• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What happened to the dark theme?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Since just a minute ago, the dark forum theme seems to be missing not dark anymore. @amirm upto some admin shenanigans?

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Its still there for me. Maybe its just so dark you can't see it?

OP
voodooless

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, it’s there:
487BFDF7-089F-488F-97DE-0F9C61D8CD6D.jpeg

But it ain’t dark anymore… not for me at least…

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Its dark for me. Actually dark gray. Maybe dark slate. Maybe with a tinge of magenta.

OP
voodooless

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm, the plot thickens.. if I disable “night mode” in my browser (Brave iOS), I get the usual dark colors back. I’ve never seen that before :( Didn’t touch the setting either. Also the feature has been there for about a month… anyway, it seems to do exactly the opposite from what it should do.

Last edited:
OP
voodooless

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just checked the various settings and they work for me. Did you try XF2 Deafult Dark?
Like I said above, looks like it’s a browser feature (or rather, a bug).

iMickey503

Forum Donor
Was going to start a therad, Thankfully this popped up.

The Dark mode has some isues. THis one HERE:
1655187691107.png
You can't see the boxes.

This gray font does not pop and have enough contrast.
I've been using FIght Club. Easy to read works well. But the dark theme could take some improvements. Not a big deal. Bit something I noticed.

I actually prefer a white text over black with some Red used as it gives a very sharp and clear defined layout.

JSmith

Master Contributor
isn't it supposed to be easy on the eye in "dark" mode?
That's the theory... personally dark themes really screw with my eyes. Maybe I need to see an optometrist... :facepalm:

No issues here though Win/Chrome on PC when selecting dark mode.

JSmith

Propheticus

Dark modes may not provide enough contrast​

Inverting a color scheme won’t necessarily yield high contrast. The Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) requires content to meet a minimum color contrast ratio of at least 4.5:1 for normal text, with exceptions for large text, incidental (or decorative) text, and logotypes. To meet Level AAA conformance, content must maintain a 7:1 contrast for normal text.

Dark modes have numerous benefits for certain users:

• If a screen has flicker problems, dark backgrounds can reduce flickering.
  • Dark themes are less likely to trigger photophobia (sensitivity to light).
  • Light-colored text on a dark background can be easier to read for a long period of time.
  • Dark themes can make screens easier to use in low-light conditions.
Put simply, dark modes are popular for a reason: For many people, these themes provide a more pleasant experience. Dark backgrounds may reduce eye strain, and some users simply prefer the aesthetic. When developers pay attention to contrast ratios, dark modes can improve accessibility.

A handy contrast checker linked on that page: https://color.a11y.com/

Propheticus

personally dark themes really screw with my eyes. Maybe I need to see an optometrist...

"dark backgrounds can cause a "halation effect" for users with astigmatism. Darker displays cause the iris to open to receive more light. For people with astigmatism, this can make focusing more difficult."

People into photography will know this effect as softer images due to aberration on larger apertures and a shallower depth of field.

Propheticus

A handy contrast checker linked on that page: https://color.a11y.com/
Had to trick the page to use the dark theme by using the redirect URL you get when making the style selection
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?misc/style&style_id=4&_xfRedirect=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.audiosciencereview.com%2Fforum%2Findex.php%3Fthreads%2Fsabaj-a10d-2022-version-review-dac-amp.34918%2Fpage-4&t=1655203807%2C7ae8b8ff81b36e825caca0a9e70f1527

Overall looks okay, with a few possible improvements. Two I think worth looking at:
  • The "Click to expand" text on long quotes is really unreadable. Contrast 1.41:1
    1655204968893.png
  • The second line (Thread OP, date, subforum) and some bits of other text in the "Similar threads" are low-ish in contrast
    The same counts for the thread info by-lines on the forum and subforum pages.
    1655205084702.png

Last edited:

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Really wish dark mode had a bit better contrast

Andysu

Major Contributor
Had to trick the page to use the dark theme by using the redirect URL you get when making the style selection
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?misc/style&style_id=4&_xfRedirect=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.audiosciencereview.com%2Fforum%2Findex.php%3Fthreads%2Fsabaj-a10d-2022-version-review-dac-amp.34918%2Fpage-4&t=1655203807%2C7ae8b8ff81b36e825caca0a9e70f1527

Overall looks okay, with a few possible improvements. Two I think worth looking at:
  • The "Click to expand" text on long quotes is really unreadable. Contrast 1.41:1
    View attachment 212690
  • The second line (Thread OP, date, subforum) and some bits of other text in the "Similar threads" are low-ish in contrast
    The same counts for the thread info by-lines on the forum and subforum pages.
    View attachment 212691
The Dark Side of the Forum is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.
its possible to learn this headless black panther power ?
not from a regular member .
Screenshot 2023-01-26 17.54.00.png

Top Bottom