Search results

1. richard12511

Magico S3 NFS Spinorama and comparison to Revel F228Be

I was watching this Magico factory tour video by Audiophile Junkie on youtube, and about 18 minutes in, I think they show a Klippel lazer vibrometer comparison between a Magico A5 and Revel F228Be. The Magico speaker does look quite a bit better by comparison, though it is more expensive. They...
  2. richard12511

Ultra high end speaker manufacturers that rely heavily on measurements?

What ultra high end manufacturers out there rely heavily on measurements and produce products that measure really well? Vivid, YG Acoustics, Grimm, B&O, Focal and Magico are some that come to mind for me. Maybe Rockport?
  3. richard12511

ASR recommendations should take price into account, and shouldn't only be based on the subjective test.

Let me first say I'm fine with the Panther rating. I actually like the fact that it has almost nothing to do with the measurements. It gives us two different metrics(objective and subjective). However, I think the recommendation should be divorced from the panther rating. Recommending that...
  4. richard12511

Speaker dealers in Las Vegas?

I'll be traveling to Las Vegas soon, and I always like to visit a couple loudspeaker dealers while I'm out and about. Any suggestions? Looking mostly at high end speakers.
  5. richard12511

Another D&D 8C review

He's a youtuber I'm subscribed to and like to watch from time to time. I thought it was a really great review. I like him because he tends to be very objective and anti snake oil. Edit: @hardisj , I plugged your channel a bit. Being subscribed to and having seen many White Sea Studio's videos...
  6. richard12511

PIR as a function of listening distance?

What distance is the standard PIR for? Would it be possible to calculate PIR with distance as a parameter. Increasing distance will lead to increased slope. I did some googling, but couldn't really find anything like what I was looking for. I believe Harman's targets are based on 3m or 3.5m...
  7. richard12511

Rockport Technology Speakers: Custom Crossovers

Anyone ever heard these speakers? or owned? Looking at the stereophile measurements, they actually look to be really well engineered. Definitely way too expensive on performance metrics alone, but it's nice to see an uber high end brand with good measurements for once. Watching one of their...
  8. richard12511

How do I play multichannel music through Roon and a Denon AVR?

I've been trying to get into multichannel music, but I'm confused on what Roon settings and AVR settings I need to use to make it work. Everything I've tried so far sounds much worse than just playing the stereo version of the same song and upmixing to Auro-3D. When I play the multichannel...
  9. richard12511

Popping sound from Subs since remving DDRC88A

I'm in the process of trying to switch from Dirac Live to Audiolense Room correction. I bought a new windows pc specifically for the purposes of trying audiolense. Today I removed the DDRC88A from the audio chain, but doing this seems to have caused some issues. I've had Dirac turned off for...
  10. richard12511

Genelec 8351b Vertical vs Horizontal Orientation

Ran some tests today to see what the measurable differences are. The horizontal orientation controls directivity down to ~250Hz, due to the wider baffle. Below are the differences I measured. Measurement is a MMM over ~2 seat cushions and no EQ applied. My conclusion based on this? It's...
  11. richard12511

Salon2 vs F328Be

Just saw this pop up. About to watch it :D *Edit: Didn't know the extension difference was so large. Salon2 definitely wins a full range blind test with that much more extension. Also, I had already seen most of the video :(.
  12. richard12511

Anyone own or heard Ascendo subwoofers?

I'm just learning about this company today. A German company that seems objective focused. They're subwoofers look insane. For example: Are these the ultimate end game subwoofers? What are the downsides of a 32" driver(in the subwoofer range)?
  13. richard12511

GLM 4 Target Curve testing

A few months ago I started testing different target curves using Group Presets. Unfortunately, after measuring the results with REW it seems that all of the target curves were basically exactly the same, except the "Manual Ext: 0 Str: 7+" curve. All other curves besides that manual curve...
  14. richard12511

Heavenly Soundworks

Saw this review pop up on my youtube recommendations today. Based on watching many of his videos, I get the sense that the reviewer does have heavy bias against active speakers. He's into pre-amp/amp/dac synergy and all that, which actives negate. I don't mean to bash the reviewer too much, but...
  15. richard12511

Billie Eilish and Finneas Setup

Saw this browsing youtube today. Doesn't look like they were working with all that much. I see Yamaha HS5 monitors :). I happen to think they're making some of the best sounding pop music atm, which is impressive given the setup. Seems you don't need expensive gear to get good sound. I'm...
  16. richard12511

How can I tell if pink noise is accurate?

Now that I've got my new HTPC setup, I'm starting to experiment with manual PEQ(loaded in Roon) to try and improve some of the problems caused by my room. So starting off, I took a MM measurement using REW's pink noise generator. Here's what I'm starting with Great overall, but definitely a...
  17. richard12511

How can I get my HTPC to sound as good as my BlueSound Node2i?

Just bought a new Windows Laptop I had planned to use as a HTPC and Roon Core, but just like the 3 other machines I've tried, the sound quality is terrible. Switching back and forth between the Roon Server playing on WASAPI output via USBc to HDMI converter cable into my Yamaha Aventage RX-A880...
  18. richard12511

Why should I remove furniture before taking room correction measurements?

I asked this in another thread, but didn't really get any response. I've seen some very knowledgeable folks(including @mitchco) suggest that removing furniture (like couches, foot rest tables, etc.) will lead to superior room correction results. Dirac also says to make sure there is nothing(like...
  19. richard12511

Anyone ever read Harry Olson's Elements of acoustical engineering?

I was watching this interview with Jonathan Weiss of Oswalds Mill Audio. In the video, he makes several (imo)controversial statements(ex: horns should be straight, not curved), but the most interesting of those is that speakers should be designed with a lowercase n - or inverse v - curve. He...
  20. richard12511

Magico Ultimate vs Magico M6

Anyone ever heard both? Which is supposed to be their flagship? Ultimate is more expensive, but those giant horn systems never seem to measure very well. I know Magico uses a Klippel NFS to design their loudspeakers. Would really love to see a Magico measured by Amir to see how they stack up to...
Top Bottom