network cables. I'm not going to give him the satisfaction of linking the video here. Just search youtube for "Network...
  20. voodooless

WAF friendly, cost effective acoustic absorption panels

So my room is quite reverberant, with a ceramic tiled floor (carpet in front of speakers) and plastered brick walls. The only plus side is the relatively high ceiling at 280 cm, as well as the fact that it's wood and plaster (90 years old original). I did a few simulations using REW of the room...
Top Bottom